"My Skinny Summer" Weight Loss Journey

Tanzi

Thanks to you lovely people of eNA I am now fully focused on losing weight and I have EVERY intention of reaching my goal weight.

Armed with recipes, ideas and informative tips (you are all such diamonds, you really are it all begins HERE.

I have decided to chronicle my journey on here as a way of making sure I stay focused. If anyone wants to join me on this journey then please feel free to do so.

For ease of reference I've posted some useful links that you wonderful people provided me with on my previous thread …..

link removed
- courtesty of Savignon

link removed
- courtesy of silversoul

link removed
- courtesy of Liraele

See you on the skinny side!

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I weighed in at 147lbs (or 10st 7lbs to fellow Brits) on Friday. I am a size 12 but creeping up to a 14 (which I believe is a US size 8 creeping up to a size 10, though I might have that wrong).

As I said on my other thread I was 118lbs (8st 6lbs) when I met my ex. A whole 2st lighter and a dress size 8 (US 4?).

So my target is to be 118lbs (8st 6lbs) by the summer.

I will aim to weigh in (and maybe even measure in) every Friday.

I'll join ya since I'm still at the early end of what promises to be a LONG trip.

I started at about 205 lbs (14st 9lbs) around end October/beginning November.

Currently, I'm sitting at 175 lbs (12st 7 lbs).

This week will be challenging - I have my carpal tunnel surgery and cyst removal on my dominant (right) hand, and since my left is also "impaired" it puts me pretty much down for the week as far as gripping much for long. So no driving and no going to the gym. Which means a lot of walking, and avoiding eating from boredom.

My goal is to be down to about 135lbs by July's end, since I have plans to visit my daughter. That gives me almost 5 months to lose the last 40 pounds. So I can definitely use the encouragement and occasional boot to the rump.

I lost a stone unintentionally as I have been in hospital for two weeks so i am doing the opposite and im trying to put it back on.

May I ask if you are doing any 'fad diets'? I am hoping the answer is no as this is a bad way to lose weight. One thing that helped me to lose the weight (before i was in hospital) was cutting chocolate and crisps out completely and it really helped.

For me, nope. Just following the guidelines to healthy eating my doctor gave me, and exercising more often and rigorously. I'm eating a veggie based diet with some meat and cut out sugar and "white carbs," and cut way back on pre-prepared foods in general. The only pre-prepared stuff I eat regularly is some of the veggie burgers, because I tried to make my own and it was a disaster

His sheet had me mostly giving up milk products as well, and getting more calcium from specific veggies. So yogurt is an occasional treat, milk went away (no loss there, I didn't really drink it before!) and more veggies to fruit (I'll eat 1/2 piece of fruit and veggies instead of a whole piece of fruit at a time.)

It's pretty much a lifetime commitment to change for me - sure, I can splurge occasionally, but it has to be occasional. And I really don't even want most of the stuff I used to eat much. I broke down and bought a burger last week, could barely finish it, and it sat like a chunk of granite for hours. Somehow, that made it lose all appeal!

I was the same. I gave up chocolate but i still had the occasional craving so one time i gave into it and had a little chocolate bar and it was actually unsatisfying. It lost all its appeal to me aswell at that time but now i have chocolate flavoured nutritional milkshakes (as i can only have a liquid diet due to being in hospital) so now i am craving chocolate again.

So how do you go about putting on weight without using supplements? I'm curious, as my metabolism is about as active as a hibernating sloth, so I've never been in your position! I wouldn't imagine it's much easier to try and gain weight if your eating habits have you maintaining though.

Oh i will be putting a little weight on as i have not physically had any food or drink for 3 weeks as i had problems with my throat. The milkshakes i am on are just to give me all my daily nutrition whilst i learn to eat food and drink properly again so its not my regime to putting on all my weight again its to keep me alive at the moment. Once I have learnt to eat and drink again i can then put good weight back on.

So how do you go about putting on weight without using supplements?

I intentionally put on 20 lbs from August to January. Dairy (cottage cheese, Greek yogurt) works for me.

I am cutting now, and down 10 lbs since January. Replaced dairy meals with fish and beef, and increased vegetables.

I'll join you a little blue and all the others too. I lost some weight before xmas then put it back on and will try and lose it again. I will weigh myself tonight, first day back at the gym since 3 months ago. I think I want to lose about 20lbs but will confirm after I weighed myself.

I actually thought about becoming the slimmest I will have ever been going to size 10 UK, I am now size 14. I have been 12-14 throughout my adult life and thought it might be interesting to see myself slimmer.

I will be doing the 5:2 diet. Eating healthy foods overall. 1500-2000 calories 5 days a week and 500 calories for 2 days a week.

Wow, it's good to see so many of you on here. Thank you for joining me!

I'll join ya since I'm still at the early end of what promises to be a LONG trip.

I started at about 205 lbs (14st 9lbs) around end October/beginning November.

Currently, I'm sitting at 175 lbs (12st 7 lbs).

This week will be challenging - I have my carpal tunnel surgery and cyst removal on my dominant (right) hand, and since my left is also "impaired" it puts me pretty much down for the week as far as gripping much for long. So no driving and no going to the gym. Which means a lot of walking, and avoiding eating from boredom.

My goal is to be down to about 135lbs by July's end, since I have plans to visit my daughter. That gives me almost 5 months to lose the last 40 pounds. So I can definitely use the encouragement and occasional boot to the rump.

Good to see you on here Mesemene! Glad you could join me … and good luck with the op, though I am sure you won't need it!! The walking will do you good!

I pretty much had to write the weekend off because of pre-arranged plans (a meal that was ordered ahead and family to dinner yesterday). I couldn't very well put then on a diet too!! So I decided, as I had pretty much written the weekend off, I would, umm, treat myself to a few naughty muffins.

I have been very good today … so far!

Good luck! I'm trying to lose 30 lbs too, but I just don't seem to have the motivation to do so.

I will follow up from time to time and let you know if I made any improvements. Stay strong!

Thank you. Yes do pop in from time to time!

I lost a stone unintentionally as I have been in hospital for two weeks so i am doing the opposite and im trying to put it back on.

May I ask if you are doing any 'fad diets'? I am hoping the answer is no as this is a bad way to lose weight. One thing that helped me to lose the weight (before i was in hospital) was cutting chocolate and crisps out completely and it really helped.

For me, nope. Just following the guidelines to healthy eating my doctor gave me, and exercising more often and rigorously. I'm eating a veggie based diet with some meat and cut out sugar and "white carbs," and cut way back on pre-prepared foods in general. The only pre-prepared stuff I eat regularly is some of the veggie burgers, because I tried to make my own and it was a disaster

Same for me. Healthy eating and more exercise. Well, not actually MORE exercise … just exercise!!!

Oh i will be putting a little weight on as i have not physically had any food or drink for 3 weeks as i had problems with my throat. The milkshakes i am on are just to give me all my daily nutrition whilst i learn to eat food and drink properly again so its not my regime to putting on all my weight again its to keep me alive at the moment. Once I have learnt to eat and drink again i can then put good weight back on.

Gosh Furby, I hope you get better real soon!!

I intentionally put on 20 lbs from August to January. Dairy (cottage cheese, Greek yogurt) works for me.

I am cutting now, and down 10 lbs since January. Replaced dairy meals with fish and beef, and increased vegetables.

Do you mind me asking why you intentionally put 20lbs on and are you hoping to lose more?

I'll join you a little blue and all the others too. I lost some weight before xmas then put it back on and will try and lose it again. I will weigh myself tonight, first day back at the gym since 3 months ago. I think I want to lose about 20lbs but will confirm after I weighed myself.

I actually thought about becoming the slimmest I will have ever been going to size 10 UK, I am now size 14. I have been 12-14 throughout my adult life and thought it might be interesting to see myself slimmer.

Fabulous!! Glad to have you on board!!

I lost almost a stone (14lbs) not so long ago, then after a weekend away I fell off the wagon and it crept back on again (quite quickly, unfortunately).

Ideally, I would like to lose about 28lbs but even if I were to lose half that I would be back in a healthy-weight zone.

I am currently following the Paleo "diet" (I don't really consider it a diet). I've lost 10lbs so far.

OK, so I had to look this up.

This is an example of what I found. I like it so far …

• For breakfast, make an easy omelet. Sauté onion, peppers, mushrooms, and broccoli in olive oil; add omega-3-enriched or free-range eggs and diced turkey or chicken breast.

• Paleo lunches are easy. At the beginning of the week, make a huge salad with anything you like. A good starting point can be mixed greens, spinach, radishes, bell peppers, cucumbers, carrots, avocadoes, walnuts, almonds and sliced apples or pears. Store the salad in a large sealable container. Each morning prepare a single serving from the large batch and then mix in meat (ground beef, beef slices, chicken, turkey, ground bison, pork chunks, etc.) or seafood of choice (salmon, shrimp, tuna, or any fresh fish or seafood). Toss with olive oil and lemon juice and you are set.

• For dinner, try spaghetti squash as a substitute for any pasta recipe. Top with pesto, marinara and meatballs.
  • Roasted beets and their greens make a great side dish for pork. Asparagus, broccoli, and spinach can be steamed quickly. Salmon, halibut, or other fresh fish filets grill well with accompanying foil packs full of cut veggies with olive oil and garlic.

• Berries and other succulent fruits make a great dessert. Pre-cut carrot and celery sticks, sliced fruit, and pre-portioned raw nut/dried fruit mixes are easy snacks.

Do you mind me asking why you intentionally put 20lbs on and are you hoping to lose more?

He is likely doing a bulking and cutting cycle. It's a common practice with weightlifters and bodybuilders. My husband is doing the same thing. When you bulk, you eat a surplus of calories in order to build muscle. When you reach the weight you want, you cut, which is eating calories at a deficit with the intention of keeping your muscle but lowering your bodyfat percentage.

Weight training - get strong in the winter; get lean for summer. I got my bench press up to 225 lbs 3x8, and I started cutting the next day

I'm planning to lose another 10, so my weight will be the same, but my muscle/fat composition will be different. My body fat % didn't go up too much with all the excess calories and weight gain, so I am excited for the results.

You are spot on! Basically, just ask yourself, did cavemen eat this? haha!

You do need to be creative because you cut out all processed foods. For example, I'm big on pancakes AKA carbs but it is obviously not allowed in the diet. So I use a blender and blend 2 bananas, 1 egg and maybe a little bit of sunflower butter or cinnamon. I also add 1/8 baking soda to help with cooking. The consistency is not like a normal pancake with wheat but it works for me!

Peanut butter is not allowed because it is a legume, not an actual nut. It is hard for humans to digest legumes. So I substituted either almond butter or sunflower butter.

Trust me, I LOVE food and I've actually not had a problem following this diet.

Oh I'd like to join up too!

I'm vegan already, but over the winter I've gotten pretty lazy about exercise and snacking and drinking too much. I do the green smoothies too and recently cut out wheat (I'm doing gluten-free now)... I want to get back on the Dr. Fuhrman's Nutritrarian program -- it's mostly all fruits, veggies, beans, greens, nuts and seeds. That's what works for me.

I don't have a scale but I'll do a waist measurement and see how many inches I have to lose (yikes). I figure I've got a good 15-20 pounds to drop. Also I'm committing to daily workouts on the dreaded NordicTrack.... keeping my eyes open for a kettlebell set!

He is likely doing a bulking and cutting cycle. It's a common practice with weightlifters and bodybuilders. My husband is doing the same thing. When you bulk, you eat a surplus of calories in order to build muscle. When you reach the weight you want, you cut, which is eating calories at a deficit with the intention of keeping your muscle but lowering your bodyfat percentage.

Yup, exactly.

This approach requires discipline, though. There are lots of guys stuck in a perpetual bulking phase at the gym. They get drunk on the feeling of being bigger and stronger every week. We've all seen them - huge arms, huge chest, huge shoulders and back....and a massive gut.

It's a little bit of a mind game doing a cut, and it can be depressing to experience decreases in strength, but you have to compare back to last year at this time, not last week or last month.

Archived