Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 126 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Imsuperman Files

Comments on The Giant Teddy Bear Menace/Boring Stuff

These commercials are always on ESPN.

image removed

-I don't like where this is going.
    -That's a big (edited) teddy bear.

A workmate turned me on to these hot pads for your traps and shoulders...and OMG they work! I put one on last night and woke up and had no pain. Helps my working out and basketball.

I told a buddy, who is retired and from the south, the one thing that has annoyed me above all about my job search is that people think I'm doing something wrong in my applications. "Oh it's your resume or cover letter." He agreed with me that those thoughts are stupid, shook his head and said, "Yeah, that's b-------."

I really do hate that though. Do people think I don't pore over every word? I've been in the same education field six years and have two degrees. One in technical writing and one in business writing. I'm not going to send something off that says Insert Company Name here. Everybody good with that?

And other people wanna hear that you're just jerking off, have given up, or just flat-out aren't looking as much as you should. Now that I'm an older man I'm sick of feeling like so many look down on me without reason.

Snowing more. Crazy winter.

I cut open and drained a random blister on the inside of my index finger, which may keep me from basketball this week. I don't bother if I know I can't shoot well, even though it's only me shooting alone. Don't know how that got there, but it seems like it got pinched in something.

I got my taxes done this past Monday. I'm getting decent money back, and I may buy a PS4 when it comes in this week.

A friend of mine said once as a Facebook status: "Be yourself. But is it reasonable?"

You get tired of trying to make things different.

Gandalf the Grey

My finger feels better today. Doesn't sting as much. May attempt to shoot a little.

I got my haircut. Every time I do, I notice just a couple grey hairs that come into my lap.

I am an old man. Probably not wiser though.

I shot the basketball very well yesterday. Might wear athletic tape on the index finger of my shooting hand all the time!

Sorry I Keep Discussing Basketball. Here's More.

So the story with me and basketball is that I would play basketball like four hours a night in the warmer months as a kid. Usually alone. Sometimes with kids form the neighborhood. If it was too windy I wouldn't shoot. Everything had to be just right. My parents would have to call me in. I got pretty decent. I'm mostly a catch-and-shoot type.

There were a lot of one-on-one games with my cousin who was and is my best friend. He's a year younger. I beat him probably seventy percent of the time, but I admired his tenacity.

I played in my town's little league version in third through sixth grade. I was always on a crappy team. I rarely got the ball so I got bored. I got a couple of technical fouls. One time I leaned on a kid for an entire game and he started to cry. I said, "Oh come on." His brother tried to talk tough to me and I smiled even wider.

I began to become disenfranchised with the game by the time middle school rolled around. So...when we scrimmage, I score like twenty, during games and I don't get the ball? I went to three or for week-long summer camps around this time. Player of the week at one, second out of two hundred guys in the three point contest in another.

I was cut from seventh grade trouts and that was it for me in organized basketball. I viewed it as I didn't make the team because I wasn't popular enough. In high school I joined marching band because all my friends were in it. It was a great experience.

I played some pickup games at the local Y four or five years ago for a while. Those guys were too serious for me though so I stopped.

I hadn't played in years before I began shooting a month or two ago. It feels so good. Like being a kid again. I appreciate it even more now as an adult.

[B]Three Great Basketball Memories of Mine

1. My first ever made shot in city league kid's basketball is on VHS tape. I was on the Suns. Third grade, so age nine. Orange shirts with purple numbers. My chili-bowl haircut was fly. Swished it from the elbow. My grandpa recorded it. He laughs, pumps his fist and says, "Yeaaaaah!" My parents and grandparents are my heroes. He would pass four years later.

2. We had a little walkway of concrete squares that led up to the front porch. The squares were my three pointers, since the rest was just the front yard at what would have been the top of the key. So one when I was eight I smiled after recognizing somebody walking by as being a local newscaster. Jay Crawford, now on ESPN, told me nice shot after I hit an NBA-range three. He must have lived in my neighborhood or the on next to it at the time. I thanked him. I was probably six to eight years old I would guess.

3. My mom would drill me on school and tests. She would go over definitions and vocabulary with me as a kid. I would have never made it through school without her. Once, in sixth grade, I had a health test coming up. I insisted she go over it with me outside so I could shoot Mom would give me the definitions and I would say the word. So it turns out I'm out there like: (Swish) "Vulva." (Dribble between my legs) "Testicles." (Layup off the backboard) "Clitoris."

So anyway, that's my hoops story and why I keep talking about something no one else cares about. Hopefully it was worth a read anyway!

My one greatest basketball memory (of the 2 years I played):
    Knocking down a girl twice the size of me.

I think my dad was proud as he still brings it up some 14 years later.

^Nice! Also one time I was in the stands when my younger sister hit a game winner with like 33 seconds left one time out of nowhere. She usually didn't shoot, so that's another good memory.

Whew!

Work sucked today. Co-workers screwing up.

Single. I'm my own Valentine, so I'm gonna watch a movie and read.

People probably think I'm gay or something. I really do think that. I just let people think whatever they want. I like women only. Just don't know if I'm ready for one right now. Maybe. Maybe not. I just like doing what makes me happy.

Only Me

Truthfully, I miss the days over late spring, all of summer, and half of fall when my "pen pal" (as I call her) and I would write about daily. She's cool and pretty and I like talking to her. She kind of started dropping off in mid-November. It would take her a couple of days to respond, then a few days, now between three or four days and two weeks. One can expect that I suppose after about seven months of almost daily emails.

In mid-June, I think she was kind of hinting at wanting some form of er...adult online extracurricular stuff, (she very vaguely said, "Tell me when" out of nowhere in one of her emails, to which I asked for farther clarification, then she kind of said never mind and didn't bring it up again...of course.)

She also hasn't sent me a picture of her in a loooong time despite me asking. She's still nice in her emails, but I'm thinking of just stopping talking to her completely. I appear to have outlived my usefulness. It's frustrating. I'm not like sad or depressed about it, but it's more of an eye-rolling "typical me" type situation.

Only I could get friendzoned by someone six thousand miles away.

Played in my first pickup game today before work. 1 for 3, but both misses were close. The basket was a nifty little turnaround. One rebound, one steal. Only gave up a bucket to the man I was guarding.

Probably guys around my age to 50-ish. It's a humbling experience to learn there are 50 year old guys running games starting at 5:30 am, and they are in better cardio shape than you are, despite your lifting.

Page 2 of 126 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice