Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Thread: The magic of a movie: inspiring or ...?

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    I am glad you are feeling a little more emotional freedom. You already know that Autistic people have their special interests and they can change or not. Donít feel ashamed to have a special interest. Right now my son has two. He has had them for many years. They take up a majority of his day and mind space.

Maybe you were brought up to be ashamed of your neurodiversity. ? Maybe you didnít have unconditional love or support ?

We totally accept our son being Autistic and developing at his own pace. He never never never seeks approval. He says it is totally uncomfortable and he hates it .

Just differences. Congrats you donít feel the need for approval anymore!

Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    There is no such thing as "approval addiction".
    You're incorrect. Approval addiction is very real. Here are just a handful of books on that very subject:

1.) The Disease to Please by Harriet B. Braiker, PhD.
    2.) Approval Addiction: Overcoming Your Need to Please Everyone by Joyce Meyer.
    3.) The Approval Fix: How to Break Free From People Pleasing by Joyce Meyer.
    4.) The Type E Woman: How to Overcome the Stress of Being Everything to Everybody by Harriet B. Braiker, PhD.

I know plenty of people who really, really want everyone to like them. I can tend to be one of them. I'm not "addicted" to approval but I do feel some anxiety when I find out someone doesn't like me. I have learned to cope, however, by reminding myself that I don't like everyone so why should everyone like me?

However, movie characters cannot "approve" of anyone or anything because they do not exist. They are figments of the writer's imagination.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    My husband has an approval problem . Less so as he gets older and gained more confidence.

If you need to put a label on it for the purposes of treatment or feeling better, the DSM 5 describes this tendency as a feature of histrionic or dependent personality disorders, not a diagnosed entity in itself. Either way therapy could help with it and building confidence from within.
    Originally Posted by TulipWriter
    Approval addiction is very real.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Give Advice
Ask For Advice