Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Alright, go on then."

Awesome response to a breakup!

Gold Member
    This is a very interesting topic and in an ideal world, the "Alright, go on then" is a perfect response (or something to that effect) but as others have mentioned, how possible is it? Yes, you can say the words, you can maintain a strong face but how long does it last? For some, it is a lasting thing and those who have developed the emotional maturity to accept something like that coming to an end, I give you a lot of credit.

I've technically never been broken up with in person in the formal sense BUT (even worse), my relationship kind of ended itself way back in 2007 (my first gf) when I not only found out that she cheated on me but but that she was pretty much this new guy's gf and didn't even bother to tell me. Once I called her out on it, she made no effort to hide it, but she also didn't care because she had already 'moved on' ... despite the fact that she wronged me, I cried (yeah, dumb...) and tried not to let her see but we worked together so even without the crying, it was obvious I was effected.

That was one ex... my other one dumped me only over the phone and it was always during what would seem like a 'normal' conversation. There was no "I need to talk" because we talked on the phone so often... so on one of those 'talks', it turned into "Hey, I just don't think we're meant to be together" or something like that. I cried during a couple of those calls, then kept it cool on another one but what was worse was actually when I kept my feelings in, only to come back and look pathetic later... I almost would've rather let it out at the time (because that's at least understandable and expected) than to act okay with it and then come back begging or asking what went wrong weeks later. Granted, we got back together once when I did that but... well, again, hope I've learned my lesson. This was all 3 years ago and I haven't had a gf since so I can't say I've even had the "opportunity" to react to another "We have to talk" type of moment

Bronze Member
    Originally Posted by reinventmyself
    My ex bf told me once on the phone during the early stages of dating. . `I have something to tell you. I am not feelin' it'

With that he wanted to engage in some ongoing dialog and I just wanted off the phone.
    After hearing that there wasn't any thing to discuss as far as I was concerned. Still not sure if the conversation would have been for his benefit or mine. But I suspect it was for him.
    I interrupted him midsentence and said I had to go.
    I didn't call . .I didn't ask. What was the point?

We ended up getting back together at a later date. .but that's a whole 'nother story. But the `not feelin' it' comment never left me. .
    I fell for the pointless "ongoing dialogue" in my recent break up. I was ready to end it with "ok, do you," but she continued to babble about her rationale behind the break up.

Before I knew it, I was riding the Rollercoaster of anger, sadness, mushyness and she was the operator. I still managed to end the conversation first, but not as quickly as I expected.

Oh well, sometimes we fumble.

Originally Posted by reinventmyself
    He had some time to think about it, I suppose. . I also think he respected the way I handled my end.
    Add in he had just gotten out of a relationship and had all sorts of things he needed to sort through emotionally.

I can't say for sure that strength changes the outcome.
    I can say for sure coming undone and acting out can.
    Are you guys still together after the reconciliation?

Originally Posted by PaintWithLight
    Are you guys still together after the reconciliation?
    NO. .that ended a year ago

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Give Advice
Ask For Advice