Open Club  ·  96 members  ·  Free

Journals

" In a box not a bottle" Asperger's revealed

Seraphim

No, I have actually seen an angel and a demon. I saw an angel when I was five . I was having a very hard time at the time because my parents were breaking up . And I absolutely know for sure I saw it . And he told me that I would always be all right and that I always had been all right . The demon I saw a few years ago and it had masked itself as a child with black eyes and pointed teeth. It came to me three nights in a row . When my son was an infant I would see a shadow man in a top hat come out of his room. I have seen ghost animals . I see things in my peripheral vision . I can tell people what colour their auras are. I can feel energies even from people all the way across the world . My son even witnessed me see a ghost . Right here in the house that I live in now I saw soldier walk across my bedroom . I shrieked a bit and said oh there you are . And my son came into my room and said Mom who are you talking to . I said didn't you see the man walk out the wall .

I've got this song stuck in my head now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wcixnwEiik

When I was in my late teens, before my ASD diagnosis, I explained my alienation from others as being an indigo child. If you look it up on Wikipedia now, it's interestingly connected to ADHD and ASD (which I have both). The idea is an indigo aura and certain characteristics associated with it

Have you heard of synaesthesia? It's a crossing of the senses - a number of people with synaesthesia report seeing people, sounds or numbers associated with colours. But there wouldn't always be a correlation between what two people with synaesthesia see.

So if you could see someone's energy as one colour, and a synaesthetic person sees it as another colour, how can you tell if it's something connected to your experience of the world or if it's a part of that person's aura?

I wouldn't want to know what colour my aura is. I'd be disappointed if it wasn't somewhere between mint green and turquoise, because I'm obsessed with that colour :D

Every 6 mths or so I do some casual babysitting if something comes up. There's a lady I worked with for about 6 weeks in 2016, she has three kids, one of whom was diagnosed with ASD (7 yr old boy) a few months before I came into the picture. She was reluctant to tell me his diagnosis because she refused to accept it. He had a lot of problems - sensory, motor, sleep, emotional, fixated interests and odd facial expressions/body language, he seemed to misbehave and ignore instructions/rules all the time and needed a lot of extra attention in order to feel secure and function normally. Occasional mild meltdowns and liked to have things his own way, rigid/literal thinking etc

She found him really difficult and would tell me he was just "a little sh**". I felt pretty bad on his behalf, because I could see he was a very sweet child - even if he didn't have a good understanding of or respect for 'arbitrary rules' (such as those set by his mum!). I spoke to her about his diagnosis a few times and she kept saying "it's not autism" - so at that point I finally disclosed. I didn't go into a whole lot of detail about my own diagnosis, but just wanted to normalise the issue - she obviously liked and respected me enough. And her son behaved for me, I would sit with him and let him talk to me about Pokemon for an hour when he wasn't able to sleep. I once heard his mum reprimanding him quietly and he yelled back at her, "I'm not like you!". That broke my heart a little - I don't think he knew his own diagnosis. He just knew he was different

Anyway, she has asked me a few times in recent months to come back and work for them. Very small/odd jobs, mostly haven't come to fruition but I am going tomorrow and maybe later this month, for an hour once a week

I don't know why but I have a feeling the topic of her son and ASD will come up. It's been a couple years since his diagnosis, if it is autism it will have become more apparent over time and she may have accepted it by now

I feel like there aren't enough resources for parents with children who are Level 1. I am wondering if you've found any particular blogs/websites/books/YouTube channels beneficial with regards to parenting a boy on the spectrum (maybe ones that would have been helpful to you when your son was younger) - most of my own personal research has focused on females/adults and I'm worried I wouldn't know how to relate to her (though I relate to him exceptionally well)

Every 6 mths or so I do some casual babysitting if something comes up. There's a lady I worked with for about 6 weeks in 2016, she has three kids, one of whom was diagnosed with ASD (7 yr old boy) a few months before I came into the picture. She was reluctant to tell me his diagnosis because she refused to accept it. He had a lot of problems - sensory, motor, sleep, emotional, fixated interests and odd facial expressions/body language, he seemed to misbehave and ignore instructions/rules all the time and needed a lot of extra attention in order to feel secure and function normally. Occasional mild meltdowns and liked to have things his own way, rigid/literal thinking etc

She found him really difficult and would tell me he was just "a little sh**". I felt pretty bad on his behalf, because I could see he was a very sweet child - even if he didn't have a good understanding of or respect for 'arbitrary rules' (such as those set by his mum!). I spoke to her about his diagnosis a few times and she kept saying "it's not autism" - so at that point I finally disclosed. I didn't go into a whole lot of detail about my own diagnosis, but just wanted to normalise the issue - she obviously liked and respected me enough. And her son behaved for me, I would sit with him and let him talk to me about Pokemon for an hour when he wasn't able to sleep. I once heard his mum reprimanding him quietly and he yelled back at her, "I'm not like you!". That broke my heart a little - I don't think he knew his own diagnosis. He just knew he was different

Anyway, she has asked me a few times in recent months to come back and work for them. Very small/odd jobs, mostly haven't come to fruition but I am going tomorrow and maybe later this month, for an hour once a week

I don't know why but I have a feeling the topic of her son and ASD will come up. It's been a couple years since his diagnosis, if it is autism it will have become more apparent over time and she may have accepted it by now

I feel like there aren't enough resources for parents with children who are Level 1. I am wondering if you've found any particular blogs/websites/books/YouTube channels beneficial with regards to parenting a boy on the spectrum (maybe ones that would have been helpful to you when your son was younger) - most of my own personal research has focused on females/adults and I'm worried I wouldn't know how to relate to her (though I relate to him exceptionally well)

Basically I have winged it on my own. I have had pretty much zero help for my son or myself. I just went by instinct and my love for him. I just have always accepted him.

I know it is not much help. Just lots of acceptance and love because I have adored him since before he was born.

Have you heard of synaesthesia? It's a crossing of the senses - a number of people with synaesthesia report seeing people, sounds or numbers associated with colours. But there wouldn't always be a correlation between what two people with synaesthesia see.

I have that. It's very useful. I think it's why I can hear one wrong note in an entire orchestra. It's as striking to me as a red slash in a sea of green. It also works in reverse--color coding things helps me absorb information.

Basically I have winged it on my own. I have had pretty much zero help for my son or myself. I just went by instinct and my love for him. I just have always accepted him.

I know it is not much help. Just lots of acceptance and love because I have adored him since before he was born.

It is helpful, because I won't focus on trying to give her information, if what she needs is perspective

I have that. It's very useful. I think it's why I can hear one wrong note in an entire orchestra. It's as striking to me as a red slash in a sea of green. It also works in reverse--color coding things helps me absorb information.

That is super cool. I'm not sure if the singer Lorde is popular in North America but she apparently has synaesthesia

It is helpful, because I won't focus on trying to give her information, if what she needs is perspective

Depending upon the country of course would depend on the services . And depending upon the level of function or dysfunction as the case maybe . For instance in Ontario Canada there’s almost no services for my son due to his level of function . It goes by percentage . 2nd percentile and below they consider absolutely necessary to have services . My son is in the 13th percentile for function. So he is not even considered for supports or therapy etc. Wrong but it is the way it is.

Now Australia maybe be different.

I took ABA for parents . And the instructor said I had been basically doing ABA the whole time instinctually anyway and there was probably not too much I was going to get out of this course .

But for many many autistic people love and support and acceptance is absolutely critical .

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Autism is Proof you can have language but not always understand:

My son in the vet office: I need cat food

Staff: do you have a membership?

Son: what? I just need cat food

Staff: do your pets come here?

Son: I just need cat food

Staff: Would you like a membership?

Son: Look, I just NEED cat food can I pay for it?

Staff: can I get information first

Son: CAT FOOD

child comes to the car with bag of cat food : that woman was Charlie Brown’s teacher! Wha wha wha wha ( using echolalia to explain)

Me: What?

Son: I had no clue what the heck she was talking about I just wanted to cat food just give it to me. The rest is extraneous things I don’t need to know. I don’t even know what the heck she was babbling about.

Son: I had no clue what the heck she was talking about I just wanted to cat food just give it to me. The rest is extraneous things I don’t need to know. I don’t even know what the heck she was babbling about.

Lol. This made me laugh. This is pretty much my response to everything these days. JUST GIVE ME THE STUFF.

• 4 weeks later...

There is a woman who comes to our centre several times a week and she has a masters in OT and child development . And of course she’s helping people with their children and I describe my son and his certain body movements and she was explaining to me that it’s probably his brain trying to work out his feeling of space in the world . How he understands how to orient his body. And how he understands where his body is.

She also explained to me the way that I crawled as an infant is responsible for all my problems of ergonomics now . She said as an infant all it would’ve taken would’ve been two weeks to correct that and I would’ve had no problem with body ergonomics today but of course they didn’t know that when I was a child .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally convinced my son to give the community living grant a try! I saw his former SERT at the pie Social and she told me about the community living grant how she couldn’t get anybody to apply . Community Living has a grant for summer work for those who have barriers to employment from ages 18 to 29. So he is going to give this a try!

Tomorrow morning I’m going with him to pick up the form!

Good luck!!!!!

Thanks Annie! I talked to the lady yesterday and she said they are having a hard time finding employers who want to hire the disabled because the program is very new to our area . She said she would try to get my son in this year but it’s not a guarantee but most likely next year or the year after when the program starts to blossom .

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If I have to see more about “light it up blue “ crap. I don’t want to hear anymore about the ableist hate filled Autism Speaks. Our boys are not “lost to autism “,they are not broken ,they are not a disease and they don’t need to be cured and seem to have forgotten girls are autistic too. No puzzle pieces and no blue .

• 5 months later...