Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 6 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: " In a box not a bottle" Asperger's revealed

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Discrimination by insurance companies against people with disabilities. I was recently told that my son can never get life insurance because he has autism. Now I have to check that claim out.

That's BS. My siblings have life insurance as do I.

Sent from Tapatalk

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by Fudgie
    That's BS. My siblings have life insurance as do I.

Sent from Tapatalk
    Yeah I have to check it out. I talked to somebody who is friends with a life insurance agent who said that his grandson is not able to get life insurance because he has autism. And I thought what the heck? Because autism isn't going to kill them know what I mean?

Yeah its not like it's a terminal illness!!

Sent from Tapatalk

link removed
    Here's a study that states only about 30% of children with Asperger's complete high school. Wow. That is actually pretty sad. If they could be helped by knowing the way in which they learn I'm sure many more could finish. People have told me I am extremely lucky that my son is finishing high school. That he has the skills ,the support and the help. Another validation that I have been a great mom and advocate for my son

After this meeting I am just so overwhelmed. O.V.E.R.W.H.E.L.M.E.D. I have to be at step 100 before he is 18 and I am at step 0 because of very late diagnosis. We have to do private ABA or IBI due to his age which is hugely expensive. It takes 6 months for ACSD funding to even start to roll in. I have to do intake for the DSO. He has to go to a life skills class and work place skills class which is $2000 for 6 months.

She said I kid you not this going to be very difficult and he will fight you tooth and nail and he'll have meltdown after meltdown but you have to.

I don't know if I have enough left for this. I just want to crawl into a hole.

I just feel so defeated as a parent today I can't even tell you. God, please help me.

Please hang in there, Vic. I know you can do this. Can you get the ABA stuff funded 100% after 6 months? It's so, so important. Yes, he will meltdown and my sister melted down for years but eventually she did get better and went and the payoff was so, so worth it. She is lightyears ahead of where they would she would be in her life and she has exceeded expectations. Now she is in a work program and I am so proud of her. It is never too late.

Oh god I wish I could believe you, that I can do this . My own cognitive function right now is so bad due to stress I would forget my own name if I did not have it on my driver's license. I swear to God. I have Post-it notes all over everything and I walk around everywhere with a piece of paper and a pen. I feel like I need someone to hold my hand and lead me where I'm going.

I'm not even sure at this point how much of things are funded.

I guess all I can do is cry today regroup tomorrow write down my plan of action and get started. There's no time for falling apart at this point. He needs me more than ever.

I KNOW you can do this, my mom had 2 autistic kids and it was so hard but we all pulled through even though she had days where she would cry and didn't think she could go on. you sound so stressed, remember it doesn't all have to be done TODAY. Just focus on one or two things today and get those done or looked into and you're good. I think securing funding is the most important part, getting info on that, when it starts, what programs will it cover, etc. Just focus on requesting information today and don't fill it out today, wait til later, and go from there. Baby steps.

ABA is one of the BEST treatment options, at any age, for autism, even if you start it later it can still make a HUGE difference. Your son needs this and you know it and I know you can do this and I know that you will do this because I know you want whats best for your son, you want him to reach his own fullest potential.

I'm so sorry you're hurting.

Page 6 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice