Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

Favorite passages, quotes, poems

RainyCoast

"“His soul swooned softly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.”

― James Joyce, The Dead"

The story is set in the festive season and makes a great read at this time of year.

• 4 months later...

“Brains! Are you kidding? She hasn’t got any goddam brains! She’s an animal!”

The gray-haired man, his nostrils dilating, appeared to take a fairy deep breath. “We’re all animals,” he said. “Basically, we’re all animals.”

“Like hell we are. I’m no goddam animal. I may be a stupid, fouled-up twentieth-century son of a b***h, but I’m no animal. Don’t gimme that. I’m no animal.”

J.D.Salinger - Pretty Mouth and Green My Eyes 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For the day that's in it:

"“Sanity is not about confrontation. It's about filtering. Having a stable and happy life is about saying "no" to crazy people, not about inviting them in and then hoping that confrontations are going to make them sane.”
― Stefan Molyneux

"In a free society, one does not have to deal with those who are irrational. One is free to avoid them."

Ayn Rand

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

‘“I always like to learn, but I don’t always like to be taught.”

——-

“Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice.”

——-

“There but for the grace of God, goes God.”

———

“If you want me to speak for two minutes, it will take me three weeks of preparation. If you want me to speak for thirty minutes, it will take me a week to prepare. If you want me to speak for an hour, I am ready now.”

——-

“I have benefited greatly from criticism, and at no time have I suffered a lack thereof.”

———

“It is my belief, you cannot deal with the most serious things in the world unless you understand the most amusing.”

——-

“Writing a book is an adventure. To begin with, it is a toy and an amusement. Then it becomes a mistress, then it becomes a master, then it becomes a tyrant. The last phase is that just as you are about to be reconciled to your servitude, you kill the monster, and fling him to the public.”

——-

“My ideal of a good dinner] is to discuss good food, and, after this good food has been discussed, to discuss a good topic – with myself the chief conversationalist.”

———

“I have in my life concentrated more on self-expression than self-denial.”

——-

“Any idiot can see something wrong. But can you see what is right?”

——-

- Sir Winston Churchill 

“While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.”

-Mark Twain

———-

“Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.”

- Christopher Hitchings 

———-

“She was a woman with red hair and green eyes— the traits which Satan supposedly relished most in mortal females.”

-Robert Shea, The Eye in the Pyramid

———-

“You can sleep with a blonde, you can sleep with a brunette, but you’ll never get any sleep with a redhead!”

-Jamie Luner

———

“You’d find it easier to be bad than good if you had red hair. People who haven’t red hair don’t know what trouble is!”

-Anne of Green Gables

———

• 1 year later...