Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

savignon

Going to share some of the best tid-bits from my family/friends/life experiences and some general quotes. Feel free to add yours!!!

Regarding General Life Discouragements

"If everyone put all their problems in a pile, you'd probably end up taking your own problems back"

Regarding Raising Children

"If you want to hear their 'big things' pay attention and listen to all the little things, because to them it was always big things" (something like that)

"It goes by soooo fast....enjoy every phase and eliminate 'I can't wait until...' from your vocabulary. It will soon be that time and you'll be wishing you could go back"

"Every single day stop every single other thing you're doing and respond to a request they make. Play on the floor, sit and watch a show with them. Everything else can wait for at least one moment a day"

"Every parent is doing his/her personal best. It might not be YOUR best, but its the best THEY can do. Do not judge."

Regarding work

"Love what you do and be good at it. People who don't like 8 hours of their day everyday are a drag."

Regarding Relationships

"If you don't love and respect yourself, no one else will."

"Everyone puts their best foot forward early on in a relationship. If you find someone to be a major disappointment right away, know THAT is their best foot forward."

Favorite Quotes

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

"It'll all be okay in the end. If its not okay, its not the end." -anonymous

Hopefully some of these words of wisdom might speak to you about something you're currently struggling with or offer you something to pass on to someone else in a time of need.

Happy New Year!!

xo

Sav

I really like the ''"If everyone put all their problems in a pile, you'd probably end up taking your own problems back"'' quote, it is really good.

The only good advice I can think of is similar to the one above. Basically you could be worse off, you could be homeless, no family, no friends, bad health etc. Think about the people in third world countries who struggle to survive and dont even have clean water, we could be worse off so we should be happy that we are alive.

on being a parent and dealing with teenage children

Tell your kids you love them regularly. If you yourself make a mistake, be prepared to admit it, say what you're going to do to address it, and try to stick to it. Do not try to make your kids your therapist, or share every detail of your innermost thoughts with them.

dealing with people in general

(and a call to not to over-evaluate, which is something I fall into sometimes!)

“People are just as wonderful as sunsets if you let them be. When I look at a sunset, I don't find myself saying, "Soften the orange a bit on the right hand corner." I don't try to control a sunset. I watch with awe as it unfolds.”

― Carl R. Rogers

I came accross this years ago ...the second I read it I knew it would be "my thing" for life and it has been . I feel something when I read it , it settles my mind , it gives me the view I want and quite often need . If you don't know it already then I hope you like it .

Desiderata - Words for Life

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,

and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible without surrender

be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly;

and listen to others,

even the dull and the ignorant;

they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons,

they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others,

you may become vain and bitter;

for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;

it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs;

for the world is full of trickery.

But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;

many persons strive for high ideals;

and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.

Especially, do not feign affection.

Neither be cynical about love;

for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment

it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,

gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.

But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.

Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline,

be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe,

no less than the trees and the stars;

you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you,

no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,

whatever you conceive Him to be,

and whatever your labors and aspirations,

in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,

it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

I love this thread !

We must find time to stop and thank the people who have made a difference in our lives.

-- Dan Zadra

Never mind what others do; do better than yourself, beat your own record from day to day, and you are a success.

-- William J. H. Boetcker (1873-1962) American Presbyterian Minister

Decide on what you think is right, and stick to it.

-- George Eliot (1819-1880) English Novelist

My mom's go-to: "You're not always going to like everyone, and they're not always going to like you, but you have to get along."

My dad: "They did this thing at (my old job) where they put suggestion boxes outside of everyone's office. They got made at me..I took the bottom out of mine and put a trash can underneath it." Demonstrates with a "woosh" noise while moving hand in a 180 degree downward motion)

I took this to mean sometimes you just have to be your own person lol.

"I listened, I was aware of my success, but I never stopped trying to get better." - Michael Jordan

About life in general: if you have no goals, you are just running up and down the field without ever scoring.

About traffic: They will always hit you from the left.

About love: if you cannot say "in life...through death...fear to call it love".

(it isn't referring to vows...but intent)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived