Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

First business trip... first trip!!!

happy_snapper

So I've jumped in at the deep end here.

I've never left the UK before, don't travel much, only been on a plane once when I was 18 months old...

And guess what? My company are sending me off to give on-site support to one of our customers, in Taiwan. Alone. Next week.

I'm flying to the other side of the world on Sunday.

Now, I'm very glad it's happening like this, it's an amazing opportunity. Expenses paid, airport transfers taken care of... plus the guys I'm going to see are going to look after me while I'm there, so I've got free tour guides. Pretty bloody amazing. It would cost thousands for a trip like this.

But god am I nervous...

Any tips for me? General travelling advice? Long-haul flying tips?

Anybody been to Taiwan?

I'm just a bit worried that I'm going to get lost, or forget to do something and miss my flight, or something like that.

I'm so excited for you! It should be a great trip but yes, definitely a bit nerve racking for your first flight to be both solo and international!

Make sure you get to the airport a few hours early. Domestic flights you're good with showing up 2 hours early, but since it is international and your first trip I would arrive 3 hours early. I would both check a bag & have a carry on. Make sure you have everything you could need for 2 days in your carry on bag in case your checked bag gets lost, so you have work clothes, medications or whatever else you need right away no matter what happens. Also put your name, phone number and address on a tag inside the checked bag as well as outside. Look up what can be take on carry on bags. Liquids I think have to fit in a quart sized bag and each container in carry ons can only be 2 or 3 ounces, I don't remember for sure. Don't take anything in a carry on that will be confiscated, like a pocket knife or multitool. Keep your wallet, IDs & passport on you when flying. If the hotel seems secure I will leave my passport there during the day because I figure there is a bigger chance it would get lost or stolen than taken from the hotel. But it always depends on the hotel; I would guess your company is sending you to a decent place. I always make a photocopy of my license & passport & email it to myself when I travel, so that if I lose it or it gets stolen I still can still get a copy of it anywhere.

Will your phone work there? Might want to check on the international plan. Will you need internet access? Might want to see if it's offered at the hotel, and if not where you can get it nearby. I would print off the name & address of the hotel and anywhere else you have to be. I would be a little nervous about traveling someplace that doesn't speak English or Spanish! Is English frequently spoken in the area you are visiting?

Look into what form of money you will need. I'm guessing you use the euro right? Do they accept that there? You might want to exchange money at your bank before going. Bring enough cash so you will be covered for emergencies, but not so much that will be a huge deal if it is stolen. I'm always cautious for thieves when I travel but I really don't know anything about Taiwan. I just wouldn't keep my wallet in my back pocket. When I travel & I'm carrying a backpack in a crowded area, I carry it in front rather than on my back & I don't put anything in the easily acceptable zippers that I wouldn't want to get stolen.

Lastly, I would make a travel appointment with your doctor to see if there are any vaccinations you should get before you leave. I would also ask for an antibiotic in case the food doesn't agree with you and you get traveler's diarrhea. You might also want to stock up on a few basic over the counter meds before you leave: tylenol or ibuprofen, antacids if you get heartburn sometimes, loperamide for diarrhea. I think the CDC has a list of what they recommend bringing when you travel. It's a lot of stuff but you can just bring what seems relevant to you for the time you will be there. You can always purchase items that you need when you get there anyway. I'll see if I can find it.

That's all I can think of for now but I'll post more if I think of anything that I forgot to mention.

I hope you have a great time!

Archived