Girlfriend is on Mirena, will she still get her period?

SuperDuper

Hello, I posted about 2 weeks ago saying that my girlfriend was against the IUD and was considering charting ( link here: )

However, she stopped being so stubborn and has agreed to try it out. Today she got it put in and I feel like we took a mature, safe step forward in our relationship. My question is this, how will I know if she is not pregnant? Does she still get her regular period?

We had sex twice earlier this week before the IUD and we used a condom, and I know its VERY unlikely she'll get pregnant, will she still get her period in 2 weeks time, or will we have to wait for tender breasts, tiredness etc, and then take a pregnancy test in order to verify she's pregnant??

All feedback is welcome! Thanks

When you get the Mirena inserted, it will screw with your hormones for a bit. She will probably bleed today.

Her doctor would have done a pregnancy test at the office a few days before insertion....but if you're concerned, you should ask her to take one when she is due for her period.

I've been on the Mirena for 6 years...and I get my period (with actual blood) maybe 4-7 times a year. It lasts a day. I get period like symptoms every month, but sporadically (like breast tenderness, my bf offering me random chocolate, that one zit I only get on my period).

So...you probably won't know by periods. But after you check for pregnancy this time...she'd be a statistical anomaly if she got pregnant. It's very rare. Just check to make sure you can feel the string. Either she can (her doctor told her to check monthly) or you can during foreplay, if you're concerned.

I have a Mirena and my doctor told me I likely will not have periods, or at the most, some spotting. But I've read that some women do have a more heavier flow occasionally. My coworker has one too and she says she does not bleed or even spot. We both have the 5 year one.

It depends on the person, but she should have really asked her doctor these questions.

It's more likely she'll have some colored discharge rather than actual bleeding.

She should still get her period, however, because Mirena is hormone releasing her period will probably be somewhat irregular during the first few months. She's also likely to have in-between period spotting as well as a good chance of heavier bleeding and cramping when she does get her period. At least for the first few months while her body adjusts to the new device and hormones.

But, on the plus side, this will be birth control she won't have to worry about for five years and typically her periods will reduce in frequency and duration after her body becomes accustomed to it.

If she is uncertain about a possible pregnancy, then, yes, she should take a pregnancy test after she misses a period in the first few months.

I have the Mirena. The doctor did a quick urine pregnancy test on me prior to insertion. I guess it's for liability purposes, so someone couldn't get Mirena put in and then spin around and claim "I WAS PREGNANT DIDN'T KNOW IT AND THEN THAT MEAN DOCTOR KILLED MY BABY BY INSERTING AN IUD". Mirena is effective upon insertion (because it's not just the hormones, just having an foreign objection in there prevents pregnancy, hence why a copper only IUD is effective too) so if they pregnancy tested her prior to insertion, well, you're pretty much okay.

I like muddygirl's suggestion about getting some cheap tests just for peace of mind. Before Mirena, I was on the pill and I tested maybe once a month, sometimes less. I was terrified of ending up pregnant and then not being able to get an abortion for whatever reason. I've been on Mirena for a couple years now and there was ONE time where I felt funny (I was taking a large dose of medicine that makes me ovulate as a side effect, was taking it for something else) and got a very, very faint positive and the next day, I began to bleed.

This is a very effective device and I love mine. I no longer have any abdominal pains or weird bleeding like I did in the first few months.

Your girlfriend should be checking her strings every 1-2 months. They are up near her cervix as that's where they come out of. They will soften a bit over time but your fingers can feel them. If they are there, all is well.

Archived