Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Traveling to Japan

BigKK

Hello!

I am going to Japan for a week next month, landing and joining my girlfriend.

I am trying to build up a loose itinerary but was hoping someone would have some advice that I won't find on most travel sites and books that I'm reading.

Initially I wanted to rent a car, but quickly learned that's a terrible idea, so I'll be traveling by train. I don't want to over-extend since it's only 7 days. I land in Tokyo, any must sees or recommended plan of attack?

Thanks!

Oooh, you lucky guy! I love Japan, but it's been years since I was there, so I'm not sure what's still around or not. One place I like to go to whenever I'm traveling (heading for Europe soon myself) is VirtualTourist that features reviews and information from fellow travelers.

Here's the link for Tokyo: link removed

Have fun on your trip. You will love it and yes, wise choice to use the trains.

I've never been but I am extremely jealous. So enjoy.

But all I can really say is be prepared for a serious culture shock for 2-3 months if you're staying that long.

I used to train for professional wrestling and I know a lot of guys that have trained and done shows in Japan. They always say it's super hard to adapt to life there.

Enjoy!!!

Hello!

I am going to Japan for a week next month, landing and joining my girlfriend.

I am trying to build up a loose itinerary but was hoping someone would have some advice that I won't find on most travel sites and books that I'm reading.

Initially I wanted to rent a car, but quickly learned that's a terrible idea, so I'll be traveling by train. I don't want to over-extend since it's only 7 days. I land in Tokyo, any must sees or recommended plan of attack?

Thanks!

Tokyo is not representative of Japan; just another big city like Hong Kong and Singapore. No soul! I wouldn't waste my time there!

Koyasan is amazing! One of my favorite places on earth! If you can, stay overnight in one of the monasteries, do it.

Kyoto is a fabulous city.

Lastly, I would recommend Takayama and Shirakawago

Going back in the spring to see Benesee

Don't forget to get train pass before leaving your country. Will save a lot of money!!!!!!!!!

• 5 weeks later...

Archived