Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 30313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Diary Of A Redhead

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by mylolita
    (but doesn't mean you're smarter in my opinion!)
    I didn't make it clear enough in my post. I concur that being educated doesn't equate automatically with being intelligent. Regarding the accent, I mentioned it because in one interview I had the developers and managers used Queens English whereas the rest had the local accent.

What a cool job! Oh my God! I LOVE this programme called 'Grand Designs' - so fascinating, makes you want to be an architect! What style of building or era is your favourite?
    God, I don't know how to answer that. Let me get back to you!

And y'know, the more you say this, I think it might be a mixture of his British traits and maybe he's just a little kooky/withdrawn anyway!
    Probably true. I think he's naturally introverted.

Platinum Member
    Grand Designs television programmes has been popular here in Australia for years. We also get Antique Roadshow (for years). I think it is on mon-fri late afternoons.

Platinum Member
    What a beautiful story about your son's birth! Congratulations! And enjoy those precious moments.

Originally Posted by Silverbirch
    Grand Designs television programmes has been popular here in Australia for years. We also get Antique Roadshow (for years). I think it is on mon-fri late afternoons.
    We used to have a program like Grand Designs. It was called House Beautiful. It used to play on Saturday mornings and I'd watch it with my mom as we drank coffee. I've always had some interest in architecture, but programs like House Beautiful and Curb Appeal really got me thinking about it. However, after going to school and working, my idea of architecture has expanded so much. It's no longer the "normal" idea of architecture. I still love looking at beautiful home designs, though.

Originally Posted by luminousone
    What a beautiful story about your son's birth! Congratulations! And enjoy those precious moments.
    Thank you luminousone - I am hanging onto every second in love!

Lo x

Since becoming a mother I have had this new found feeling of authority come over me.

It's a strange thing, a kind of, boldness? I've found confidence I never knew I had, but it's not the sassy, sexy kind of confidence women chase, I think this is the "matured" confidence you find in older people who have gained their quality by just being around for awhile or experiencing things. At 28, I can't exactly act as if I'm some kind of sage, far from it, but having a baby has been so life changing, the biggest challenge, that nothing else compares and the hugeness of the responsibility has made everything else completely trivial.

It's come through on the small things, like... when I go into town to the florist every week, there was another girl who served me and she was rude. She had a male friend in and then were giggling and laughing and swearing under their breath. I walked in and spoilt their fun. "Wait till she's gone" I could hear her saying, "Oh my GAWD you can't put THAT!" holding her phone up to his face, both glancing at me, ushering me out. How rude. The next week my usual little florist friend serves me and I tell her the girl was very rude and exactly what I thought about her and said, "I feel bad you having to work with her, what a shame." Seems small, but the old me would NEVER have said this. Small changes, but me and D joke that I am becoming an absolute Mammy and I keep saying in this overly proud jumped up voice, "I'm a Mammy now! I have authority over you!" Then I kick my leg up behind me with a lil arch of the back and grin all smug and the like. Lame joke, but anyway, it's kinda how I feel! HA!

Well, I am one very lucky Mammy because my husband crazily thinks my body is better now than it ever was before (I would think he was lying but he's just not the type) and as I speak he is buying us a brand new, swanky SUV car that will be perfect for our new little addition. The weather is just beautiful - walking through the supermarket underground parking yesterday with the heat baking off the tarmac and a summer dress on gave me the temporary illusion of being abroad. I had my little boy in his sling around me, my husband walking beside me wearing that daydreamy not on this planet look that he often does and the warm air at the legs and I couldn't help but inwardly smile - life, is, good.

Apart from, even paradise has not mastered perfection, because, life is good but, the mother in law likes to shall we say, comment? from time to time. Yes, I think she thinks she knows best. First time Mum, I get it. She's raised her two, I get it. But, new bold cheeky Mammy says, "That was the 70s love, this is now, and every baby is different so, y'know, back off" HA! Woah sassy Mama! No but really, I never said that but it runs through the old brain and if she keeps going she is going to get served, as me and D joke. A serving.

Talking of servings, a good friend of mine came round to the house and meet bubba and she brought her girlfriend (they're lesbians) who, I have nothing against but she seems to be pretty cold towards me and who we're sure has a real intense hate for D for whatever reason. He used to mention it after they'd visited all the time and I kinda brushed it off but it's too obvious to ignore even for me now and yup, I agree with him. I think he's because he's a typical, white, business owning, really straight and not very sensitive or metro bloke and it rubs he up the wrong way. I would never ask him to change for her or watch his P's and Q's while she's around, besides, my friend Miss Gilley doesn't mind and her girlfriend is really not my friend, she tags along so, we went to the beach and had a lovely day and I'm upstairs feeding bubba and I can hear them talking and laughing and low music playing downstairs.

The early evening had that beautiful quality only early evenings do when the day has been basking hot and the warmth is cooling slightly leaving the Spring scent of the blossom trees and hints of Summer to come. Hot, Spring evenings like this demand a drink and some music and staying up late with the window opened a notch to let in the sweet smelling breeze. They're talking and after I've put our little baby to bed I can hear the topic turning towards sexuality.

Now, D likes a discussion and he's very interested in science but he doesn't always have an etiquette filter and well, some would say that's not a good thing but it just so happens to be one of the main reasons I love him. Miss Gilley's girlfriend is looking a bit turned off as he asks them if they've heard of a generic study which has isolated the so called "Gay Gene" and after another half hour of discussion she suddenly looks teary eyed, stands up dramatically and says she's too offended to hear it and walks out and leaves us all a bit shell shocked!

So another one bites the dust! Miss Gilley looks confused, asks how to get out of our yard and then I haven't heard from her since. So touchy over just a simple discussion? I find our friends are all separating into different groups and some of them are leaving us like an abandoned ship.

But anyway, whatever! If they can't handle anything more than small talk I really don't care anymore. The Mammy attitude resurfacing. After the drama I peeked in on baby and my heart melted and it all faded away. What originally before him may of been an issue for me is now a silly niggle that I'm about to forget.

Life is sometimes strange, life is sometimes funny, life is sometimes hard, but at the moment, life is good.

Lo x

So another one bites the dust! Miss Gilley looks confused, asks how to get out of our yard and then I haven't heard from her since. So touchy over just a simple discussion?
    I used to get into trouble like this as a kid (and still sometimes even now!). I grew up in a fairly Jewish area. Probably half the kids were Jewish. The Jewish holidays were as normal as the Christian holidays. I think one of my babysitters told me that the difference between Jews and Christians was that Jews didn't believe in Jesus. So, the next natural question in my mind was, "Why not?" I'd already asked my grandmother why Christians believed in Jesus, and I learned that it wasn't optional for us (lol). I wondered, why didn't Jews have to believe in Jesus? Well, I ended up asking a couple of Jewish classmates. They became obviously uncomfortable and didn't want to discuss it in depth. I think someone ended up calling my mom and complaining about the fact that I raised the question! I always thought that was kind of funny. I was a child asking a question, and other people attributed meanings to it which didn't exist.

I notice that a lot. There is so much projection in bigotry. People who feel or anticipate oppression are often as prejudiced as their perceived oppressors, and often need others to display a certain degree of contrition for being so oppressive. And if the perceived 'oppressors' are blissfully ignorant of the issue, or simply not attuned to it, the 'oppressed' can become quite upset.

Just want to say congratulations! I'm so happy for you that you and baby are healthy and happy. Enjoy your family:) It sounds so lovely.

Originally Posted by Jibralta
    There is so much projection in bigotry. People who feel or anticipate oppression are often as prejudiced as their perceived oppressors, and often need others to display a certain degree of contrition for being so oppressive. And if the perceived 'oppressors' are blissfully ignorant of the issue, or simply not attuned to it, the 'oppressed' can become quite upset.
    Perfectly well put Jibralta, sums it up in one slice!

Lo x

Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 30313233343536 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice