10 year age difference..

When I first met my sweetheart, we were crazy in love..we've been together for 5 years and things just seem to decline over the years. He is 36, I'm 25 and things have changed... There is no romance, no date nights.. And if I ask him to leave the house to hang out with mutual friends he becomes so angry and hostile with me. We are suppose to get married soon, but I don't want to marry someone that I have to beg to spend time with me, he is always cranky, and never wants to do anything but play xbox. We have a 2 year old.. And all I want Is to do family things but even that is to much to ask. I guess I'm just lonely. I don't know what to do.

• 1 month later...

A few questions...

1) In the past, did he enjoy hanging out with mutual friends? Was he ever the one to initiate hanging out with them? Personally, I am an introvert and am extremely happy to have a boyfriend who is as well. In past relationships, I'd agree to hang out with his friends, but over time I grew tired of them as they drained my energy and I no longer wanted to go out with them anymore. It wasn't anything my then-boyfriend did wrong and it wasn't the love fading, it was the fact that I couldn't handle their constant energy anymore and it irritated me to be around them.

2) Did he play XBox a lot before, but was able to separate game-time with you-time, or is this a new habit?

I really don't think it has anything to do with your age gap. I think he is having issues coping with being a father and a soon-to-be husband and has become reclusive as a result. Whenever my fiance and I (16 year age gap) talk about marriage, he shrinks away a little as well. He wants to get married and was the first to bring it up in the relationship, but the bachelor in him gets a little nervous whenever it comes up.

The best thing to do is to sit him down and talk to him about how you feel. Don't say "you do X" or "you should do Y." Just tell him how what he does makes you feel, and go from there. Maybe he doesn't realize how isolated you feel, and maybe he even thinks you have no problem with it.

Archived