Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can age gap relationships REALLY work?

The thing is, I think young women are typically more mature than men of the same age. I don't they're as hung up on age, looks and wealth like men are. I once dated a woman who was 5 yrs older than me and that didn't go well either. I was 19 and she was 24.

Not possible to determine accurately due to gravitational lensing.
    I once dated a woman who was 18 when I was 16.

And I can assure you. That went swimmingly. Or at least from my point of view it did - who cares what she thought lol.

Well me and my boyfriend have been together for 5 years so far and we're 24 years apart and we don't see each other breaking up any time soon

I think so.maturity doesnt always go with our age and if you love each other it doesnt matter

Originally Posted by shes2smart
    Last bf I had before my husband was 18 years older than me (I was in my mid 30s, he was in his early 50s when we met). That went on for about a year and half...but it probably should've ended several months sooner....

My husband is 11 years younger than me (I was 38 and he was 26 when we met)...got married less than a year after meeting and our 12th wedding anniversary was last month. So far that's worked out pretty well....

It really depends on the individuals involved.
    If you don't mind my asking, did you two have children? How did you approach that sort of talk?

[QUOTE=Zaphod;6700809]If young women dated older men, and young men dated older women, then we could all kind of swap round after a bit - the young women who had been dating the older men could now date younger men when they got older, and vice versa for the men.

So young woman dates older man, and young man dates older woman.

Then as young woman becomes older, she dates younger men, and same for the original young guy.

Sounds like fun, no?

Thats pretty much what I did. When i was younger I dated older guys...now i date younger ones. To be honest I think the maturity level is the same with the guys I met.

Originally Posted by Trinity11
    If you don't mind my asking, did you two have children? How did you approach that sort of talk?
    No children. I never wanted any. He had some from a previous marriage, but their mother relocated them several hundred miles from where we live. (Long story, lots of drama, upshot being she's a little cray-cray and he was never cut out for fatherhood anyway).

For me/us, it was a non issue because neither one of us wanted to be parents.

I'm curious, I really am. When I say age gap, I don't mean a few years, I mean maybe 10+ years difference. There seems to be a lot of debate about it, with some people saying it can never work, and others saying it can, but only if the youngest of the two is at least 30.

So I'm curious to know what everyone thinks about the subject.

For those who HAVE read my previous threads, this is a curiosity completely separate from my own life.
    I think men/women 20-30 years old shouldn't date a women/man more than 10 years older or younger than them.

Most of the big age difference IS ABOUT MONEY. (especially for the younger woman). Because she is wasting her best year to an older guy. If the guy is not worth the wait (no money) it will be a hard for her to start searching a GOOD MAN to settle again.
    WOMEN need to be smart. When you are young, date young. When you are old, date old.

Gold Member
    It depends on the two adults, of course.
    I am over 11 years older than my husband. There are exceptions to all "norms". I'm older yet my husband makes double my salary and is a lot more conservative. I considered myself average in responsibility until I got to know and married him. But we've only been married 2 months shy of three years. But I'd say I am learning a lot from him despite him compromising in the marriage a lot more than I do. I am working on that because I love him more and more everyday.
    I am 44. He is 32. I think it's a big age gap.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by lymphocyte
    I'm curious, I really am. When I say age gap, I don't mean a few years, I mean maybe 10+ years difference. There seems to be a lot of debate about it, with some people saying it can never work, and others saying it can, but only if the youngest of the two is at least 30.

So I'm curious to know what everyone thinks about the subject.

For those who HAVE read my previous threads, this is a curiosity completely separate from my own life.
    Of course they can. My dad is 14 years older than my mom and they've been married for almost 50 years. Has it been all roses? No. Has she felt like he was more like her dad than her husband at times? Yes. Would I recommend it? As a rule, no. I would definitely make sure you had a LOT in common. LOTS of similar interests. More than you would look for in a guy your age.

12. 01-16-2018, 04:46 PM

13. 01-16-2018, 04:57 PM

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice