What did/do you want to do for your 20th Anniversary ?

I know a lot of people wait until their 25th anniversary to do something big. But then what comes to mind is my stepfather's first wife died either three days before their 25th anniversary or three days after. But either way I don't think they got to celebrate it because she passed away. So there is no time like the present to celebrate.

What did you do on your 20th anniversary or what would you like to do on your 20th anniversary?

You and your husband should do a romantic weekend away (just the two of you) at a nice hotel. Or, go on a trip just the both of you. Or a nice romantic dinner.

I was thinking maybe a family party but then I got to thinking more.... I would have to invite my in-laws and that might be scary. My mother-in-law just seems go a little crazy whenever there are family parties. She talks over top of my mother. She literally shoves me out-of-the-way and tries to be the hostess. She chases my friends down the driveway to say goodbye to them. I don't want to stomach another one of those events.

It would be nice to get away just the two of us but but I don't know I'm trying to really look for something original. Maybe I'm looking for the impossible though.

Depends on whether you are big on family events or want a more romantic occasion.

For me, i'd prefer to take the 'romantic trip of a lifetime' on our 20th, to Fiji or Hawaii or Tuscany or some far flung place where just the two of us could have a second honeymoon together and wander and explore and relax.

But if you are 'group' oriented, you could re-take your vows in front of family and have a huge family celebration and spend the money on that big catered party rather than a romantic vacation.

My parents were adamant about no party...and my youngest sis was still in college. My bro and I told her to ask if they would come for a visit. He and I traveled there and changed their dinner reservations to larger table...and surprised them. We each gave a.toast to what their commitment meant to us. It was a wonderful night.

I know you can't arrange that but I wanted to share!

My parents were adamant about no party...and my youngest sis was still in college. My bro and I told her to ask if they would come for a visit. He and I traveled there and changed their dinner reservations to larger table...and surprised them. We each gave a.toast to what their commitment meant to us. It was a wonderful night.

I know you can't arrange that but I wanted to share!

That sounds lovely!

Our 20th was spent at a quiet wilderness lake, just the two of us for several days, and it was great. No kids, no phone, no schedules. I recommend focusing on just the 2 of you, like you did at the beginning. Talk about memories if you want, and each of your hopes and expectations for the next 5 years. Privately renew or review vows if you want. After 20 years, has your perspective of these vows changed for either of you?

Our 20th was spent at a quiet wilderness lake, just the two of us for several days, and it was great. No kids, no phone, no schedules. I recommend focusing on just the 2 of you, like you did at the beginning. Talk about memories if you want, and each of your hopes and expectations for the next 5 years. Privately renew or review vows if you want. After 20 years, has your perspective of these vows changed for either of you?

I would like us to just be the two of us for that trip. But if my mom can't take my son that's a no can do.

I don't think our vows have changed so much as we feel stronger in them. As to our future that is kind of up in the air. It will depend upon if our son is able to be independent.

Vic, would you be interested in going somewhere for a week or more? I suspect you're nervous about leaving your son... but maybe you guys can save up vacation time and go later in the year, and have a nice night out on your actual anniversary?

I'd go on a trip, maybe that Hawaii cruise we've been talking about, if we don't get to do it before that point, or an Alaskan cruise. Hopefully by then we'd have older teenagers who wouldn't destroy the house lol

Archived