Do your parents know you self-injure? relationships with family... triggers...

girl friend

Hey guys,

I was just curious about other people's experiences about family members and self-injury...

I think my parents were a big part of the problem for me.

They just didn't get it. They didn't get me. I was so alone.

Cutting helped. And then my mum used to scream at me and try to bully me out of the self-harm shouting that I "should stop" (gee why didn't I think of that?!) that i'd get "locked up", etc.

Anyways that didn't help needless to say I just got better at hiding it and better at lying...

I think hating my parents and feeling so alone and so isolated probably was at the root of me starting to cut when I was 11...

What are other people's experiences?

Much love

x xx

Yes, I self harmed and hid it for a while as well.

I knew I was 'angry' at the world re: my past and i had issue's that needed to be dealt with.

I went thru years of therapy off and on.

I will admit, I have 'thought' of it now & then but will NOT do it any more. That's something I now aim away from.

Instead I vent other ways.

I tune out with my music, do stuff online, etc.

I never blamed my parents really for my own actions. I was just angry with a lot/lost & confused.

Not surewhy it is that you're angry at them?

Remember, we all make our own choices and you're now an adult. Do you get that 'feeling of release' doing it still?

• 2 months later...

For me my whole family made things worse for me. When I first started self harming I thought I hid it pretty well. At that time I didn't realize my sister was self harming as well. My mom discovered her scars and got super upset with her and my sister got better. I was happy but I was still depressed and self harming. One day my mom saw my scars but she didn't do anything. She pretended like she saw nothing. It hurt. It made me feel like she didn't love me. As time went on I was still self harming and slowly my whole family discovered it. But none of them did anything to help me. They all ignored it. And I started doing it even more then ever before. They have never supported me or helped me. My family definitely made things worse for me.

Archived