Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended Books

Originally Posted by Lucia Amman
    Come As You Are
    hey isn't that a song from Nirvana?

My recommendations are particular and depending on everyone's taste. I prefer the science fiction (especially short stories), fantasy, suspense route. I love reading books that grab and drag me accross the pages.

I am currently reading Slaughterhouse Five and love it. I plan to jump on A Clockwork Orange shortly. I go to Reddit's /books subfourm for recommendations.

My top picks for ALL readers:
    I am Malala. I love this girl and her family so much.
    How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. I read this from time to time for personal and professional development.
    Last edited by Snny; 10-20-2015 at 12:20 PM.

Not strictly a book. This article has been around for a while, and is very germane to many of the discussions on this forum IMO.

"There are certain general characteristics that define a mentally healthy individual. A hallmark of mental health is the ability to tolerate uncertainty, which is demonstrated in our capacity to carefully weigh choices before deciding a course of action. Because we can tolerate the tension that occurs while going through the process of choosing, we can more accurately make a final decision. Mentally unsound individuals cannot tolerate much tension, which is why their actions tend to be irrational and impulsive".

IMO a VERY important article

"The causes of chronic sulking are not clear. There might be a genetic component, but one of the latest theories is that it develops in childhood as a punishment for mum in a way which is least likely to trigger chastisement. According to Jukes, sulking in men can also be the first, vital sign of abuse: "In my experience, a very high proportion of abusers are prone to severe attacks of sulking, and have been in a sulk for most of their lives, deriving as it does from the basic fault and desire to punish the inadequate primary carer, mother,'' says Jukes, author of Men Who Batter Women.

"Most abuse is incremental. It starts in a small way, maybe with sulking, and then escalates. It is very rare that a man begins with a vicious attack. They often start by feeling resentment and then withdrawing.''"

Very thought-provoking

Why do some people choose one bad relationship after another.

"Giving up a destructive relationship is difficult. The brief moments of validation are cherished, and the person who finally leaves must relinquish the hope of "earning" more. When the person finally breaks free they are faced with an immediate and lasting feeling of emptiness and self-blame that makes them question their decision."

"The Disease to Please" by Harriet B. Braiker

A book.

Helpful for the "people pleasers" out there.

Not a book, but a very sound article IMO

W"e have all suffered many forms of abuse but the least talked about is “The mind game” otherwise known as the silent treatment; ie deliberately ignored to cause harm to another persons mental well being, sent to Coventry, deliberate sabotage to a persons life or/and credibility and is one of the most harmful methods of abuse used by abusers who feel that

“If they do not use their hands to physically abuse then it isn’t abuse.”

Wrong"
    "To deliberately cause harm to someone by use of the silent treatment, deny a person any emotional care, deny them any praise, starve them of love, affection, compliments, positive feed back, to regularly reject, degrade and deny a person any emotional responsiveness and to ignore a persons needs is mental abuse or also known as psychological abuse. It is repetitive abuse that’s aimed at controlling, diminishing another persons well being in order to hurt, punish, harm or control them."
    "The abuser will behave in society charming, calm, happy, he will be seen by others as a pillar of society, gentle natured, helpful, kind, caring and fool the outside world into thinking he is abused and his partner is the abuser. This is classic of a mental abuser. They will have their partner labelled a mental case whilst he plays the victim and saint and makes her the subject of of every ones rejection by labelling her with an unbalanced mind."

As so many, in pain, who come on this board seem to come under this category I thught I'd post this up:

"So if you want true love, if you want the real thing, prepare yourself to start letting go of being a Fixer. Get some help working on what you are going to replace the Fixer role with. Talk with others about what you really want from a partner. And start healing yourself, chapter by chapter.

When you are healed into a place where you have something to offer other than fixing someone, you will begin to attract those who don’t need fixing. It will take work and it will take time. But do you have anything better to do that will serve you more?"

/

Nodding towards one of the threads on the site, there is this book:

Constructing and Reconstructing Childhood by Allison James, Alan Prout

A book:

"Sexual Panic - America's New Era of Witch Hunting" by Jerry Steinbach

Sounds like an interesting read.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice