Open Club  ·  30 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Best Method to Speak Italian Fluently

AnalyzeThis

I took three years of French in college, and I was the secretary of our French language club. My grandparents from Italy never learned English very well, and they and my father spoke Italian in the home. Until I was 16, I could somewhat understand it, barely speak it.

I don't know if a formal continuing education class would be the fastest way. I visited Italy once, and they wanted to practice their English.

Check into language meetups along with something like duo lingo for a refresher. I don't think meetup was yet a thing or at least not a popular one when I was learning a second language, but conversing with others was the best way, imo, from moving from intermediate formal education to fluency.

• 4 years later...

There's no single "best way" to learn any language, as everyone prefers different learning methods and everyone has different goals. If your aim is to be able to read the works of Dante, your approach is going to be completely different to someone who wants to chat in colloquial Italian to native speakers.

I had a big trip to Italy coming up. To prepare, I used Pimsleur exclusively. I used to work a half hour from my house. On my rides to work, I would listen to a Pimsleur recording. I would repeat the lesson on the ride home.

This worked wonderfully, but I made the most progress after I went to Italy. For the two weeks I was in Rome, I would chat every afternoon with the lady who worked in the local pizza shop.

With these two methods combined, I could communicate easily enough with people in Rome, Florence, and Milan.. The people in Naples and Ottaviano were unintelligible to my ears.

There's no single "best way" to learn any language, as everyone prefers different learning methods and everyone has different goals. If your aim is to be able to read the works of Dante, your approach is going to be completely different to someone who wants to chat in colloquial Italian to native speakers.

I had a big trip to Italy coming up. To prepare, I used Pimsleur exclusively. I used to work a half hour from my house. On my rides to work, I would listen to a Pimsleur recording. I would repeat the lesson on the ride home.

This worked wonderfully, but I made the most progress after I went to Italy. For the two weeks I was in Rome, I would chat every afternoon with the lady who worked in the local pizza shop.

With these two methods combined, I could communicate easily enough with people in Rome, Florence, and Milan.. The people in Naples and Ottaviano were unintelligible to my ears.

Why are you reviving all these old threads about travel? This one is 4 years old.

Archived