Retaking BS degree (Canada/Australia)

fr0z3n

Hi guys. I've been planning on migrating to Canada or Australia, I currently live and a citizen here in the Philippines. It would still take me up to 2 years to finish my preparations for migrating, though it still seems long but I think being prepared as early as now wouldn't hurt.

As of now I have a 2 years trade certificate (Electrical Tech.) I already have 4+ years experience and next year upon completing my 5th yr exp. I'm going to enroll into a government program in which they will credit your work exp. as long as it is related to the course you'll be taking (by proving it) and you've been working for at least 5 years. I'm going to take Electrical Engineering.

By that time, that would be the start of my application (provided that the current laws still apply) to either of the countries mentioned above. To those who are living/lived in those countries, I would like to ask if it's possible to enroll in a University and retake a whole bachelor's degree from the ground up? It should also be considered that I already got one but obtained from outside those countries, specially not from a first world country, not included in the washington accord, and not even ABET accredited. It would be either directly into the university, foundation course first, or community college pathways (retaking an assoc. degree first).

The reason for this is if my plan to migrate would succeed, my chance of being recognized there would be either as an electrician or an engineering technician which for me is good already. Since the degrees obtained here in our country is assessed as lower than that from those countries (and won't even be recognized for an engineering licensure), I'm also not even sure if the degree I would get from the alternative learning system of our government would be recognized as I am thinking that it might be weird for foreign countries to see a bachelor's degree obtained in only a year of study.

Do you think the route I mentioned above would work? I really would like to succeed as an engineer abroad and this is a great opportunity if this is possible. Thanks.

I'm from Canada.

Just to clarify, what specifically is your degree? To my knowledge, which I will admit is limited, Electrical Technicians make quite good money but don't require a degree, more a trade ticket.

I'm sure you could re-take an entire degree. It might be a little frustrating having to spend 4 years in university, re-learning material and paying tuition. You might be able to fast track it by skipping your electives since you already have a BSc.

I currently hold a 2 years vocational/college certificate in electrical technology. By next year, I would be eligible to take an equivalency program and would be able to obtain a BSc. degree in Electrical Engineering in just 1 year.

Although that somewhat special type of BSc. is recognized here in our country and on par with a traditional BSc, I doubt its assessment result by WES/IQAS would be similar to a Canadian BSc. since it might not meet the required 3-4 years study in obtaining a BSc. degree.

I've been an electrical technician for 4+ yrs now and I love this trade, this is also the reason why I like to further upgrade my career. Since I have a plan to migrate, I would like to know/prepare which road to take to reach my goals.

Thank you very much for the info you've shared.

Write WES/IQAS and ask.

On one hand, you will have done 3-4 years study because you did 2 years for the vocational school and more than 1 year to take the BSc. Is this any different from the US system of 2 year community colleges with transfers to 4 year colleges?

I would find out whether your qualifications are individually recognised? So can you get credit for the 2 year cert from WES/IQAS and then can you get credit for the 1 year upgrade.

(In NZ, this information would be on the NZQA website. I wouldn't be surprised if the Australians at least had it on the equivalent website.)

ahh I see. It sounds as though yours and our systems do differ.

A BSc in electrical engineering would have a different route than a certificate in electrical technology I think. Although there would certainly be some overlap in the your scope, generally a ticket, certificate or diploma would be done at a college or technical school, where as a BSc would be at a university. There are some schools in Canada that might offer a similar route to what you have such as The British Columbia Institute of Technology but it differs from the say the University of British Columbia. Your best bet would be to contact the universities themselves and ensure that you are following the right path.

Again, I am not an engineer, so I might have the wrong info.

Thank you very much toby and appies.

@toby:

that might be a good suggestion, as per the WES process, they require to only submit the credentials from the last/highest institution attended where the qualification is obtained. Maybe while not being enrolled yet in a BSc., I may submit my current qualification to see how it is compared in Canada and then submit again after I obtain a BSc. through that alternative program. Technically yes if we would sum it all, I would have studied a total of 3 years once I obtain the degree but it's not like a pathway system similar in the US (or ladderized as we call it here) but it is a program which would credit work experience thus they require the minimum 5 years and then an additional year or more depending on how you will prove that you've learned the subjects while working and taking an exam.

@appies:

yes they are different, I've talked to a fellow Filipino engineer who already migrated there and he said that he got it tough to obtain a professional license there. He haven't updated his blog yet about the success of his application at APEGA. He obtained his degree the traditional way from a reputable university and already has a masters degree and his assessment is similar to a 4 yrs BSc. there in Canada. I don't have much research yet about different university pathways there in Canada but in Australia, seems like universities has a lot of pathway programs. For example taking a diploma in electrical technology or associate degree in engineering technology would get you accepted in the BEng in Electrical Eng with some years credited. I don't know if there are similar programs there in Canada. If there is, all I need to worry is to be accepted in a program like that using my current credentials.

Archived