Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Hair Dye : Please Help

diamondhead

I grew up in a crappy town where the water supply was just.....well it wasn't good. So my hair has some white strands.

So I have decided to use hair dye. My question is, are there any risks from using hair dye in the short term? Yes, in the long term, there are some dangers but in the short term what are the issues? Which would you recommend?

All dark colors in commercial brands contain PPD, a short name for a long chemical that can cause allergic reactions in the short run (as Furbys says), and cancer in the long run.

But you're right, hair dyes contain harmful chemicals. They are absorbed into the skin, and many of them are known to be cancer-causing and hormone-altering.

If you want to go all natural, you can find various dyes that are made with henna, a natural coloring agent (plant). It imparts a red color, but many formulas mix in other ingredients like indigo, a plant that darkens the shade. I had a professional stylist who only does natural hair dyes once do my hair in a dark shade of brunette, and it came out even darker brown than my natural hair color. If you do it on your own, it might take some experimentation.

I'm still looking for a good product. I haven't tried it yet, but you can check out Moroccan Method.

There are also tutorials on youtube about how to do henna dyes.

Looks for products that are free of any chemicals, and are just pure plant, or have minimal chemicals that are free of ammonia, PPD, resorcinol, parabens, formaldehyde derivatives (some of these still have some undesirable chemicals in them, though).

Even henna requires a patch test, because you never know what you're allergic to.

Archived