LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 92 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: benign tumour in my brain

benign tumour in my brain

got diagnosed yesterday, and i have a 2cm benign tumour in my brain, it is called Acoustic Neuroma
    does anybody have any experiences with this or know of someone who does? please no horror stories, i am freaking out enough as it is.
    but i wonder, did anybody have it and got radiation or surgery and have some encouraging words for me?
    it feels weird that there is this thing in my head...probably been there for years since it grows really slow, usually around 1-2mm a year, didn't have real symptoms until i developed trigeminal neuralgia, excruciating pains in my lower jaw that came and went, dentist send me to neurologist, got an mri and this came out.....

Platinum Member tiredofvampires's Avatar
    That must be very scary. But it's benign, and that's the good news.

So if it grows slowly, does the doctor think it will eventually cause more symptoms and/or need to be removed? Would removing it be advisable to eradicate the trigeminal neuralgia? Your doctor must have told you what to expect, and whether it's operable or not?

thank you, no i got the diagnoses yesterday from my neurologist, and he is sending me to an oncologist team and an ear doctor since they both have to treat this, he told me they will know more than he does and he doesn't want to say anything that might not be true, so i now have to go to the ear doctor next week and then the oncologist team asap, and only then will i know more....
    there are three options, wait and do nothing and monitor it's growth, which seems unlikely because of the TN i have, radiation to see if it shrinks, or surgery to remove it, but they need to look further to make sure which is the best option, so that will take more time...
    it is not life threatening, unless it grows towards the brainstem, that can be fatal.....

Platinum Member
    hiya my darling ..you where my first thought this morning xxxxx I wont clog up this , hope someone has some experience with it .

My best friends mum had a brain tumor about eight years ago. She found out she had it due to becoming very forgetful and confused. They removed the tumor and all is good. She has regular check ups and everything looks great. Also my next door neighbour had one around 15 years ago and she is absoloutly fine nowI'm not sure if she had it removed she just said she had one but was fine now.

I've heard of other people having them and to be fair everyone I know whose had a benign tumor has been fine. Brain cancer is a whole different ballgame.

I know that hearing tumor...even if it is benign has to be terrifying. But I have every faith you will be just fine.

thank you sapphire! that is very helpful! yes knowing it is benign is a relief but just the word tumour, in my brain, sounds so weird and scary....

Platinum Member
    yes I think after the word tumour most of us would have passed out ... its very scary for you darling

at least mom is doing better, but weird day!!

oh and yes, the neuroligist was nice enough to start with there is a tumour! and then proceeded to tell me it was benign, but i was in shock, almost didn't hear the rest.....nice!! not!

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by sara-pezzini
    oh and yes, the neuroligist was nice enough to start with there is a tumour! and then proceeded to tell me it was benign, but i was in shock, almost didn't hear the rest.....nice!! not!
    oh good god ...no exactly ..I wouldn't have heard past that either ..I owuld have been on the floor . Have you had a call off dad yet today ..

Page 1 of 92 1234 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice