Facing 2nd lay off within a very short period of time...

I was laid off from a well known software company after nearly 7 years. The lay off was part of a reduction in work force and outsourcing of jobs. My manager made it clear that it was no way related to my performance and around 4% of the company was being let go. I then started job search and managed to find a job with a promising start-up. Unfortunately just 4 months into the new job there are strong rumors about layoffs as the company is not doing good. I am very worried now as this will be the second lay off within a very short period of time. Will this affect me when I look for new jobs? What should I tell the recruiters?

Please advise...

If you were in good standing with the manager at your 7 year gig and his name is a ref on your resume, I do not think it will negatively affect your possible future job hunt.

Also, I am sending positive, successful vibes your way!

No. For the current situation, tell them exactly what you said here. Startups going under is not exactly news.

As for the previous job, tell them that for financial reasons your company outsourced your particular job to overseas, so everyone who was doing that job was let go. Essentially, you were let go because your job was eliminated. Don't just say laid off or the recruiter will think you just weren't good enough to keep around. Don't mention 4% either.

Overall, staying for 7 years in a job actually is a huge plus on a resume. You should be fine. It shows stability. One tip on your resume is that if you really do end up getting laid off or the company you are with now shuts down before a year is out, put that in parenthesis on your resume (company closed) That way it doesn't raise an eyebrow on why only a few months at the job.

The other part is start looking for a new job right now. Don't wait until things go down. This way you are still working and you can always say that you are looking because the company is not likely to stay open.

Also, get your performance evaluations and make copies of it to hand out during the interview. I did this twice and it blew everyone's socks off! Also, don't forget to get a writer letter of rec from your Supv. I once worked I a medical office for CAT. Well, CAT laid off half of its workforce, including me, and I had only been there 5 months. My boss wrote me a recommendation letter and she included in the letter how she was sorry I was let go because of the mass layoff.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived