Should I Facebook message old acquaintance from high school I recently saw?

laugherty

Well, I didn't see her, she actually saw me, and that was all...

I guess first let me say I'm living in a bigger city that is relatively close to my hometown. A girl I went to high school with just started work at the same place as one of my friends - also in bigger city. She mentioned to him that she saw me at my work (I work in retail) the other day. Per my friend, I guess she was there with a friend and saw me asked her friend if that was me. Someone I work with heard her ask that and said that yes it is me. She didn't come say hi or anything, because she didn't know if I would know who she was. Which I'm not sure if I would have - We went to high school together, but that was about it really. She graduated a couple classes under me, we didn't really see each other at parties or anything, but we still knew each other.

So I don't think it says anything that she didn't come up to me. And I'm not saying that her mentioning me was anything more than that. Just her saying to my friend she works with something like, "I didn't know you lived up here. I saw 'laugherty' the other day too."

What I am saying is that I now have an opening to talk to her, but my only means of communication would be to add and message her on Facebook. I was thinking about messaging her and just saying something like, "Hey 'friend' told me you all work together. He also said you saw me at work the other day and didn't say anything. Next time you are in you should come say hey!" And then hope she does come in and say hi, and I can hopefully get things going from there. Or should I just message her and say, "I heard you work with bla bla.. I didn't know you lived up here.. We should get lunch/drinks sometime," and just initiate a date?

Like I said, we never really "knew" each other as much as we "knew of" each other. So would it be weird in the first place to even message her? Thanks in advance for any feedback and tips on what should say/do!

Archived