Child Support payments Reanalyzed?

Guitargrinder

Short story - Approximately 4 months after our divorce was final, my ex-wife informs me that she is moving with the kids back to my area (she moved 2 hours away for a job during the separation). She took this job so that the kids could be back in their old school and (without me asking) makes it a point to tell me she took a pay decrease when she moved back. She asks if she can move back into the house with the kids, take over the payments and I move out (to which I agree). I didn't need a 2500 sq ft house by myself.

September, she approaches me about buying the house from me and she takes out a loan in her name alone. I agree.

Today, I get a surprise phone call from my children all excited saying that their in the car with their mother on their way to Disney World. (I'm a little miffed because my ex didn't tell me that she was taking the kids out of the state (SC) to Florida for a week). I ask my ex why she didn't give me notice.

Her response: You don't tell me when you take the kids to VA to see your parents.

Me: Yes, I do. And my parents are only 2 hours away. (FL is probably 12 hours away)

Her: Well, I'm not arguing with you.

Me: Are the grandparents going with you?

Her: No, my friend Denise is (I have no idea who Denise is)

So:

She takes a new job.

Makes it a point to tell me she took a salary decrease.

Is provided a company car.

Buys the house off me.

And, now is taking my two children to Disney for a full week.

Should I consider contacting my lawyer to have child support analyzed? I know it would cost me money, but at least it may save me money in the long run.

I think it's worth it. How is she paying for the new house and disneyworld with a salary decrease? (Unless Denise is Dennis, her new sugar daddy????) Be aware that you could wind up paying more, if she is telling the truth about the lower paying job.

Confused - so your child support changed to a higher amount when she chose to take a lower paying job and move back, and now you want it go lower again because she is going to Florida and bought the house from you? Isn't child support the same no matter what the ex-wife makes, like X dollars per child?

SophieGrace, my child support has never changed. Always been the same. My point is that I'm wondering if she's making more than she was since the divorce. It's to her benefit to not inform me if she is, because the more money she makes, the less child support I would owe. Thus my suspicious points:

Makes it a point to tell me she took a salary decrease with her new job (without me questioning).

Is provided a company car.

Buys the house off me.

And, now is taking my two children to Disney for a full week.

I'm not sure about other states but in MN, it's not X amount per child, we have a standard child support calculator provided by the state department of Hunan resources. It takes into consideration what each person currently makes and/or what their potential is, as well as medical/dental insurance and spousal maintenance. If their is nothing in your decree about curcumstances surrounding re-evaluation of child support (frequency to be re-evaluated, what happens if someone loses a job, etc), then you'd have to request explicitly that it be re-evaluated. Request a motion to modify to have it evaluated every year or two.

As far as her trip to Disney World is concerned, unless it messed with your custody schedule and she didn't discuss it with you, who cares if she's going with Dennis or Denise for that matter. Do you have a custody agreement?

Archived