Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

18 days in Europe, trouble figuring our itinerary (usa>poland, then spain?)

BigKK

So in about a week and a half I am flying to Poland for a cousin's wedding with my girlfriend. I am having a tough time deciding my itinerary to be honest. The initial plan was go to Poland, visit some family for a day or two, then fly to barcelona, then fly back, go to another city in Poland, and then go to the wedding.

The thing is, I want to see Barcelona...but part of me just needs a vacation. zipping back and forth between the two countries will shed at least a day total in travel time when you include arriving early to airports, etc. I know part of me wants to see Spain, and then find a sleepy beach town and just relax but another part of me just wants to stay in Poland, and perhaps jump out to Czech republic, austria or Germany, and just keep it local via trains, and cars, and only devote a few hours between cities for driving.

I was considering just having a few potential itineraries planned, but I am feeling run down and I am not sure if that is affecting my decision making. My girlfriend is on the same page...she will be returning a few days before our flight from a 2 week business trip, a family member passing, and having surgery...so she is also a little indecisive and says she'll be happy wherever we are.

So I wanted to just throw it out there and see if anyone has some thoughts. I am also trying to look at extended forecasts, if its supposed to just rain the whole time in Poland, maybe that'll be my cue to leave. Last but not least, I was supposed to go to FC Barcelona's last game but ticket prices are currently $500+ so I think part of me potentially changing my mind is being bummed I cannot attend.

Edit: One clarification, my girlfriend has only been to Greece for a week, and that's her total European experience. Neither of us have been in Spain, I've been to Poland probably 10-15+ times, but not too many times as an adult.

18 days?! And you live all the way in San Diego? Seriously, you MUST make the most of that trip. If you've already been to Poland so many times, I'd go somewhere else completely (except for the wedding of course, lol). Poland is an OK place but there are so many better places to see in Europe.

If you have 18 days then I dont see the problem with a few days in Spain. But if you decide against it, go to Berlin and Prague, they are close to Poland and always worth a trip.

Also check ryanair, they have cheap flights to anywhere in Europe from almost anywhere in Poland. Stockholm (Sweden) isn't that far by plane either and an amazing place to visit, too.

There's just so many options, dont let laziness/comfort get in the way of seeing some awesome places that you dont get the chance to see every day.

I've never been to Europe, so I can't help you. I just came here to tell you I'm insanely jealous...and have fun! Things might be different when you get there. Jay and I thought I would crash in Mexico and want to do nothing, and he'd be wanting to do stuff...and it turned out to be the opposite. I think you've just got to go and see what you feel like doing.

Personally, I'd be going to all the old churches. I think anyway lol. One day.

I am thinking of setting up a few itineraries. Like a Plan A, B, and C.

I wouldn't call it laziness, I would call it being burnt out a little...and perhaps a few days in a quiet town is just what I'll need.

I spoke to my cousin today whose traveled a lot and he suggested to go with the A,B,C plan and then depending on weather and other factors, to just pull the trigger.

For example, I want to go horseback riding in the mountains for a day, if I am loving it...I'll stay longer, if I want a complete change of pace, perhaps I'll book a flight to Montenegro or Spain in 3 days and make my way back to an airport.

Stockholm is the cheapest flight I've seen, the problem is I've been to many places around Poland, I stayed in Stockholm for 3 weeks, but I could show my girlfriend. I guess it's a balance of having fun showing her places, and also seeing some new stuff for me too. It was easier to do this stuff when I traveled alone, since it all depended on how I am feeling. This is the first time I am with someone that likes to travel as much as I do (and we actually do it) so I guess I am still learning...

You're right faraday, when I travel I get a little bit high on the prospects of everything and get this energy about me that is hard to keep up with... So we'll see...

I understand the burnout feeling! If you want to relax a bit, Hallstatt, Austria is a beautiful mountain village with boating and hiking. It was super-cute and you can spend a few days just wandering around and hanging out with people.

Otherwise, I second RyanAir and GermanWings for cheap and fast flights around Europe.

I'm feeling a little bit better, I've slept the last two days, from 5pm - 8am, so I must of been running on empty.

I guess the balancing act of showing my girlfriend my country while also exploring new things will be the trick, but a fun problem. I haven't looked at German Wings. I will take a look at the village, thanks for the tip. I am actually looking for a little bit off the cuff things that hordes of tourists don't go to.

Depending on weather, if it's raining in Poland, either I'll just fly out or rent a car and leave. I was also recommended Croatia for the beaches, I've only been inland in Croatia, but it doesn't look like there are any cheap flights.

I'm feeling a little bit better, I've slept the last two days, from 5pm - 8am, so I must of been running on empty.

I guess the balancing act of showing my girlfriend my country while also exploring new things will be the trick, but a fun problem. I haven't looked at German Wings. I will take a look at the village, thanks for the tip. I am actually looking for a little bit off the cuff things that hordes of tourists don't go to.

Depending on weather, if it's raining in Poland, either I'll just fly out or rent a car and leave. I was also recommended Croatia for the beaches, I've only been inland in Croatia, but it doesn't look like there are any cheap flights.

If you end up somewhere in Germany let me know where and maybe I'll be able to reciprocate with some suggestions. I am from Southern Germany and am biased towards Bavaria/Franconia (think Nuremberg and further South), but I may have some suggestions depending where you go.

tine

If you end up somewhere in Germany let me know where and maybe I'll be able to reciprocate with some suggestions. I am from Southern Germany and am biased towards Bavaria/Franconia (think Nuremberg and further South), but I may have some suggestions depending where you go.

tine

Germany is a possibility but a small one. I was considering doing a Warsaw > Prague > Vienna > Salsburg > Munich > Berlin > Warsaw loop.... the issue is I've been to all those places already! I'm sure my GF would enjoy those, but like I said... I'm trying to find a fine balance of showing her stuff, and also exposing myself to new places... She hardly has seen Europe so I will have to re-do a lot of places which I don't mind, but there is still a lot to see there

I know you have been there. But trust me it will be different taking your girlfriend and showing her these places. And also, have you done everything there is to do? Did you ever visit Auschwitz or Dachau? A friend of mine just went to Dachau on her trip to Munich and she was as moved as I was when I was a teenager visiting the site.

Of course there are also more fun things to do than a concentration camp tour. But finding a balance of showing her new places and seeing new things yourself is good. I personally re-do Munich every time I'm in Germany (and no, I'm not from Munich). I just love that city and there is always something there I enjoy (BMW museum, Deutsches Museum, walk around the shopping district to the Marienplatz...).

• 1 month later...

I think you're kind of stuck if you're going to be going to Poland, and want to expose yourself to new places, but have been to pretty much every country in Central Europe already. Spain would surely be a bit of a stretch. You didn't mention Budapest though, and I can certainly recommend that. Also, you know, Poland is a wonderful place. It's just about my favourite country in Europe to visit, especially Warsaw, I loved it there. If you were a lot younger last time you were there then I'd say you'll have a lot to enjoy about the place as an adult, with a girlfriend. I really loved the nightlife when I was there.

Archived