Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 6 of 130 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Imsuperman Files

Keep an eye out, though. It's possible it wasn't a misunderstanding, but when confronted on it, he said it was to save his own butt. I've heard of that happening with sexual harassment cases before. If he keeps doing things that make you feel uncomfortable, report him again. If he is purposefully sexually harassing you, you aren't the first person he's done it to and you won't be the last, though you may be the first person to call him on it because men often feel less comfortable reporting sexual harassment than women do.

Originally Posted by Firiel
    Keep an eye out, though. It's possible it wasn't a misunderstanding, but when confronted on it, he said it was to save his own butt. I've heard of that happening with sexual harassment cases before. If he keeps doing things that make you feel uncomfortable, report him again. If he is purposefully sexually harassing you, you aren't the first person he's done it to and you won't be the last, though you may be the first person to call him on it because men often feel less comfortable reporting sexual harassment than women do.

I actually think he was. The manager on duty and our operations manager indicated that it was not the first time when I first reported him. Due to confidentiality, neither of them indicated that previous events were of this specific type of nature, but what they said points strongly to it. The first manager said, "He's gotta be on the verge..." and the second one basically flat out said this is not the first time. He basically gave a very thin explanation, but the HR guy seemed to take him at his word when they talked one on one. When the HR guy called me after he talked to him I even brought up that this maybe wasn't the first time, and he just said, "Yeah they(they managers) can't talk about that."

But I was kind of expecting this. I was thinking over the weekend, and I thought: "They won't do anything. The only thing that would work completely is a building ban and they won't do that." I was right. So yeah. He approached me on Thursday and basically it seemed like he just wanted me to apologize and I did, but I think he could kind of tell it was half-hearted. My plan is to just ignore him. I feel like not doing so just brings up a question mark.

I mean I don't know, the whole situation is really weird. He's definitely on my radar and everyone elses now and I'm going to make sure I'm in public when he's around. If anything else happens, if I even get a whiff, I'm going to report him and consult someone in the legal field, since HR has their thumb up their butts right now.

I wonder how much me being a male has to do with that part of it.

June: Advice I'd give the younger generation, or the younger me:

1. Listen twice as much as you speak. People want to be heard.

2. Your teens are weird, but, contrary to popular belief, you likely won't become who you're going to be even at 18 or 19. Looking back, I don't think I was fully mature until I was 25-ish. That's kind of when I learned I had an identity and was secure in it.

3. You are going to be judged chiefly on personality and work ethic. You have to constantly improve every day.

4. You have to fight your own battles at some point.

5. Piss poor management at work can happen. The boss who encourages you, is genuinely interested in your well-being, and appreciates you is the one that's going to be on your side when the chips are down. But again, you have to bring it every day to earn that. You are going to make mistakes. But don't blame others.

6. If you are male and not pursuing anything in math, military, or science, chances are very good people are going to judge your career choice and basically call you a lazy ---. You have to find the balance of doing what you're good at but also something you can support yourself doing.

7. Ask for help when you need it. It's embarrassing sometimes, but everyone learns from someone.

8. Don't ever depend your happiness on others.

The truth :)

image removed

The Strangest Thing

I was telling someone the other day about how it's so strange to me that the media barely even covers school shootings now after Sandy Hook.

Like: "Meh. Let's talk about Jay-Z."

Father's Day A funny and true quote

My dad said this today:

"I tell ya, if I were putting up a fence by myself I would have gotten as far as them. Those two are moving suh-low."

-My dad, who knows how to build and fix everything, on the guys putting up a fence for his and mom's neighbors.

Update

I'm bad at keeping my journal updated.

Things have been ok. Yesterday kind of sucked though because there was some screw up with the finance department and no city employee was paid. Yesterday they had a list of five or six banks that they told us would show the deposit today (Saturday.) That didn't happen today either, even though my bank was on the list. So I guess Monday. One good thing is that I finally got my internet/wifi speed upgraded, which I found was only ten dollars more a month. I no longer have 2001-era internet speed, and have joined the 2010s in being able to watch Youtube videos in HD which now fully load instead of stopping at random points.

Still no career-type job. No interviews or anything. Just more rejection emails. Last weekend I was talking about it with my mother and told her that I wished I would have started working out when I was around fourteen, and then just gone straight into the military after high school. Looking for a job is bad enough, but the utter sense of hopelessness you get even when you're just searching is bad too. It's like building sandcastles three inches away from the waterline. The thought often enters your mind, no matter how hard you try to push it out, that what you're doing is pointless. No employer, anywhere, cares about my degree or experience. Because it's never enough. Yet I just kind of raise that flag back up the pole every day and still send applications out. I'm thinking of some alternative routes right now. Something has to change soon on that front very soon. I just can't keep up this current grind.

I decided I'm going to once-a-day the Star Wars movies in canon order. Yawned through 85% of Episode I today. (I hadn't/haven't previously watched any of the prequels in years) With that movie, even more than the kid sucking, Natalie Portman looking nice but sucking, and the entire idea of Jar Jar being terrible, it's that the movie is boring. I might watch Prometheus tonight to wash the taste out of my mouth. A lot of people hate Prometheus, but I really like it a lot.

Also reading a pretty cool book. The Terror by Dan Simmons. It's historical fiction. The expedition it describes actually happened and everyone disappeared, but the book tells of a mythological creature stocking them in the arctic ice. I'm about sixty percent of the way through, and it's really cool. Even better than I expected after reading the reviews.

In other news, if you didn't see Columbia's first goal today, that was sweet.

Workout/Basketball with my cousin

I invited my cousin to come workout and play basketball with me today. He's my best friend I'd say. We basically grew u[p together and he's a year younger.

The workout was good.

The interesting part was the one-on-one game we played after, our first one-on-one game in probably seven years. We played make-it take-it, which was a good thing, otherwise it would have been probably a three hour game. We always play to 12 by ones and twos. We have spent hundreds of hours as kids doing this. I probably win about eighty percent of the time. I won 12-2, but it was exhausting. Every game against him always goes the same way. I start off really hot (I hit my first three shots today, to which he jokingly remarked, "The key to winning is never missing a shot" when he checked it back up to me. But then I get tired and my stomach starts to cramp from the exertion. I start missing and it takes me a short while to finally put it away. We're old now, well I am, so I had us take a quick vitamin water break in the middle to help my cramps.

The thing that always saves me is that I am a very good shot blocker. It sounds unfair because I'm like 3.5 inches taller than him, but I can time it up and not even foul him. I blocked 3 or 4 in the beginning and maybe 1 or 2 more after. In the middle he tried to step out and hit jumpers, which I basically gave him, then I just ate up the rebounds.

Even though I don't run at all and it really wore me out, it still felt good. Since I lost all the weight I did and got a lot stronger it's a totally different experience. I'm still learning what I can do athletically. He can jump higher than I can but he leaves his feet too much, and I just made a lot of contorting weird shots. He said they were Olajuwon moves lol. It was so fun though. Basketball's always gonna be my sport.

Random Thoughts from the Desk of imsuperman

-My father thinks I should be a cop. He really means it. I mean I don't know. I would, but it takes a while and there's no guarantees. And I would want to have a better job than my current if I were, but then that job would take up all my time and I would have to train too. I don't know.

-That married woman at work is starting to be weird around me again. She like actively seeks me out to talk to me, going far out of her way...I don't know, she's super-nice but I feel she's acting too weird, and I don't have the heart to tell her it makes me uncomfortable. At first I thought maybe she was just bored, but it's getting awkward. She interrupted my best friend and I on Sunday (I was off and working out and playing basketball) by basically walking up and forcing me to acknowledge her, and then asking me some random work-related question she had to know I had no answer to. Then if I don't say hi to her right away she seems angry/hurt and when I do give her a wave she waves back without smiling and, like I say, actually looking exasperated. Then one time I said hi and she giggled. Uhh...ok. It's not unlike having a puppy. People who need my attention and are not my three-year-old nephew are kinda weird. Like she's nice, attractive...and married, so I mean I don't know what it is. Like she needs an emotional affair? I mean I had heard about that and always considered it hard to define but maybe now I understand. Has anyone else experienced/seen this? I just keep my distance from her as much as I can, she can be sad about it all she wants. I mean I know I've touched on it more than once before, but I mean it really is over-the-top now.

Nice

A young woman that sees me when I'm at work mentioned that she did on Wednesday while she was ringing me up at a burrito place. She's cute. I have no idea how old she is, but likely notably younger than me. I had trouble hearing her though and thought maybe she'd be mad. Thursday I saw her but I was talking to someone else. I just waved yesterday and she later asked me how basketball was (I shot yesterday morning, and got another burrito yesterday afternoon.) I am always honest, especially about basketball, and told her I shot better earlier in the week, and attempted too many threes. She smiled and said it was good though.

It got me thinking about ENA and the whole "Women need to be pursued/won't ask guys out" thing some people argue over. I realized that, in my case, this type of thing is really all I'm asking for. And if men respond poorly to it, it's because we're so unused to it and really have nothing to compare it to.

I have no idea how old she is or moreover where it will lead. But it's nice to see someone that actually puts a little bit of effort into getting to know you.

Page 6 of 130 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice