Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dad has 4 cancers - is there any hope ?

Bronze Member

Dad has 4 cancers - is there any hope ?

Dear All!
    My dad was unwell for a month or so. He complained about back pain.
    I just found out he has lung cancer that spread to brain, ribs and bones.
    He is 70. I am beyond devastated.
    Is there any hope ?
    He is feeling fairly ok...
    Has anyone know anyone who got better ? If so, how ?
    Please help me

Sorry to hear this. All you can do is be there for him and your mother. Hopefully he is getting good care at a good facility. Look around your area for cancer support groups. Some colleges, hospitals and community centers run them. Check online. It may be good to talk to people who are also dealing with a loved one's cancer/illness. You could also enlist in short term therapy to adjust and get support. If you are not an information adverse person read up on metastatic lung cancer. Sometimes knowledge helps, sometimes not.
    Originally Posted by irka000
    My dad was unwell for a month or so. He complained about back pain. I just found out he has lung cancer that spread to brain, ribs and bones. He is 70.

I'm terribly sorry, irka000.

The best answers will be from a doctor and investigate online, too. Try joining support groups online or in person in your community.

Can you accompany your dad to his oncologist and ask the doctor in private?

I'm sorry.
    I am no doctor, the only thing I can say is to take every chance to be with him and to let him know how much you love him. My father has cancer as well, he's been dealing with it for over 3 years, he's in his 50's. I think the whole 'beibg strong for each other' is sometimes mistakenly understood as not being able to show emotions and, yes, grief. Let your dad know that it's okay to let out his feelings and do the same.
    Sometimes there's anger, be ready for it. In my case I was angry at dad (yes, at him!) For not going to the Dr sooner. He was angry at his doctor. Sooner or later understanding and love will get all of you through it.
    As for hope, I think it is relative. Do all cancer patients survive? No. But I sure have hope that whenever my father and yours leave this world, whether is cancer related or not, they will do so in the peace of knowing they are loved beyond measure.

Platinum Member
    I am so sorry you are going through this (and have nothing helpful to contribute, I'm sorry!).

His doctor is the one to talk to, there are no doctors here that I know of. Do some google searching. Spend as much time with your dad as you can.

Sending good wishes to you and your Dad, Irka. They have come so far in survival rates now so hopefully your Dad's treatments will show positive results. He will be going through a lot of tests now and his doctors will prepare a treatment plan that is best for him and his condition.

Hugs. Be positive and encouraging.

I'm sorry to hear this. If the cancer has metastasized and reached his brain, it doesn't look good. I think you should prepare yourself for the worst, do your research and be there for each other as a family. Your dad may be withdrawn and depressed. You may have a lot of questions. I think the best thing you can do is arm yourself with the information you need to help yourself through this time. Don't be surprised if you still feel overwhelmed, angry or upset with the situation.

Just want to tell you how sorry I am to hear this. Big hugs. If I had anything more to offer than that, I would. Do know you always have ears here to listen. Sending all the positive vibes your way, and your father's way.

Silver Member
    Hi Irka,

So sorry to hear this!

Well, as someone who is dealing with a family member who has cancer, hopefully my perspective helps you. Said family member is making strides (under the circumstances, of course), but others unfortunately didn't make it. It's not an easy journey but it is certainly one that brings lots of growth.

What this experience has taught me so far is that your family - especially your dad - needs you to love them unconditionally more than anything right now and for you to be there for them in whichever way they may require. But your well-being is equally important so you can weather any storm. Do you have anyone in your life you can talk to about this, preferably someone outside of your family? Itís good to have a support group, say friends, a counsellor, etc.

I wish you lots of courage, strength and patience during this time!
    Last edited by greendots; 11-03-2019 at 12:32 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice