Gaining to much weight :/

I weighed myself today at lunch. I am almost 150lbs, 148.7lbs to be exact!

The last time I weighted 150lbs was the 12 months after i had my son in 2009-2010. I am 5'3"!! Do you know what I look like?!?... a freak umpa-lumpa!!!

I don't know wth am i doing to cause this weight gain! We don't eat out (no fast food anyways), I don't drinking sugary drinks (water most of the day, with 1 coffee in the morning), if I snack, its a fruit! My lunches are salads. We basically eat vegen due my son's unknown allergies.

like I dont get it!! a year and half ago I was 126lbs... now im over 20lbs heavier!?

And no, I am not pregnant.

148 lbs doesn't sound that bad to me to be honest! But if you are more comfortable being at your normal 126 lbs you need to look at what you are eating to have gained the weight, are you sure you aren't snacking more than usual? Sometimes i do it without realised and after counting up my days calories it's more than i thought i'd eaten. Also are you quite active?

I don't think im over snacking but I quit smoking 6 months ago and I turned to grapes for my "craving crutch" but, I dont eat as many of then as I used too.

I walk to work everyday (unless its bad weather), its about a 20 min walk all incline and then walk home also with a 2 hr walk with my dog every night as well, plus running after a 5 year old.

Im stumped and I feel like an umpa lumpa because I have a belly and MASSIVE thighs. I feel like I did when I held onto the baby weight, I dont like it.

Theres a lot of sugar in apples too, carrot or cucumber sticks with a low fat dip are a good snack.

It sounds like you do a lot walking, weight can creep on unfortunately perhaps start writing down what you are eating to see exactly what you do consume in a day. Do you finish off the little ones left overs?

Eating vegan doesn't mean eating healthy, necessarily. It depends on what's in your diet. If you're eating lots of complex carbs, starches, etc., especially processed, that will put on weight easily. Also, if you eat more at night, when metabolism slows down, and/or if you're over 30, your metabolism is changing.

I would suggest eating more protein, whatever your sons needs to eat. Just because he can't eat eggs doesn't mean you can't eat them. They're low cal and high in nutrition. Protein in the morning and a larger meal at lunch would serve you better than a skimpy salad. The Europeans have it right: during the day, when you need the most fuel, that's when most calories should be consumed. But in America, people skip lunch or eat a salad, which is bird food. Then later at night they eat more, when the body's slowing down.

If you remove all the processed carbs from your diet (like bread, pasta, etc), and replace them with whole grains and less starchy vegetables (like squash, yam, etc.) and time your meals, but don't see any weight coming off, I would see a doctor (even though they miss a lot of low thyroid function, but they might find a more obvious case with you.)

Congrats on quitting smoking. Veggies aren't much of a craving consolation, so choose something that is more satisfying but nutritious, like a few wedges of avocado, some guacamole on veggies. Healthy fats and foods with them are much more satiating and the fat gives you more longstanding energy to burn, so your hunger is kept in check. Contrary to popular belief, in moderation, healthy fats found in whole, unprocessed foods such as in nuts, seeds, avocados, coconut/coconut oil actually help you loose weight and burn fat (especially coconut oil), ironically. You can always google creative ways of incorporating them into snacks.

The last time I weighted 150lbs was the 12 months after i had my son in 2009-2010. I am 5'3"!! Do you know what I look like?!?... a freak umpa-lumpa!!!

I don't know wth am i doing to cause this weight gain! We don't eat out (no fast food anyways), I don't drinking sugary drinks (water most of the day, with 1 coffee in the morning), if I snack, its a fruit! My lunches are salads. We basically eat vegen due my son's unknown allergies.

like I dont get it!! a year and half ago I was 126lbs... now im over 20lbs heavier!?

Try the 21-day Fix. You can order it on-line. My friend lost over 100 pounds on that plan...and she was rarely, if ever, hungry.

It does require your working out 30 minutes a day though. But you can eat whatever you want...in the proper balance and it shows you how to do that.

Gives you the right size bowls to put your food in and everything.

I've seen the infomercials with Montel Williams... seems like a very sensible plan to me.

thanks everyone for the advice.

I started a food journal this weekend to see what I intake everyday, I noticed there is alot of sodium in a few of the foods we consume so I have tooken it upon myself to remove those from my cupboards (I donated a whole box of foods to the inn of the good shepard this morning). I also noticed that at night when we are watching a movie or having down time I consume alot of snack, and not always the greats thanks to my fiance and his chip addiction.

I told him that we are going to be getting rid of "bad carbs" and going to try to stay more towards healthy/organic as much as we can with a cheat day here and there so he doesnt feel deprived. He agreed to do this with me, so Im hoping to see some changes starting. I'll be happier when I am in the 130s, I think.

• 2 weeks later...
Healthy fats and foods with them are much more satiating and the fat gives you more longstanding energy to burn, so your hunger is kept in check. Contrary to popular belief, in moderation, healthy fats found in whole, unprocessed foods such as in nuts, seeds, avocados, coconut/coconut oil actually help you loose weight and burn fat (especially coconut oil), ironically. You can always google creative ways of incorporating them into snacks.

I eat some avocado and some almond butter every day. TOV - any links to what you wrote above? I know they are healthy fats (and good digestively) but didn't realize they can help you lose weight.

Since you mentioned excess sodium it might be water weight, as sodium retains water. Cut back on it a add some potassium to your diet, such as natural coconut water or cranberry light juice. Grapes are not bad actually. Have about 20 of them, which is 100 calories & under 10 carbs. Avoid apples, bananas. I don't know if you are menstruating but that could be it too.

Just count your calories for 7 days (including carbs) & post it here.

MisUnderstood, I feel your pain. I was angry at myself years ago when I could not get my weight under control. I did so much exercise! Honestly, I just stopped thinking about it, and actually exercised much less, and it really helped. Yes, sodium is going to bloat you. I can't tell you what to do, but I found eating high quality protein, a good breakfast and lunch really helped.

I also eat a little fat, like regular fat milk and cottage cheese. I really believe in eating a big breakfast and lunch, like the Europeans and a moderate dinner is the way to go. Remember when bagels were popular huge?? I think cutting back on bread like most people have done is a great idea as well. No nutrition in bread, really. And yes I agree with the other posters, fruit is a carb and should be eaten in moderation, and in its solid form with fibre, not juiced. Carrots? Well you got to have a pretty diet to be pointing the finger at carrots Anyway, good luck. A diary is a good idea.

Weight loss is achieved by about: 80% diet; 20% exercise.

How do you define a 'big' breakfast? Because eating too much in one sitting might not be the best solution. I agree, white bread is useless. Sure you get your fibre but you can get that from other sources for far fewer calories with much less carbs.

Also, sometimes juicing is actually better (juice cleanse/detox) as you then break down the cell walls of whatever you are putting in, releasing more nutrients that would not have been released during mastication. I have never done it though, apart from frozen berries.

Sorry..had a busy day or would have answers sooner

For breakfast on a day when I have an important morning. I will have bacon and eggs and maybe a half slice of rye toast. Or if I'm in a big hurry, I will have about a cup of cottage cheese with a banana...maybe sprinkled with flax seed. If I just eat carbs i.e. cereal, with milk say, in an hour I will be even more hungry than I was before the cereal. If I have an exam, I will eat dinner leftovers.

If I don't eat enough at say 7 or 8:00am, I get super hungry by 11:00 am. At this time ( can happen even when I eat the cottage cheese with fruit) I will have my lunch which will be some chicken drumsticks and a salad, or a tuna sandwich (open face). By this time, I cannot just snack. I need a satisfying meal. If I don't nip my hunger in the bud by lunchtime, I will eat a too large dinner and will snack a night. Or my blood sugar level will drop and I will feel off all day. I do not understand people who can skip breakfast and not eat lunch until 2:00pm

I always go by this dogma: The more carbs you eat, the sooner you will get hunger. I promise you if you eat some nice organic chicken, with veggies and go light on the carbs, maybe a piece of fruit, you will be satisfied and less hungry at night. I try to stay away from rice and pasta.

Juicing is fantastic. My sister used to juice for us every morning...all organic greens like kale, collards, beets and my stomach was as flat as a board. Anyway, it worked for me

Good luck!

I eat some avocado and some almond butter every day. TOV - any links to what you wrote above? I know they are healthy fats (and good digestively) but didn't realize they can help you lose weight.

Batya, sorry it took a while to get back to this post! I had a little trouble finding my favorite article on this, which is the first one I've listed below.

link removed

Really good article, though it puts coconut oil in the same category as other saturated fats; coconut oil has some special fat-burning properties of its own (below)

link removed

link removed

Good article if you want a more in-depth bio-chem discussion of it; it's written for athletes/bodybuilders, but the same principles apply; (I wouldn't go on a binge of the kinds of fat the editor did afterwards, though!)

link removed

Mostly discusses health of different kinds of fats, in addition to the weight issue; although she advises against polyunsaturated fats, I think she means processed (such as bottled vegetable oil), because naturally-occurring in whole foods is healthy (hasn't been heated, hydrogenated, etc.)

And one of countless articles on the virtues of coconut oil:

link removed

I have never been overweight, but I have found that eating some fat and protein for breakfast really increases my energy during the day, reduces my appetite, and keeps things much more stable with my blood sugar. I have less cravings, and seem to keep my weight at its lowest (healthy low though). I'm never going back to eating cereal/oatmeal, etc. in the morning again.

My daily walking buddy is my MP3 player and the podcasts I download (or once in awhile music -used to just do music but now it's my opportunity to catch up on news/what's going on. I would never do a fitness routine that depended on someone else. Once you start doing daily cardio (I have a 5-year old -I don't need more than 30 minutes cardio a day!) you'll find yourself hooked on it in a good way -great for physical and mental health. All you need are sneakers and comfortable clothes and an umbrella if it's raining. Rarely is the weather so bad that you can't do the 30 minutes outside. We also have a treadmill available if I need it and I have the Leslie Sansome walk at home DVD when I'm desperate (i.e. husband is away, weather is bad). I am 5"2 -petite doesn't make it easy to stay fit if you love to eat like me!

Archived