LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Diary Of A Redhead

Platinum Member
    ONG, that's all just so BEAUTUFUL. In very happy for the 3 if you.

My son spent some time in Manchester and lived it. It is the only place in the UK he visited as he went there to stay with Australian friends.

Originally Posted by Jibralta
    Maybe you can shed some light onto this situation.... I have a British coworker. He's a good guy, but a bit on the stoic side. A couple of weeks ago, the heel of my boot suddenly broke as I was talking to him. I said, "I think my heel just broke," and I lifted up my shoe to see. Sure enough, It was broken. My coworker let out an abrupt chortle, and then immediately cut it short and said, "Musn't be rude." His unusual outburst of laughter made me laugh out loud. But he switched into complete stoicism and seemed to want to forget about my broken heel altogether. Meanwhile, my other coworkers had a blast about it.

I don't want to be ethnocentric, but I always equate British people with good manners. I'm wondering if it's possible that my British coworker felt uncomfortable because he let out that 'rude' laugh instead of maintaining decorum. Or is his behavior not a British thing at all?
    Hi Jibralta!

We Brits are strange folk! When we're not apologising all the time we're normally full of very dry, very self depreciating humour and yes, we talk about the weather a lot and yes, it's always too cold or too hot or too wet or too dry! We lack the European's naturally stylish flair and most of the older generation still have a war mentality of 'waste not, want not'. We like a drink a bit too much and most people keep themselves to themselves and don't tend to blab too freely to people about how they feel or their personal problems. Oh and we set a set time for EVERYTHING! Whether it's a coffee date or just anything, we have to have a time for it, it can't be like, loosey goosey! And if you are late you have to apologise a lot, because that's really bad!

After reading your description it sounds like he just didn't want to seem rude by laughing at your misfortune. That's the thing I find stifling a bit here, we're mostly a bit uptight and have a hard time poking fun at someone unless, and this is a big unless, they are a close friend or at least a friend, that's the big one - coworkers, acquaintances, meeting anyone for the first time and things like that, you would never laugh at something a bit daft or unfortunate or basically do anything you might think would cause the least bit of potential offence! It's ridiculous but it is a generalisation, stereotype, whatever - it's there for a reason because it's mostly pretty bang on true!

It's very sweet you equate us with good manners! I would say depending on what part of Britain someone is from, but we are normally friendly and pretty polite (especially if they are from the North of England, the South of England tends to be a bit stuck up, or much less friendly than the North, guess it equates to something a bit like the American saying 'Southern hospitality').

Definitely a British thing your coworker did unless he's very strange in general and he was simply acting a bit weird! But, I would say it sounds like the typical behaviour of the lesser spotted English man ;)

PS - what do you do for a living? I'm nosey that way!

Lo x

Originally Posted by Silverbirch
    ONG, that's all just so BEAUTUFUL. In very happy for the 3 if you.

My son spent some time in Manchester and lived it. It is the only place in the UK he visited as he went there to stay with Australian friends.
    Hi Silverbirch!

That's so lovely, thank you.

Oh cool, I'm really glad he liked it! We have a friend there who is a session player. He plays guitar, been on some quite famous tracks actually but he lives in Manchester, there is a big grungy kind of indie music scene there, Oasis come from there so it's a hot spot for upcoming rock bands. I've only been a few times! There are rough parts and nice parts but it's got a good vibe.

Where does your son live now Silverbirch? He sounds like quite the jet sitter!

Lo x

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by mylolita

It's very sweet you equate us with good manners! I would say depending on what part of Britain someone is from, but we are normally friendly and pretty polite (especially if they are from the North of England, the South of England tends to be a bit stuck up, or much less friendly than the North, guess it equates to something a bit like the American saying 'Southern hospitality').
    Ha! That's true in every country (the difference between the South and the North), even in Greece.

Just curious, which part of the UK has the best accent? I meet people from other parts of the UK and they speak "better/more clear" than the locals. It has to do with the education level as well.

Platinum Member
    Hi Lolita, he lives inner city Melbourne. He has done quite a lot of travelling and lived in Berlin for about 6 months. It was when he lived in Berlin that he tripped over to Manchester.

Thank you so much for the explanation! I felt very awkward asking that question.

He's always been very formal and proper, and I was glad to hear him finally laugh. I was surprised when he abruptly REFUSED to continue laughing! Especially when I was already laughing. I figured it was a cultural thing, but it's nice to have someone actually explain it to me.

I really appreciate the dry humor, by the way.

I am an architect for a living :)

Originally Posted by dias
    Ha! That's true in every country (the difference between the South and the North), even in Greece.

Just curious, which part of the UK has the best accent? I meet people from other parts of the UK and they speak "better/more clear" than the locals. It has to do with the education level as well.
    Isn't that funny! I know America obviously have a North/South divide - seems the case everywhere! I think Italy has the same issue too.

I was JUST thinking today - what on earth, York is definitely a great place to go but if you have to visit one Northern City it should probably be Newcastle!

And best accent! Well! I really like the Mackem accent which is the accent of the people from a place called Sunderland! It's really chirpy and friendly, they say 'pet' and 'hinny' instead of 'hunny' and 'de' instead of 'do' - it's brill! Better more clear in my opinion is probably more to do with someones class rather than education level, although if you have more money often and not you're more educated in a traditional sense (but doesn't mean you're smarter in my opinion!) They call it Queens English. It's a standard way of speaking that has no real accent from no particular region, it was an accent taught to BBC presenters back in the day for TV - morning news, etc. A clear, formal way of speaking. People only speak like that in the UK if they come from a bit of money normally or if they've grown up in a particularly nice area. I think it's becoming more popular now to have a twang or a working class accent. I think it's becoming cool to be really posh and cool to be really rough round the edges, but the middle class middle of the range accent is really boring and isn't enjoying the same love!

Are you from the North or South of Greece?

Lo x

Originally Posted by Jibralta
    Thank you so much for the explanation! I felt very awkward asking that question.

He's always been very formal and proper, and I was glad to hear him finally laugh. I was surprised when he abruptly REFUSED to continue laughing! Especially when I was already laughing. I figured it was a cultural thing, but it's nice to have someone actually explain it to me.

I really appreciate the dry humor, by the way.

I am an architect for a living :)
    What a cool job! Oh my God! I LOVE this programme called 'Grand Designs' - so fascinating, makes you want to be an architect! What style of building or era is your favourite?

And y'know, the more you say this, I think it might be a mixture of his British traits and maybe he's just a little kooky/withdrawn anyway! Dry humour! No everyone gets it ;)

Lo x

Originally Posted by Silverbirch
    Hi Lolita, he lives inner city Melbourne. He has done quite a lot of travelling and lived in Berlin for about 6 months. It was when he lived in Berlin that he tripped over to Manchester.
    I could imagine your son being very handsome Silverbirch! He sounds like a well travelled boy!

Lo x

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by mylolita
    Isn't that funny! I know America obviously have a North/South divide - seems the case everywhere! I think Italy has the same issue too.

They call it Queens English. It's a standard way of speaking that has no real accent from no particular region, it was an accent taught to BBC presenters back in the day for TV - morning news, etc. A clear, formal way of speaking. People only speak like that in the UK if they come from a bit of money normally or if they've grown up in a particularly nice area.

Are you from the North or South of Greece?

Lo x
    Lol for the like :)

Yes, it's the same in Italy and I think the disparity there is even larger.

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense now. :)

My father is from Central Greece(although my paternal grandma is from Warsaw, Poland), my mother is from North Greece, I was born in Athens. I spent many years as a child with my grandparents in North Greece so I do have the Northern culture more. Don't ask me about Southerners, I am prejudiced lol.

PS. Spring has finally come :) People seem to be really happy!

Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice