Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: My life

Best hunt of the year by far. Made some good memories with my dad

Ainít killed squat the past couple days but got some good pics anyway
    Deer huntin in south Alabama

Duck huntin in the salt water

Started the 2019/2020 huntin season off right. Feb- huntin conservation season in Mo and Arky, first day in Mo set my little pitiful spread of 400 decoys and my e caller, had a pair, a set of trips and one big wad of snows work my spread but none would commit, buddy called me and told me to come on down to Arky, got there got set up that morning between a roost and a loaving pond, set out 3000 sock decoys was having a great hunt until someone jump shot the loaving pond, ended up killing 26 that morning. Went back the next day set up 400 full bodies and a 1000 or so socks and killed a whopping 5.
    Got off the boat in April, went to Al went turkey hunting there, heard 3 gobbling on the roost, that Friday and Saturday they pitched down in the other direction, Saturday one of them got killed, Sunday I called two of them in to 80 yards they saw my hen decoy, locked up and gobbled wouldnít come any closer. Sunday afternoon me and my dad left for Fl to hunt Osceolas, first thing that morning I had a longbeard fly down and walk out about 70 yards away, shouldíve shot him but didnít. He took out across a cow pasture, we made a move to get on him but didnít, had a jake come running in to about 30 yards rolled him. Dad had a longbeard come in silent, had his legs stretched out and gun beside him, couldnít get the shot off. After I killed my turkey down there I went out hog hunting and killed 3 hogs, while my Dad tried to get on a bird that afternoon, he never did. I went with him that next morning a front had rolled through and shut everything down.
    Got back to Al Tuesday afternoon, tried the birds at the house Wednesday morning, called them to the edge of the field but they wouldnít cross the fence, headed out to Ky, got there, relaxed a day or so, hunted opening day, nothing happening a buddy of mine killed a nice longbeard that morning 12Ē beard 1 1/4Ē hooks. I headed back to Al. Woke up Sunday morning thought about going but figured itíd be best not to hunt during a tornado. Monday morning a front had rolled through, birds gobbled twice on the roost then nothing. Got up Tuesday morning, got set up, birds started hammering at about 6:30, flew down and shut up. Iíd throw out a call ever 10-15 mins at 7:45 two came out. 1 strutter 1 sub bird, I cut loose with a cut, he broke strut and I straight rolled him at 75 yards. Nice bird, 10Ē beard 1Ē hooks. Now Iím just waiting on September and bow season. Hope the season continues like itís been going. Also caught a nice mess of White Perch with my son one afternoon, found a decent shed and a handful of Morels. First time Iíve ever completed the ď Spring SlamĒ.

Well just thought my season was over. Going to Nebraska when I get off for a shot at a Merriams and Iíve found some public ground in Kansas in case I get lucky and get done early in Nebraska. Wouldnít that be awesome Osceolas in Fl, Easterns in Al, Merriams in Ne and Rios in KS. A grand slam in the same year

Half the time I wish I could just curl up under a rock and disappear

I think Iíve finally realized what my true destiny is. I think Iím bound to spend the rest of my years alone. Iím ok with that. This past time with Starla finally broke me. I was so there. Ready to give up everything I love, the boat, the sea, travel hunting. Settle down buy us a house, maybe not get married but at least build a future together. But like always things happened. I canít help but belive that her friends had a lot to do with it. One in particular thatís always been against us. So I think for now and for a long long while, possibly forever Iím out. Iím working overseas any way 60 on 21 off.

Sittin here on the boat the night before opening day of gun season in Kentucky, thinking back on some good memories.
    1st one was my first gun season up there, this was prolly 10 years ago, I left South Alabama at about 8am that Friday morning northbound on I65, once you got north of Montgomery Al you could feel the excitement in the air, nearly all the trucks headed north were pulling atvs and SxSís treestands sticking up out of the beds like a steel forest, everybody was happy, everybody was excited you could see it in their faces as they passed, you knew how the conversations inside were going, looking at the forecast, deciding where they were going to set up, looking at pictures, the excitement was palpable everybody had one thing one their mind, big whitetail buck deer.
    I got to my little camp in White Plains Kentucky, about 2pm, it was on old office in between 8 chicken houses. Couple buddies came over we laughed and had a good time. Iíd been up there during bow season in mid October, saw a couple good bucks, but had never hunted the November Rut. I got set up the next morning overlooking a 40 acer cut corn field, had a stud of a 9 come out prolly 135-140 type deer but passed him bc I wanted a 170, got out of the stand about 10, ride to uncle lees to see what had been brought in, on the way back I saw my 170 absolute giant of a buck. That was my introduction in to Midwest whitetail hunting.
    The next year, Iím up there huntin, buddy of mine calls me and asks if I can help him skin a deer his wife shot, what that means is Trae would you skin this deer, I donít feel like it and I know you enjoy it, so I did, ended up skinnin 5 or 6 that night, lost my phone had to go buy another one, called mom later that next day excited as I could be, I told her ďIíve been up to my eyeballs in deer hides and guts, I couldnít be happierĒ.
    The next year, Iíd been huntin hard, got off the boat, drove to Ky, dropped my ranger off, headed to Illinois, hunted there 4 days, drove back, started huntin Ky, grunted in a nice buck, couldnít tell much about him other than he was a good deer. Didnít see much the next couple days, few small bucks some slicks, nothing I wanted to shoot. Opening day of gun season rolls around weather changes, itís hot. No movement, the next day same story, hot, windy, but itís November and the bucks are on their feet looking for love. Iím Sittin in my stand itís 1pm havenít seen nothing since daylight, so I decide to eat, I lit a smoke, opened my sandwich, got a drink out of my pack just started eating, when he comes strolling through, I knew it was a good deer from a quick glance, threw down my sandwich, dropped my smoke, picked up my gun, he came to an open spot, I stopped him with a quick MEH, got him in my scope, only had one shot and about half a second to do it, squeezed the trigger and down he went. 135Ē 9 point, if his right side wouldíve matched his left heíd have been 150Ē deer.
    The next year, a buddy of mine from Fl got on the lease, he asked me where to go, I told him where to sit, not 2 hours after that he sends me a text that he got one, his first buck was a 140Ē clean 8. We went back there the next day I killed a 120Ē 10.
    My favorite memory I think, if not a close second, a guy Iíd met on a hunting forum and had been helping out as much as I could through messages, killed his first deer. He sent me a text just beside himself, then told me he was going to try to skin it. I asked if heíd ever done it before, he said no, but heíd watched YouTube videos, I just laughed and said just donít. Gave him my address and told him to bring it to my house (by that time Iíd moved up there) and Iíd show him how to do it. This guy pulls up and when he got out of his truck, I could tell he was so excited but also totally socially inept, it was a weird combination of excitement and anxiety at being around folks heíd never met, but, we all congratulated him, told him it was a fine buck, one to be proud of, tried our best to make him feel at home in our group if only for an hour or so, then I showed him the right way to skin a deer.
    My best memories though are of me and Thomas hunting together, his first deer, his first buck, all great times that Iíll forever hold dear to my heart

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Give Advice
Ask For Advice