Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

e-cigarettes

Hoagy

I've just purchased my first e-cigarette (NJoy brand). I want eventually to get an e-pipe because I've been a pipe smoker for a few years but obviously cannot enjoy it at home or in pubs/bars/anywhere else. Even then I only smoke it 2-3 times a month which even my doctor agrees is nothing to worry about. During the winter months it's too cold/wet to smoke outside except for a few places that provide outdoor heating. So I've been thinking of using an e- version until more clement weather returns.

Does anyone else have any experience of 'vaping'? How do you find it, especially compared to the real thing?

I'm not sure how often you're "vaping" with the e-cigs plus the e-pipes, but you should know that the science is still emerging on these devices and what they do know is that there are still toxic, carcinogenic chemicals in the fluid that vaporizes, not just nicotine. They are far from benign, and have much of what "the real thing" is composed of. The list is not quite as long and you're not getting the smoke as from the burning end of a cigarette, but they are still hazardous. So I wouldn't agree with your doctor that any amount of vaping is "nothing to worry about." Should you be breathing in concentrated mixtures of heavy metals, formaldehyde, benzene, toluene, etc.? No.

I know that's not quite what you asked, but I wanted to respond anyway because a lot of people assume they're a much healthier version of smoking. They're not quite as bad, but c-cigs have touted themselves as being so innocuous and just water vapor plus nicotine, but they're more noxious than that. They're also not regulated, and many of the products come from China which has a complete absence of consumer safety standards.

If I had to pick my poison, I'd pick e-cigs over the regular cig. But make no mistake -- they're both poison.

Yeah. No one knows if e-cigarettes are safe so I dont know if it would be worth the risk. Some people end up being addicted to the e-cigarettes and its just a vicious cycle.

ahh so actually this is what the fuss is about ..I did hear rumbles to be honest but thought it was more a rumble to the government getting their tax on the whole e cig thing.

ahh so actually this is what the fuss is about ..I did hear rumbles to be honest but thought it was more a rumble to the government getting their tax on the whole e cig thing.

At first it sounds like a great idea, a fake cigarette that gives you the nicotine fix but none of the tar. But because it is so new there havent been any long term studies on them so no one knows if in a few years time all the people who smoked them can have lung problems or they could be perfectly fine.

There was a little documentary on them and one person said they now smoke both real and e cigarettes so they are worse off and are going to struggle even more to quit both of them.

If your 'vaping' E-Cig Liquid which is what I assume you are doing, you will need a glass pipe and expect it to get messy quick. You will regularly have to clean the pipe as the muck will build up. Personally I think it's a pretty stupid idea 'vaping' E-Cig Liquid but to each their own. I don't see any benefits in your situation changing smoking products.

Archived