Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 94 of 98 FirstFirst ... 91929394959697 ... LastLast

Thread: " In a box not a bottle" Asperger's revealed

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by hidden_kitten
    Hi, haven't read through the whole thread so you may have mentioned it before, but how did you get your son to try something new?

Did you make it in the off chance he'd try it or did he vocalise that he wanted something different? Good on him and glad that he liked it so it opens up othet options when you're out together!
    We were at a restaurant and he ordered it. My son is 20. So he decides for himself. But his menu is expanding! Not as a young child though. He was far far more rigid.

ooh! great progress that he even did it on his own!!! Did he like it?

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by annie24
    ooh! great progress that he even did it on his own!!! Did he like it?
    He did , yes ! He typical hates sauces and cheeses all over things so I was shocked. It got the sniff and tongue touch tests like he does with all foods but then he ate it. I was surprised too because he loses his mind if food touches on the plate .

ok, but chicken parm is super delicious!! Glad he was adventurous!!

My son tried using chopsticks the other day!!!

Gold Member
    Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    My son scored 93 on the traditional test . He has adapted to severe disability quite remarkably so obviously he can't be lower average . That would make no sense . He is also incredibly verbal in that if you tell him things verbally he "gets it ". In fact the psychologist who did his testing said he is extremely unusual for an autistic person in that he is quite verbal . In that he learns almost exclusively verbally . So he is extremely difficult to test and very difficult to know where he stands on the global scale . They pinned it at 93 because that's all that they could determine with the present test . But his global cognitive abilities were extremely difficult to measure because he learns verbally not written down . But if we think about it this way what do we do with societies that have oral histories or are just oral . Do we consider them low average intelligence , well heck no .

He has a great capacity to learn as well . I really don't believe he's low average . He is just an oral learner. Whereas I learn by seeing . Which is more traditional .
    IQ tests and intelligence theory are one of my interests, along with ASD and a few other brain-related things. I really don't think standard IQ tests are designed for those with ASD - I'm not sure which test he was administered, but most spend a limited time on any given subset of the test before moving onto the next one and requiring new rules to be adapted for the next task.

If you look at a person with ASD who has the ability to delve deeply into a topic and become incredibly adept at it fairly quickly, and to a greater extent than most NTs ever will, it doesn't make a lot of sense to administer a test that requires them to perform a new task every 5-10 minutes. But that's why it measures "general intelligence" which is very loosely defined as the ability to problem-solve in everyday life

So, everyday life moves fast and maybe those with ASD don't adapt as quickly. But to equate that with "intelligence" doesn't make a lot of sense. And yet that's the ability that IQ tests try to capture ...

The ultimate reason is that the form of intelligence captured by the test is the one that they can do population studies on to find how it correlates with things like health, career, happiness etc. That's all it really means

Originally Posted by glitterfingers
    IQ tests and intelligence theory are one of my interests, along with ASD and a few other brain-related things. I really don't think standard IQ tests are designed for those with ASD - I'm not sure which test he was administered, but most spend a limited time on any given subset of the test before moving onto the next one and requiring new rules to be adapted for the next task.

If you look at a person with ASD who has the ability to delve deeply into a topic and become incredibly adept at it fairly quickly, and to a greater extent than most NTs ever will, it doesn't make a lot of sense to administer a test that requires them to perform a new task every 5-10 minutes. But that's why it measures "general intelligence" which is very loosely defined as the ability to problem-solve in everyday life

So, everyday life moves fast and maybe those with ASD don't adapt as quickly. But to equate that with "intelligence" doesn't make a lot of sense. And yet that's the ability that IQ tests try to capture ...

The ultimate reason is that the form of intelligence captured by the test is the one that they can do population studies on to find how it correlates with things like health, career, happiness etc. That's all it really means
    Absolutely, the test is flawed for anyone other than your average person.

Gold Member
    Absolutely, the test is flawed for anyone other than your average person.
    I'd be interested to see how they measure the intelligence of a person who is blind and deaf. Would you give them a low score because of how they adapt to the testing requirements?
    Hellen Keller was obviously brilliantly intelligent

Originally Posted by glitterfingers
    I'd be interested to see how they measure the intelligence of a person who is blind and deaf. Would you give them a low score because of how they adapt to the testing requirements?
    Hellen Keller was obviously brilliantly intelligent
    Absolutely. The test is entirely flawed because it doesn’t take into account any disability whatsoever . You can have disability and be totally brilliant .

Gold Member
    I just had to cry tonight . I miss my child. Any parent with a child with autism or has a sibling with autism will tell you they " miss" their loved one. My son was typically social until he was 3 and then he disappeared. And I only " see" him about every 4 to 6 months. It is heart wrenching.
    I've read the first few pages and the last few pages of this thread.

I'm just wondering if you could help me understand this a bit more? Do you feel shut off from your son even when he is physically present, because he's not as emotionally expressive as other people?

Page 94 of 98 FirstFirst ... 91929394959697 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice