Open Club  ·  96 members  ·  Free

Journals

" In a box not a bottle" Asperger's revealed

Seraphim

That's BS. My siblings have life insurance as do I.

Sent from Tapatalk

Yeah I have to check it out. I talked to somebody who is friends with a life insurance agent who said that his grandson is not able to get life insurance because he has autism. And I thought what the heck? Because autism isn't going to kill them know what I mean?

link removed

Here's a study that states only about 30% of children with Asperger's complete high school. Wow. That is actually pretty sad. If they could be helped by knowing the way in which they learn I'm sure many more could finish. People have told me I am extremely lucky that my son is finishing high school. That he has the skills ,the support and the help. Another validation that I have been a great mom and advocate for my son

After this meeting I am just so overwhelmed. O.V.E.R.W.H.E.L.M.E.D. I have to be at step 100 before he is 18 and I am at step 0 because of very late diagnosis. We have to do private ABA or IBI due to his age which is hugely expensive. It takes 6 months for ACSD funding to even start to roll in. I have to do intake for the DSO. He has to go to a life skills class and work place skills class which is $2000 for 6 months.

She said I kid you not this going to be very difficult and he will fight you tooth and nail and he'll have meltdown after meltdown but you have to.

I don't know if I have enough left for this. I just want to crawl into a hole.

Please hang in there, Vic. I know you can do this. Can you get the ABA stuff funded 100% after 6 months? It's so, so important. Yes, he will meltdown and my sister melted down for years but eventually she did get better and went and the payoff was so, so worth it. She is lightyears ahead of where they would she would be in her life and she has exceeded expectations. Now she is in a work program and I am so proud of her. It is never too late.

Oh god I wish I could believe you, that I can do this . My own cognitive function right now is so bad due to stress I would forget my own name if I did not have it on my driver's license. I swear to God. I have Post-it notes all over everything and I walk around everywhere with a piece of paper and a pen. I feel like I need someone to hold my hand and lead me where I'm going.

I'm not even sure at this point how much of things are funded.

I guess all I can do is cry today regroup tomorrow write down my plan of action and get started. There's no time for falling apart at this point. He needs me more than ever.

I KNOW you can do this, my mom had 2 autistic kids and it was so hard but we all pulled through even though she had days where she would cry and didn't think she could go on. you sound so stressed, remember it doesn't all have to be done TODAY. Just focus on one or two things today and get those done or looked into and you're good. I think securing funding is the most important part, getting info on that, when it starts, what programs will it cover, etc. Just focus on requesting information today and don't fill it out today, wait til later, and go from there. Baby steps.

ABA is one of the BEST treatment options, at any age, for autism, even if you start it later it can still make a HUGE difference. Your son needs this and you know it and I know you can do this and I know that you will do this because I know you want whats best for your son, you want him to reach his own fullest potential.

I'm so sorry you're hurting.

I guess in the back of my head I know I can handle it. I have to I don't have a choice. He's my baby and I have to give him the best I can possibly give him. If I have to sell every last thing I own. Grovel to whoever I need to. I guess that's what I have to do.

There just seems to be so little time to process everything.

And on top of everything an acquaintance that I know tried to commit suicide yesterday.

Wow!!! Sorry to hear about your acquaintance.

i really admire you for what you have done for your son and how strongly you advocate for him. It is because of you that he, unlike many others, has completed HS and is thriving well. I know you will face these problems head on with the resoluteness that is in your nature and get him the help he needs and ruthlessly advocate for him.

I wish I had a mom like you. She refused to see that I have a form of achondroplasia (which accounts for my smallness and irregularity in size) and never got me tested for it. Instead she used to berate me for being so small and odd looking and causing her embarrassment. It wasn't till I was an adult and I was seeing a neurologist for some spinal issues, that he mentioned the the achondroplasia could be a cause of it. After that, I started doing research on it.

Thank you Renny. You have always been a solid support to me.

Yeah, it is very sad about my aquaintance. Hopefully they get the help they need. Support and help are so crucial for everyone.

Thank you for your vote of confidence Ren.

I'm so sorry that your mother could not give you empathy and comfort and support. And I'm sorry that she cannot validate how you feel or got you the adequate care that you needed for your condition. You are such a sweet person and deserve the best.

I try and do the best I can for my son with the knowledge that I have and the skills that I have. And I always try and improve upon my knowledgebase and my skill set as a parent. My one regret in the situation is that he was not diagnosed earlier. And I can't help but blame myself for that. I should've been more insistent and I should've fought harder.

So I started the first thing on my list today. I sent an email to his principal asking for a new IPRC meeting. The IPRC is the legal document as far as education goes stating that someone is a disabled student. And his old one does not cover his new diagnosis. He needs a new meeting to include his new diagnosis so that they must follow the guidelines and recommendations that the psychologist set out.

The chemical sulforaphane is refined from broccoli sprouts.

(Oct. 13, 2014) Results of a small clinical trial suggest that a supplement derived from broccoli sprouts can ease the core symptoms of autism in some people with the disorder. The chemical – sulforaphane – is best known from studies suggesting that it helps prevent certain cancers.

The report appears online in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The study involved 40 boys and young men, ages 13 to 27, with moderate to severe autism. Of these, 29 were randomly selected to receive the supplement (50 to 150 µmol depending on weight). The others received a look-alike placebo, or “dummy” capsule. Neither the researchers nor the participants and their families knew who received the actual treatment until after the trial concluded.

Before starting the trial, the participants’ parents and physicians filled out three standard behavioral assessments that measure sensory issues, ability to relate to others, communication skills, sociability and other behaviors related to autism. The researchers repeated these assessments at 4, 10 and 18 weeks of treatment, then once more four weeks after the treatment stopped. Of the 40 participants who began the trial, 37 remained through the final assessment.

- See more at: link removed

Yes any new research is great.

So today we file for our tax adjustment and to get a disability certificate number. We are having our member of Parliament send it in. Trying to get a hold of the CRA is impossible. Plus the lady at our member of Parliament's office told me of another credit that we can also claim. It is another portion of the child tax credit the disability portion.

This is the autism awareness lanyard I wear at work:

link removed

Everyone else at my job wears clip-ons for their ID. Not me!

Someone asked me today if it was a gay rights lanyard because apparently the rainbow colours confuse people *facepalm*

Sorry, just wanted to share. I educated that person right away, I'll have you know!

This is the autism awareness lanyard I wear at work:

link removed

Everyone else at my job wears clip-ons for their ID. Not me!

Someone asked me today if it was a gay rights lanyard because apparently the rainbow colours confuse people *facepalm*

Sorry, just wanted to share. I educated that person right away, I'll have you know!

That is great! Yeah it surprising what a lot of people don't know about autism. But like everything it is just a lack of education. And a lot of people don't educate themselves unless it happens to them.

I hear some radio ads about child development and autism, saying things like "is your child having trouble speaking and understanding you? Does your child have delayed development? Please see your doctor as it could be autism!" I think it's great such ads exist. I hope that a parent wondering about their child hears it and goes to their doctor or psychiatrist right away with their concerns. The sooner the better.

I hear some radio ads about child development and autism, saying things like "is your child having trouble speaking and understanding you? Does your child have delayed development? Please see your doctor as it could be autism!" I think it's great such ads exist. I hope that a parent wondering about their child hears it and goes to their doctor or psychiatrist right away with their concerns. The sooner the better.

Exactly there is more awareness being put out there! It is a lot of the pretty mild autism that gets missed. On the spectrum my son is pretty mild. Although as he gets older it affects him more because more is expected of him. And that is when you see it come out more. But definitely to minimize affects it should be caught early. But because my son is so mild it was missed early on.

So we send out our tax adjustment today through our member of Parliament. It was a two fold tax adjustment, taxes for the seven years and I missed out on the child tax credit disability portion for seven years. It is all retroactive about seven years. So we should know in six weeks the amount we are going to get back.

The constituency assistant said it was a good thing we're doing the process ourselves because companies that help in the situations often take a big portion of what you get back and charge ridiculous fees. They also tend to commit fraud on the paperwork.