Saying goodbye

Seraphim

On Wednesday we have to put down our Maine Coon, Mr Spots. He has cancer and could have faced a leg amputation if it had not already metastasized to his lungs. By the way he is breathing the vet feels that has happened. But she is not sure without tests. So rather than have him face a lot of tests and possibly die during the operation we have decided to euthanasize him. Mr Spots was an older cat we rescued. We had a lovely 3 years with him . ( he is 10 years old.)

For two weeks I have felt ripped up by guilt but I know this is the best for him. The only way I am able to feel relief is to not apply human emotions to my cat. By that I mean he can not be anxious and he can not be sad because he does not know what is coming.

He is my son's cat and we have decided to have his ashes put in an urn.

This is our beloved regal boy.

link removed

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ahhhhh! So sorry to hear that, Victoria.

Its a sad time, I know because we had to have our big ole Doberman/Sheppard mix put down as well.. She had a tumour in her leg so its with very similar circumstances I give you E-hugs.

Like most all relationship endings of all dynamics, things do get easier with time.

ahhhhh! So sorry to hear that, Victoria.

Its a sad time, I know because we had to have our big ole Doberman/Sheppard mix put down as well.. She had a tumour in her leg so its with very similar circumstances I give you E-hugs.

Like most all relationship endings of all dynamics, things do get easier with time.

Thank you . I am sorry about your pup too. E hugs.

Aww I am so sorry. I'll be thinking of you, your son, and Mr. Spots. I truly do believe they know when they are loved. And I do think they accept these things a little differently and in a way, easier, than us humans who love them.

He does look regal. Did he pose like that himself? Totally, instantly, lovable.

Lots of love.

my favorite pic of the regal prince!

how is your son doing?

Thanks Cheet. He is fluctuating between ok with it and sad. The cat means so much to him. He connects with animals on such an emotional level. The sad part is I work a split shift that day. So I won't be there to comfort him much until 8 PM.

Aww I am so sorry. I'll be thinking of you, your son, and Mr. Spots. I truly do believe they know when they are loved. And I do think they accept these things a little differently and in a way, easier, than us humans who love them.

He does look regal. Did he pose like that himself? Totally, instantly, lovable.

Lots of love.

Yes, he does pose himself like that often. Like a sphynx . He is very regal. He acts more like a dog than a cat though, it is the Maine Coon personality. He is the sweetest most loving cat.

Oh, I am so sorry for all of you. Hugs. He's such a beautiful boy! And I know the pain of having to let a beloved pet go, I can't do anything but give Internet hugs to you all. Maine coons are the best cats, I have a rescue now that is my number one baby and hunter.

The thing to remember is he will be out of pain and live forever in your hearts.

Oh, I am so sorry for all of you. Hugs. He's such a beautiful boy! And I know the pain of having to let a beloved pet go, I can't do anything but give Internet hugs to you all. Maine coons are the best cats, I have a rescue now that is my number one baby and hunter.

The thing to remember is he will be out of pain and live forever in your hearts.

This is true. His suffering is the most important thing to end at this time. And we will have our many happy moments and all the love and care we gave him in the 3 years we had him.

He was surrendered by his original family who could not handle his medical bills. He has COPD. And he needed a lot of dental surgery. We gave him the care he needed and another 3 years of life and love.

And this is why people like you and your family are awesome! Thank you.

Aww thank you .

Spottie man will also be missed by his fellow rescued feline friends, Shay, Bert, and his special feline friend Ernie. Ernie is also a rescue and twin brother to Bert.

I'm so very sorry.

We faced a similar decision about six months ago - and after basic tests, made the same decision. It seemed that extensive testing he couldn't possibly understand would be much more cruel than letting him go with kindness and love. Sometimes it's very very hard to put in perspective what's really for our pets - and how much is because we can't bear or don't feel ready to let them go - and want to feel we've done all possible.

When you know you stand a strong chance of causing more confusion and distress without a reasonable hope of a good outcome - it's time. You're making the best and most loving decision you can based on everything you know. All the best - I know even knowing that, it never gets easier.

My heart goes out to you and your family. Big thank you for taking in this beautiful cat and giving him love and the best possible life. Cancers spread too quickly in cats to treat in a way that offers quality of life, and you're doing the right thing by catching this before he suffers.

Holding you in my thoughts. (((Hug)))

I'm so very sorry.

We faced a similar decision about six months ago - and after basic tests, made the same decision. It seemed that extensive testing he couldn't possibly understand would be much more cruel than letting him go with kindness and love. Sometimes it's very very hard to put in perspective what's really for our pets - and how much is because we can't bear or don't feel ready to let them go - and want to feel we've done all possible.

When you know you stand a strong chance of causing more confusion and distress without a reasonable hope of a good outcome - it's time. You're making the best and most loving decision you can based on everything you know. All the best - I know even knowing that, it never gets easier.

Yes, the cancer is on his foot and she would not have enough skin to close and depending on how that went she might have to amputate the leg. At some point in his past before us he had been hit by a car and has a hunched back like a raccoon and has bad arthritis too. I can not see taking off a leg. He walks badly enough already . And he has COPD and may never survive the operation. We almost lost him during his dental surgery. And he is being treated for COPD and it was working but now his breathing is laboured so she feels it has metastasized into his lungs. Either way it would not be a good end to our big beautiful boy to get all cut up. Just,no. Best to let him go when he is still happy.

My heart goes out to you and your family. Big thank you for taking in this beautiful cat and giving him love and the best possible life. Cancers spread too quickly in cats to treat in a way that offers quality of life, and you're doing the right thing by catching this before he suffers.

Holding you in my thoughts. (((Hug)))

Yes, I would worry about his quality of life after. And also if he would even survive surgery. She told me she was honestly afraid to do the surgery. Thank you.

Archived