My dog likes to jump on dog-haters...

adviseseeker

I took my dog out for a walk this morning on the usual path I take near my boyfriends house. It's a long paved walkway that is fenced on both sides and not usually busy, especially not in the morning. She's a beagle cross and she likes sniffing around so I sometimes take her off leash in this area if there's no one around. Normally put her back on the leash if I see someone else with a dog.

Well as I am walking along I decide to call up my mom to talk since it's the perfect time for that. She's going around sniffing stuff while I'm talking, but then of course after a few mins she sees some people walking behind us, it's this couple and it looks like they are just out for a brisk walk. She started running towards them so I called her back and she listened. So we kept walking, but these people were walking really fast and she's always intrigued by people running or going fast and she wants to go play with them.

So she does it again, goes and runs up to them. I tried to call her back again but she wasn't listening this time. She is a super friendly dog and is wagging her tail, and she jumps on the guy who seems very annoyed by that (she's a 30 pound dog, not super big or scary looking). I called her and she started coming back to me, but then she turned around again and wanted to say hi to him...and again jumped up. Meanwhile I'm running over calling her and over and over again but she was just too excited, and I have the phone to my face trying to deal with my leash in one hand phone in the other.

Anyway, I think it's because people who don't like dogs don't acknowledge them, and she wanted him to pat her or say hi but he didn't so she kept trying. He proceeded to be a huge about the situation and swore at me. I didn't even have a chance to say sorry. I dunno, I almost don't feel bad because if the first thing out of your mouth is an comment then I don't feel bad that my dog got your shorts a little dirty with her paws. Screw you. She was just being friendly and he was such a about it. Most of the people I come accross on walks like dogs and I've never experienced this before, she doesn't usually keep trying to jump on someone either. That's strange for her and that's why I didn't put her back on the leash right away - normally she says hi to someone once and that's it. She must sense something in the dog-haters.

Ughh...I just hate people that are nasty like that. I was already running over trying to get her and he still made an comment. I could just tell what kind of people they were...just snooty s. Pardon my language...

The thing is people don't have to pat your dog and be friendly. Not everybody loves animals. Personally ,I like all animals but dogs do raise some fear in me because I was attacked by a dog as a small kid and needed stitches. You don't know that that is what could have happened to these people. Or maybe they just don't want to be covered in muddy paw prints. Whatever the reason they don't have to be friendly to your dog and don't have to pet her. But they don't need to be rude, no. Maybe next time just keep her on the leash so you are sure you have control of her.

You have no control of your dog and therefore she shouldn't be off leash.

I had a dog for 15 years and he was voice trained to stop in his tracks if asked. Your dog listens when she feels like it. There is no reason for her jumping on strangers. Ever.

It is considered bad dog manners for dogs to jump on others. It would be like having a total stranger come over and hug you...

I was told that when dogs jump up on people it is a power thing not a greeting. The are trying to dominate, and it can get scary, I have a dog myself and have been around large animals like horses for most of my life and I don't feel comfortable when a dog jumps up on me, you never know what might happen. It's probably a good idea to take your dog to some training sessions to learn voice commands before you let her off-leash again.

As other posters have said, just because someone doesn't stop to pat your dog or acknowledge it, that doesn't mean they don't like dogs. Some people are afraid of dogs. Some people are just in the middle of trying to exercise (as it sounds like these people were) and they don't feel like stopping to pet every animal that comes by. Also, many people don't like dogs jumping on them even if they DO like dogs -- I am one of those people. Like Victoria, I had a couple of bad encounters with large dogs when I was little -- was knocked to the ground by a large German Shepherd once -- and them jumping on me triggers fear in me. I like dogs a lot, but I don't like them jumping on me.

Here's the thing -- and I don't mean to be hard on you here -- you were definitely in the wrong. One, for having your dog off-leash in a place where you shouldn't have and two for being distracted talking on the phone and not really monitoring your dog. I run in a local park near my house, and EVERY day there's someone with a dog -- sometimes with a dog AND a child or two -- talking on the phone, texting, etc. and not really paying full attention to what's going on around them. I've had dogs jump on me, lunge at me, chase me, etc. because their owners weren't giving their full attention to their surroundings. If a dog had bitten me or made me fall down, you can bet I'd be irate. It's your responsibility as a dog owner to control your dog. If your dog were to bite someone, or knock them down (and yes, a 30-pound dog is capable of this) or trip them and make them fall, you would be liable.

Again, I don't think the guy should have cursed at you -- that's not classy, nor does it solve anything -- but I can see why he was frustrated, especially since your dog came at him TWICE, and he probably saw you on the phone, saw that the dog was off-leash, and felt like you weren't taking responsibility. In the future, it's best to keep your dog on a leash and be alert to your surroundings -- both for the dog's safety and the safety of others.

I'm terrified of dogs and having a 30-pound dog jump on me would be traumatic. I might not swear, but I would certainly get upset, if I hadn't already run for the hills. Nobody has to interact with your dog if they don't want to, and they shouldn't be obligated to. Even if they're not afraid they might be wearing their clothes for work and DON'T want paw prints and the like all over them. That's their right. On a public walkway you shouldn't have your dog off the leash, IMO. Save that for a dog park or your own yard if you have one. In this situation it's like you're expecting your dog's supposed "rights" to trump the rights of other people to have a nice walk without being jumped on by a dog. Sure, they should be fine with SEEING a (leashed) dog, but they should not have to put up with a jump or the risk of a jump that comes with it being off the leash.

but these people were walking really fast and she's always intrigued by people running or going fast and she wants to go play with them

That's something you need to work on with your dog. She's attracted to fast moving people more than she is trained to respond to your commands. It's a challenge for both of you, and I know it isn't easy it if doesn't happen often. Get friends or family to set up conditions like this and practice, practice, practice with willing participants.

I love dogs, have had them almost all my life, and dog sit for others' dogs, but I never like dogs jumping on me, not even my own dogs, and do not allow it. There is no reason for it to be ok, and I think it's risky to let a dog think it's fine. There are other ways to greet and play that are better.

Anyway, I think it's because people who don't like dogs don't acknowledge them, and she wanted him to pat her or say hi but he didn't so she kept trying.
That's no excuse for your dog to act in a disrespectful, or unmindful of you manner. I love dogs but I'd not want a stranger dog jumping on me in less the attention was invited. I'd get a few dog obedience classes going so that you learn how to control Fido and Fido knows when his attentions isn't wanted.

Even a good guide book on how to control your pet would benefit you just as much as it would your dog. You sounded awfully stressed during that encounter and I'm sure the dog sensed that as well.

Good luck.

I would keep your dog on a leash except in a dog leash fenced-off free area. I know of a woman who is being sued for something her dog didn't even do. A woman said my friend's pit bull caused her to fall and break her arm. Surveillance cameras eventually showed the dog had nothing to do with it, which cost my friend $20,000 in legal fees. When your dog is loose you can get yourself into all kinds of trouble. Even if the dog is not at fault. People have the right to walk in peace where they please.

The "they don't like dogs" excuse is you in denial. Take responsibility for your animal. Don't blame whether the pedestrians are dog lovers or not, it has nothing to do with the issue.

PS, I love dogs.

I was told that when dogs jump up on people it is a power thing not a greeting. The are trying to dominate, and it can get scary, [...]

This is true, and I know two children who've had their faces torn open by a Beagle.

By law, you need to have control of your dog at all times. If your dog scares the wrong person, you may find yourself in court at great expense. Better to invest that money up front instead in hiring a trainer to teach you how to handle your dog.

This is true, and I know two children who've had their faces torn open by a Beagle.

By law, you need to have control of your dog at all times. If your dog scares the wrong person, you may find yourself in court at great expense. Better to invest that money up front instead in hiring a trainer to teach you how to handle your dog.

Yes, even small dogs can cause great damage, My mom too was attacked by a small dog when she was two and he tore half her face off and she needed 4 surgeries as a toddler to repair her face and her sinuses.

I want to just clarify - this post was a vent about how big of an a-hole the guy was, I never said that he HAD to be friendly to my dog; but that is why I think she kept trying to play with him - I'm not blaming the guy for not petting my dog. I was obviously trying to get her to stop, and I don't like her jumping on people but she has been particularly hard to train in that area because my friends and family sometimes encourage the behaviour. She is voice and gesture trained to do numerous commands, it's not like I have some uncontrollable dog that I allow to run rampant everywhere...

Normally she ignores strangers because she's busy sniffing things and normally there aren't any people around there which is why I sometimes take her off leash. This was one odd exception, and I just happened to be on the phone at the same time. Sh-t happens people, it's not like I planned it.

By what he said I don't even feel sorry for him because he obviously wasn't afraid of my dog, he was just an a-hole when I was clearly making an effort. You can tell what kind of person they are by their body language.

If it is an off-leash area, fine, if not please leash your dog. I was bitten by a dog who knew me and who I knew (the dog was off-leash in his own home -no issue there) and so I am cautious around dogs. I never ever pet a dog I do not know and it would scare the crap out of me if a dog I did not know jumped on me or my child or even tried to especially if it was off-leash.

I have had numerous otherwise positive experiences in my local park ruined because of people who insist on letting their dogs go off leash. I cannot let my child play in a playground if a dog is running around off-leash -I don't know the dog or how the dog will react to me or my child and often when I can ask the owner to leash the dog I get a very rude response -no fun in front of a young child. Not everyone is like that but that is the response the majority of the time even if I ask nicely.

My husband has had his work clothes soiled by a dog running in the hallway off-leash who jumped on him and I was traumatized by an off-leash dog in our building's garage running towards my child and me (I pulled my child around the back of a parked car and yelled to the owners to leash the dog -they finally did).

You did plan it by letting your dog run off-leash -and by being on the phone at the same time. You took the risk. He very well may have been fearful. I would have been very scared especially if I had my child with me. Please reconsider about how your choices affect other people in your community and of course you're risking your own dog's safety too.

I don't feel bad that my dog got your shorts a little dirty with her paws. Screw you. .

Come on, you can't have your dog soiling other people's clothing. That is just not acceptable. He swore and you still should have apologized.

The dog is unpredictable (for now at least) so if you need to talk on the phone, get some ear phones and hold the leash. Also, other people have no idea that your dog is friendly. Especially since they witnessed you calling her a number of times and she ignored you. You got off easy this time.

My dog is not aggressive to anyone, and is very gentle with children. She is a beagle mix and not a pure beagle. My sister is a vet and I have never heard from her that jumping is a power thing...it is most definitely a greeting with my dog.

My dog is not aggressive to anyone, and is very gentle with children. She is a beagle mix and not a pure beagle. My sister is a vet and I have never heard from her that jumping is a power thing...it is most definitely a greeting with my dog.

Lady, nobody else knows your dog. You keep treating this as though you're some kind of exception. Your dog was off leash and jumped on someone who didn't like it. They were hostile, and that's too bad. Take the experience as a lesson, pay attention, and get trained in how to control your dog.

Perhaps he was a jerk, but he was provoked by the situation. After the first time your dog ran after them you could have hung up the phone and leashed your dog until everyone was out of range. Your dog was particularly excited and possibly sensed you were somewhat distracted by the phone call (i.e. not 100% on her). I know it's a juggle giving dogs time off-leash, which they need, and keeping them on leash, but it is best to err on the side of caution. Like catfeeder said, nobody else knows your dog. And even if you accept your dog jumping on people as greeting, no one else should have to if they don't want to. If your friends and family sometimes encourage the jumping it is your job to remove the dog from them until they learn you are serious about not allowing it.

I think you got off lucky with just verbal.

When dogs jump on me, it freaks me out. I push. Hard. And I even like dogs...they just really scare me when they're jumping on me. It's an automatic reaction- fight or flight.

and...It's fear. That guy reacted in yelling out of fear. Most people are scared when getting accosted by something they don't know

You are totally in the wrong if your dog is jumping on people, and in fact they could call animal control and have your dog taken away from you. The law in most areas says that your dog must be 'under control' (and in some areas on a leash) which means it is not making any physical contact with other people. Doesn't matter whether she was being friendly or not, it is against the law and such behavior can terrify people and/or wreck their clothing or scratch or injure their legs.

I have dogs and adore dogs but whenever I've been in such a situation, I immediately stop my dog from approaching someone and apologize to the person unless the person shows an inclination to want to have contact with my dog, which this guy clearly didn't.

Sure, the guy could have been nicer to you BUT it is not legal for you to walk up to some stranger and jump on him either! So your expectations here are out of line. You can buy one of those long retractable leads to walk your dog with if she likes to sniff, and take her to a class and teach her manners and how to not jump on people.

And re: the advice, you are not going to get sympathy for a vent when you are totally in the wrong and endangering your dog with your behavior. The next person she does this too could kick her in the head or ribs and break her ribs to get her off them, or report you to animal control and have her taken away from you and unfortunately for your dog, they would legally have the right to do that.

Yup, didn't come here for a lecture just to vent about a guy being a douche to me over something that was clearly an accident. I now remember why I stopped coming to this forum...

Oops, you got advice, not sympathy. Venting is good, but learning along the way is even better. You don't see how you brought it all on and can avoid it. You are not nor were not acting in a way that evokes sympathy from strangers. Sorry. I have a feeling you don't care.

This reminds me of a parent in denial of a child's bad behavior. It's always somebody else's fault.

It reminds me of too many of the dog owners I have encountered who believe the leash laws do not apply to them and how dare I ask that the dog be leashed so we can be safe. I don't think the analogy applies because the dog did nothing wrong - he was just acting like a dog. It is the dog owner who caused the man walking by to be jumped on/have his clothing soiled by her unleashed dog. It's just a simple blame the victim instead of yourself.

Archived