My Dog Might Be Dying

agent1607307371

I lost my cat about 6 months ago. I had him for about 12 years he was loyal and i loved him more than most of my family. When he passed it hit me hard i cant tell you what will make you feel better but what made me feel better was talking with my family about him and all the experiences they had with him. Sounds strange since most people only do that with humans but like i said he was family. Make sure to give her a proper burial close to your house. good luck

I'm so sorry you're going through this and I hope your dog makes it. But if she doesn't, the only thing I can tell you is that I'm still not over having my cat put down...20 years ago. I'm actually tearing up just writing this. She was pregnant at the time and we lost all the kittens, too....very sad times. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful but there's no way to make this hurt any less.

Just hang in there...hugs

My husband had to have his dog put down a few years ago, he'd grown up with that dog and loved it to pieces. However she was suffering so badly that they all agreed the kindest thing to do was to end the dogs suffering. He said she went peacefully at the vets. He still carries around the metal plate from her dog collar wherever he goes.

When it comes to pets dying...it's always broke my heart but like anything it does get easier in time.

I'm so sorry you are going through this.

I'm so sorry... I lost my two old dogs about 18 months ago within 6 months of each other... It is really hard, but the thing about owning a dog is that it is such a perfect and pure love they have for you, and you for them, that you will cherishh every moment she spent with you and once the pain of grieving gets better, you will remember her with such love and joy when you think of her.

Try to be kind to yourself and pace yourself for a bit to allow yourself time to grieve just like you would any other beloved family member.

And there are so many wonderful dogs in this world who need a home and would love you just as much. I got a couple new pups a few months after I lost the old boys, and though any one dog will never replace another, each is so unique and will bring you joy. So I found that having new 'babies' in the house really lifted my spirits and helped ease the loss once I had gotten over the initial shock of the loss.

I am so sorry to hear this, I have lost several pets over the years and it is hard losing such a close friend. However, I always view this as these are animals, not people, and I go get a new one pretty quickly. It sounds cavalier, and i do still miss my dead friends, but when there is someone new in the house that you have to look after and play with, it helps with the grief.

Oh, agent, I'm so sorry. Hugs to you.

I'm thinking about your question about coping.

Having a burial helped me. I find it hard to write about, but my last dog I buried with the help of my grown sons and my ex, and as hard as it was, it was also helpful, gave us something to do for her when there was nothing else we could do, and it was something physical and grounding that helped us to say good-bye. She is still close to my heart, though, and I'm still sad when I think of her being gone. But cheered by the special memories.

Tell us about her if you'd like. I've always got ears to hear good dog stories, and about special pets!

More hugs to you.

I posted on here about this before, but no idea where:

A few years ago, I lost my beloved border collie -- 17 yrs old...I had him for 15.5 yrs. I had to put him down...he was in pain, and suffering from dementia.

It was most difficult....on of the hardest things.

I boxed up his toys, beds, chews...and gave them to the local animal hospital.

And I missed him --- his love, his presence.

And one morning, while still asleep....I swear I felt him jump on the bed. I opened my eyes....and of course, he wasn't there. I reached down to the spot

on the comforter where he would sleep...and I swear it was warm. And it stayed that way for a few minutes...and then it cooled. And my heart was eased,

because I realised...he was still with me.

You don't have to believe it --- but I know it happened.

one morning, while still asleep....I swear I felt him jump on the bed. I opened my eyes....and of course, he wasn't there. I reached down to the spot

on the comforter where he would sleep...and I swear it was warm. And it stayed that way for a few minutes...and then it cooled. And my heart was eased,

because I realised...he was still with me.

I have heard of this so many times, even from people in the same bed who felt the same thing at the same time. That would be really something to experience. I've had a vivid dream with my dog, felt so very real that I woke feeling she was not really gone, not in spirit. Very wonderful experience.

I had a similar situation after I put Maggie down. One day I heard the distinctive sounds of a dogs nails on the kitchen floor. I yelled for Marco to get out of the kitchen and when I turned around Marco was laying by the fireplace but he was just staring into the kitchen. I knew Maggie was in there. I thought it was funny how she made her presence known in an area of the house that she normally wouldn't be allowed in. LOL Sneaky little Maggie. Awww, I miss her.

Thank you everyone for replying.

Pepper was put to sleep at 7pm tonight. She'd had a second bought of pancreatitis and her body just didn't have the reserves to fight through it again. We were all with her, and she went very quickly and peacefully being petted and told what a good dog she was.

The vets are going to arrange her cremation, and when we get her ashes we're going to scatter them on the park where we walked her every day.

My heart just feels absolutely mulched. The house feels empty in a vital way. We came in and she wasn't at the door... horrible. I don't know how I'm going to get used to it.

And my sister washed all her bedding today, so now there's nothing that even smells of her.

I'm so sorry agent. Those first few weeks are so hard. Forgive me if this comes accross trite, but I think it means a lot that Pepper was so loved. Not every little guy/girl out there gets that. You were a witness to that special life, and will remember her forever.

What really helped me a lot when my last cat died was being able to talk about her, and I agree, a ceremony helps too. I went right ahead and told her everything I wanted to say to her outloud. I thanked her for being such a wonderful friend, for loving me, and all the joy she brought to my life. And then when the ground thawed, I planted a tree for her. Something about having something grow and tangible through the years that would always remind me of her. Continuing on.

Lots of love your way. There is no easy answer. You just grieve however you want to and what is best for you!

I've been doing ok. Just trying not to think about the last way I saw her (covered in a blanket on the vet table) and instead moving my focus to memories of when she was alive. It's just very strange to think that she'll never be with me again even though yesterday she was.

I think it's hardest for my Dad as he's retired so spent a lot of time with the dog while the rest of us are at work. He went for their walk today, and had to tell the other dog walkers...

And I keep getting texts from my sister asking how I am so I will ask her how she is. She's made the biggest noise about Pepper being dead, but even though she was her technical owner, she spent the least time with her, and looked after her the least (which went to me and Dad) so...

But she was, she was a good dog, and I think we were good owners and that's what I have to think about.

Archived