Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it fun/weird to travel alone?

Is it fun/weird to travel alone?

I've always wanted to travel to different places within my country, but whenever I ask anyone even if they say they'd like to as well they always have some excuse when I actually try and arrange things. So I was thinking what if I go alone? I enjoy my own company which is a plus but on the bad side I find it really hard to meet people so if I went away for a weekend I would likely be alone for the whole weekend.

Practically I thing I could manage it. I'm not to bad with money (and I'm not thinking of going away that often anyway), I'm happy on public transport and I have a car so getting places isn't a problem I have all the essentials to travel as I visit my friends a couple of times a year. I have GPS on my phone and am very proficient with it since I get lost a lot. I have loads of free time at the weekend since I'm single with few friends living near me (I'm in a social group but I don't really feel comfortable calling any of them up when I'm bored yet).

So really the only thing that's stopping me is fear that I won't enjoy it and the fact I haven't really done it before apart from one business trip. I'm not really considering going anywhere until summer but I wanted to plan it now if I decide to go so I don't end up wasting my summer again like I did this year.

So what do you guys think? Have you ever done something similar? Would you?

You won't know unless you try it.

I've been doing it for over 20 years. It is what you want it to be. If you're interested in seeing or experiencing random new things, a spur of the moment weekend is a lot of fun. If there's something in particular you want to go see or do, make a plan to do it and go for it.

Platinum Member
    I travelled for four months internationally...I found friends along the way so I was never really alone. There were times I remember thinking I wish I was alone actually. I had bouts of major homesickness though. Everyone is different I find...some people are too fearful to be alone for any period of time...others thrive in it...I think if you just do it, you'll be fine...and it's a personal growth experience

Platinum Member
    I would and if going to a singles resort on my own (4 times, a week at a time), counts, then I have.

Thanks guy, I've thinking about it for ages. Guess I'll start looking at places to go.

I have traveled alone but not too far. I am a loner for the most and have very few friends since I gave so much time to my last M. I go into the state above mine alot by myself and take off alot alone. I think the most I have traveled outside of my town is about 200 miles by myself. I am though planning on starting this year. I have asked people to join me and of course NO ONE can due to responsibilities or just lack of desire. SOOOO, guess that just leaves me as always to go. I love to travel and I really do wish I could find a travel buddy. Seems it would be more fun. But, guess I will have to do it alone. Vegas this year is my current plan. Just got to get all the particulars together. Hopefully in about 7 months. But I want to travel, explore and take pictures.

Bronze Member
    I traveled twice to africa to work with children. First time 10 days and second time 3 weeks(it supposed to be 2 months but I had some bad/ weird experiences, so I had to get a ticket back home sooner). It was totally adventure but it was dangerous. I could not explain to my family the half of things that happened to me.
    But if you ask me now, I would say These two trips were GREAT. : D . I wish I could stay more, specially the first time and traveling alone this is more than GREAT.

Hey Batya, tell us more about these singles resorts? I haven't heard about that but it sounds like something interesting. Like the OP, I would love to travel but I have no one to go with, and, while I know I might have a good time alone, something is stopping me from planning a trip by myself. I guess I'm just not looking forward to it, even though, probably once I'm there I'd be okay.

Platinum Member
    I have traveled alone and loved it! It was a major decision for me, I really wanted to travel and all my friends were broke, so it was either keep waiting or just go and do it. It was one of the best experiences of my life and I met so many awesome people. I never felt alone, and i went to a country were the locals are notoriously friendly. I think if I had of gone with a friend I would not have had the same interactions that I did with the locals.

Initially I felt it might be weird to travel alone, but now that I have done it, I prefer it. You can do whatever you want with no compromises. If I had of traveled with someone else, there is no way I would have been able to see half of what I saw, or be spontaneous at all.

When I have told people about going it alone, generally I get a lot of admiration. People think it's ballsy for a woman to travel alone, and many people (men and women) have told me that they wouldn't have the guts to do that. No one ever made me feel like I was a weirdo for traveling by myself. The people I met when I was in the county (fellow travelers and locals) had nothing but praise for me being alone, and more than one woman told me that she admired my courage and wished she had the same. I think most people will probably think you are awesome for doing this!

Also, I met quite a fellow single, female travelers. More than I thought I would meet, so there are many women out there that are doing this too, you will be in good company!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice