LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 7 of 130 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Imsuperman Files

On Growth and Cleveland

LeBron's coming back to Cleveland. My cousin and I are Cavs fans, and we're very happy campers.

Much will be made about bandwagon fans. I've been a Cavs fan ever since Jordan left the Bulls. When James left in 2010, I felt terrible for northeast Ohio, but wasn't personally offended by it. Once I got over the initial disappointment, I realized it was the best basketball decision, and it was the stupid "The Decision" special that I hated.

We made it up to a game in March, in which the Cavs lost to the lowly Knicks and retired Zydrunas Ilgauskas' jersey. LeBron is a long time friend of Ilgauskas after playing with him for so many years, and James attended the game to be there for the halftime ceremony. I quickly snapped a picture of him from our seats behind the basket at my cousin's suggestion after the halftime ceremony ended.

Bill Simmons, likely my favorite basketball writer and man whose quote is in my current sig, wrote a fantastic article about LeBron coming back yesterday. It deals with the artistry and thought process of the great players in basketball in general, and how it played into LeBron decided to head back to the Cavs. Even if you're not into basketball/the NBA, it's a truly excellent read. It can be found here: link removed The 1998 Finals video is my best tv basketball memory as a kid. Everyone at school was tired of Jordan and the Bulls. I jumped high enough that my hand touched the ceiling when Jordan hit the game-winner, his final shot in Chicago.

In his letter, I thought it was interesting how LeBron mentioned the Heat were like going to college for him, and I know exactly what he means. Even though I've received two separate college degrees, I didn't truly grow into a man until I was around 25. I think my current job had a lot to do with it. I have a work environment where I am truly appreciated, and that helped me mature in incalculable ways.

At my first job ever, I thought I had it good. About halfway through my three year time there, my boss and executive director changed, and unfortunately I then had to deal with poor management. It was a very slow and agonizing disintegration of trust. I was 22 when I quit. A little arrogant, and a lot bitter about the way I was treated. They didn't appreciate me at all. The new Executive Director seemed to hate me from the beginning, and I found myself having to try to respect him while I didn't understand why he seemed to be after me. It got ot the point where the rest of the staff would (deleted) around, and I had to handle everything basically all of the time. I felt then, and still do now, that they were holding me to a higher standard than everyone else there, and I got tired of being the only one that would get a talking-to as they let the rest of the horrendously bad staff do whatever they wanted. They wrote me up for two ridiculous things, one for being sick and having to go home while my supposed co-worker painted something on a window for some reason. The next for taking a phone call at exactly my time to get off work, while my co-worker was next door talking to other workers and not doing a single work-related thing. I called them and told them I quit. I was in angry tears after I hung up.

My boss at that job had the opportunity to stick up for me...and he didn't. He bowed to the Emperor Palpatine Executive Director and was very accusatory and suspicious towards me. Never once was I told I was a good staff member despite my unmatched dependability. It was a no-praise environment. I was on the outside looking in.

Even at my current job, when I first arrived, it took me a few months to open up to everybody because I was suspicious of them turning on me like my last job. And even then my boss and I didn't become any closer until a couple of years ago, and I've been there now nearly five.

I think he sensed my growing up when I went back to college to finish another degree, which I completed in May of last year. He saw the drive I had. More importantly than that though, he saw how I wanted to take the wheel, that I was ready to be a leader if someone gave me the opportunity. He trusts me to train up the new staff and feels more comfortable when he's not around knowing that everything won't explode while he's away. He's done small things to show his appreciation for me several times, and I'm always very grateful for them. Buying me a lunch here and there to eat at work, that sort of thing. No one every appreciated me like that before.

A few weeks ago I made a mistake and felt bad. My boss said, "You know to xxx next time?" and I said, "Yep" and that was the end of it forever. The person the mistake most affected even felt bad that I felt bad, saying it was no big deal after she found out it was me. That type of trust is earned and it takes time and lots of work.

I've been looking for other work for the last year-plus since being out of college. Nothing much has happened on that front, just a couple of phone interviews. When it does, I'll always remember both the good and bad leadership models I've experienced when I move on to whatever's next.

Cleveland. I've been there several times, and I really do like it very much up there. It's always delightful. There is this blue-collar attitude you can really feel. It's supposed to be depressing there, but it isn't. LeBron James wants to be a leader to younger guys by being an example of hard work, which he noted the city of Cleveland is all about. He now too knows and appreciates the process of growing up.
    Last edited by imsuperman; 07-12-2014 at 01:32 PM.

7-19-14

Nothing much happening today. Going into work later. Been working extra a lot lately and the extra money's just too tempting to pass up.

A recruiter from a job I applied to last week called me Tuesday. Sounds like for a phone interview. I was at work but called her back 1.5 hours later and had to leave a message. Called her the next morning and it went straight to voicemail. Then I emailed her as well on Wednesday. No response so I thought that ship sailed. She called yesterday twenty minutes before I got off work, and left a message saying she would try to be at her desk. So as soon as I got off I called her...no answer. Got home, and had to leave a voicemail. I hate when people do things like this, but I have to be super-nice because I really want the job. I always seem to get in phone-tag with people like this. I got off at 4 but you couldn't hang on another fifteen minutes?

Other news:

Chipotle girl is only 19. She's from Colombia.

Email buddy sent this morning.

I finished a book, which is always bad because then I have a hard time deciding what to read next because there are so many things I wanna check out.

The Hard Way

Still in the midst of incessant phone tag with the recruiter from that company I applied to. It's super annoying. I told her my hours for yesterday when I left my message Friday, even moved my Monday workout up to Saturday so I could go straight home and wait for her call, and she didn't call. Which makes me even more angry that she didn't listen when I said maybe it would be better to try it over email, since she can apparently only call when I'm at work. I mean even if she's out of the office a lot, how can she not have time for a 15 minute phone call?

Everything the hard way, the only way I know.

Weekend

That recruiter finally got a hold of me on Wednesday morning. We scheduled an interview for this coming Wednesday. Friday she emailed and said we'd have to push it back to the week of 8/4 and apologized for the inconvenience. It sucks, but at the same time I'll have more time to prepare and will begin interview prep this week. I just have to focus on not being overly nervous and be my confident self. I have to really focus on my speaking and make sure my voice doesn't waver as it sometimes does in interviews.

Seeing the new Apes movie here in a little while. Well, back to trying to keep my hormones in check, as always during summer. I probably need a girlfriend person or something.

Got the job today!

Yayyyy

Will it into being!

Originally Posted by IThinkICan
    Yayyyy

Will it into being!
    Don't tell anybody, I'm excited but slightly scared lol. Maybe more than slightly.

But my family is the absolute best and my cousin and another friend, my boss...so many other people deserve a lot more credit for it more than I do.

It's like such an exciting day, but I actually got up really early today and I've kind of had a drained feeling all day. Its been more than seven hours since I accepted the offer and it hasn't sunk in yet I don't think.

Start my new job tomorrow. Gonna spend Labor Day looking for something to do it looks like lol.

Quick hitters on First Week at New Job

-Everyone there seems really nice. My boss is nice but kind of quiet/hard to read.

-It's super quiet there which I'm not yet used to.

-My main job might not even take up half my day, but they encourage me to get good at that and explore other things within the company and take whatever training classes. Could be pretty slow, but the pay is really nice. It's a weird kind of position, and hopefully they don't realize they're way over-paying me lol. But it's totally entry-level at a big company so I guess it makes sense.

-I decided to work out after work and not before. Even though I'm doing a 9-6, I would still have to get up pretty early, shower at the gym etc, get some sort of breakfast, it's just too much of a hassle.

-Overall it went well. Can't wait for the first paycheck!

-Even though we hadn't talked in a month I emailed email buddy on the 19 of last month to tell her I got as new job (she knew I had been looking for a good while) and say hey. She never did get back. Oh well lol.
    Last edited by imsuperman; 09-07-2014 at 01:33 PM.

Got my paycheck today. For all three weeks WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Page 7 of 130 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice