Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Traveling to Ireland

overthemoon86

Hi ENA!!

I hope everyone is doing well!! I have a super exciting summer planned and I cannot wait! My first summer plan is a trip to Ireland. We are going May 28th-June 7th and are traveling to Cork, Kerry, Limerick, and Galway. If anyone has been to Ireland and has any suggestions, I would love to hear them! Also, do you exchange your money before or after you get there? I have heard both sides, let me know your thoughts!!!

EEEKKKKK two more days!!

Cork is a lovely town, not as big as Dublin but not small either- Go to Blarney Castle to kiss the Blarney stone and take a visit to Cobh (pronounced Cove) which is the town where the Titanic set sail from on its last trip. There is also a wildlife park there which is lovely.

Kerry is so nice, beautiful scenery. Don't leave there without going to the Gap of Dunloe...one of my favourite place. Restaurants are lovely and have traditional Irish food.

Limerick ...yes it was known as stab city....can be rough at night in the city but I think a lot of that fuss has died down. Bunratty Castle is on the border between Limerick and Claire.

Galway, I haven't been to but it's meant to be a fabulous city , slightly hippyish and fun town with beautiful places to visit there. Perhaps visit the Aran Islands.

Cork is lovely, Cobh too, there is a little linen shop in Cobh were you can get beautiful Irish linen tea towels (way better than the ones they sell in the tourist shops).

Killarney was my favorite town, and there is a riding stable there that does horse riding tours through the mountain, if that is something that interests you.

Travel on the Paddy Wagon day tours out to see the Cliffs of Mohr, really beautiful, they were featured in the Princess Bride movie (the Cliffs of Insanity).

You can get to the Jamieson whiskey distillery fairly quickly on a commuter train from cork, they have an interesting tour and whiskey tastings.

Your gonna have fun!! Irish people are so friendly and chatty. I took the commuter trains a lot (I travelled alone) and I was always approached by Irish folk who were curious about me and I had some really lovely conversations.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the advise!! Sorry I am a bit late, but I absolutely loved Ireland! I loved every minute of it and wish we could go back right this minute. I am already trying to plan another trip

I spent 5 days in Cork - what an awesome place! I loved walking around the town, drinking in the pubs at night and of course we went to the Blarney stone...I did not have the courage to kiss it though

We also spent some time in Kinsale, beautiful seaside town.

Then we spent two days in Kilarney, did the ring of Kerry and saw Valencia Island.

Limerick just turned out to be a stop over point before the Cliffs of Mohr so we didn't spend any time there.

Then we spent the last 3 days in Galway and were able to get out to the Aran Islands as well.

All in all, it was one of the most amazing trips I have ever taken and I highly recommend visiting if you can

Basically everything charity said is right. I live in Cobh myself. Another nice town is kinsale. I hope you have a nice holiday here!

A co-worker of mine spent some time in Kinsale and LOVED it.

To the OP, how was your trip? My guy and I are headed to the U.K. in March - sooo excited!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have stayed 5 days in Cork. It was the first time in my life that i thought " i love it ,i want to stay here forever" . I want to visit Ireland again(and again) , Galway and Kerry will be the first places for my next trip. I also want to visit Cavan and Donegal . Irish girls have the sexiest voices ever btw.

I loved Cork!! My boyfriend and I spent the longest time there and absolutely loved it. The people were so friendly, there was so much to do and the scenery was amazing. Not to mention the food was excellent I really liked Galway as well...we only got to spend two days there and next time we go, I want to spend more time there

Archived