how to deal with loss of pet

Lucha

Hi everyone, I have a 16 year old cat with skin cancer in an incurable stage and I know I will have to take the decision to put her to sleep at some point in the future. I had to take this decision with 4 pets already but can't seem to get used to it. It paralyses and is depressing me. I was wondering how other people deal with this, perhaps good books/websites to read?

Thanks in advance.

You never get used to it because most people love their pets as if they were children. The only positive thing I can say is that there are so many pets out there waiting for good homes who you will love and who will love you and fill your heart with joy again and be good companions. You can never exactly replace a particular pet, but you can help fill the hole in your heart with a new one to love.

I lost a dog who was very special to me, and I waited a couple months then got a couple of wonderful young dogs to be my new 'kids' to love. They'll never replace my old dog, but they helped heal my heart as it is impossible to be too depressed around a couple of happy puppies! Same applies to kitties.

Archived