Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The magic of a movie: inspiring or ...?

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    How are you addressing it?

Originally Posted by Victoria66
    How are you addressing it?
    By talking about it here and getting feedback.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Addressing it would be discussing it with a therapist. Have you done that?

Addressing it would be discussing it with a therapist. Have you done that?
    Vaguely, with a former therapist. Didn't really help. I suppose I should print out this forum and show it to my current counselor next time we meet. (Obviously, I get a sense from you, Victoria66, that this is a severe problem that I have, even though I'm well aware they're just movies. Am I correct?)

Well, it is nothing that any of us can effectively help you with.

Originally Posted by TulipWriter
    Vaguely, with a former therapist. Didn't really help. I suppose I should print out this forum and show it to my current counselor next time we meet. (Obviously, I get a sense from you, Victoria66, that this is a severe problem that I have, even though I'm well aware they're just movies. Am I correct?)
    I think you need professional help. You claim to know the difference between reality and fantasy - and perhaps you do on an intellectual level - but you clearly have emotional problems to work out if you're living your life based on a movie. It's so unhealthy and abnormal. If you don't seek help now, you will only slide deeper into trouble.

Platinum Member browneyedgirl36's Avatar
    Originally Posted by Heather Dawn
    I think you need professional help. You claim to know the difference between reality and fantasy - and perhaps you do on an intellectual level - but you clearly have emotional problems to work out if you're living your life based on a movie. It's so unhealthy and abnormal. If you don't seek help now, you will only slide deeper into trouble.
    I think it's worth noting that the OP has revealed on other threads that she has recently been found to have Asperger's Syndrome. While I don't disagree that talking to a counselor about this would be helpful, in my experience working with a number of students with Asperger's, they tend to get very fixated on a particular thing -- often something in the creative/artistic realm -- and become somewhat obsessive about it. For example, one of my students with Asperger's is VERY into sci-fi; he spends countless hours weaving lengthy stories in the sci-fi genre, participates in live role-playing games, etc. -- it's pretty much his whole life and all he talks about, and he talks about these things as if they were real even though he *knows* intellectually that they aren't. Another, a woman of about the same age as the OP, is the same way with music. She's a musician herself, and she lives/breathes music; she has certain bands she is fixated on and talks about them constantly, quoting their lyrics, amassing a huge collection of memorabilia connected to them, talking about the bands and musicians almost as if they are friends of hers.

I'm not saying that the OP couldn't benefit from counseling, but I am suggesting that there might be a connection between this and Asperger's. I am not an expert, by any means, but I do have a lot of experience (I've been teaching for nearly two decades) working with adults who are on the autism spectrum, and my observations of them tend to be consistent with a lot of what the OP is saying here about her own thoughts. Of course, not all adults on the autism spectrum will have the same types of thoughts, but some do, for sure.

Anyway, to the OP: If this feels like it's interfering with your life in any way, it would definitely be a good idea to talk to your counselor about it. It's always helpful to bounce these things off of a professional and get his or her thoughts.

No, she doesn't have Asperger's but some other disability. I can't remember what but it wasn't autism.

No, she doesn't have Asperger's but some other disability. I can't remember what but it wasn't autism.
    Aspergers is no longer a diagnosis as of mid-2013. If it was, that would've been my diagnosis when I was tested. Instead, my diagnosis is Social Communications Disorder. (I did read that I can be considered "autistic-lite.")

Yes, I understand it is now covered in the autistic umbrella, AS, that is. But the psychologist who diagnosed my son and many others do not agree with it being no longer a diagnosis and he gave my son the diagnosis regardless . If your diagnosis was supposed to be Asperger's they would have said you have ASD.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice