I'm in an approximately 1 year long-distance relationship and would love help to manage some communication issues. For the first 6 months of our relationship communication was face-to-face and generally good, however since GF went overseas we have had difficulty maintaining a high level of solid heartfelt sharing (although we do communicate everyday through text and occasionally Skype (every 1-2 weeks)). I would love to talk/chat deeper a little more often however GF would prefer to keep communication relatively light until we are together next (she seems irritable or withdraws when I encourage her to talk about her feelings). I know that GF has difficulty expressing some of her emotions and I wonder if her reluctance is due to this. Also, GF has had a lot of personal challenges recently and is struggling with stress, isolation and low mood (yet she doesn't really talk about these). I am left wondering if I should encourage further or just wait in the belief that GF will talk when she is ready... Thank you.

Well this is pretty bad. The out of eye out of heart situation seems to be playing out here. Especially if she feels lonely and isolated she might start looking for other guys who are closer to her. In order to prevent this, you better become really close again in her life. Any thoughts on how long you two are going to be apart?

Archived