Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it fun/weird to travel alone?

Gold Member
    I've been travelling alone since I was 21, and never regretted it. Beaches, ski stations, natural reserves (those with a guide), big cities, you name the kind of tour, I've done it. it's great, you do make new friends, sometimes you back, sometimes you don't, and it's ok either way. I don't know what else to say, I love travelling and tasting new food =D

I traveled to Puerto Rico for 3 weeks alone. Went to luquillo beach, Ponce, Condado and Isla Verde. It was the best experience in my life. You just meet people while you are traveling alone and everything is on your time. Very relaxing and gave me a ton of time to think.

Thanks for all the replies your really making me want to go somewhere. I'm going to Japan with a friend in March but in the summer I may go down south and get some sun!

I'm not brave enough to travel alone I get nervous in places I have never been before and I do not like flying alone..I worry too much I need a seat companion I know to comfort me. I have a friend who is currently traveling all over the world...has been for a few months. They love it each new place they make new friends and have taken lots of great pictures to share with friends and family.

I'm going to the same thing. I want to take a trip and no one can go with me.
    I've never travel entirely alone, its always visiting a friend or relatives and staying over at their places.
    It seems like you do need a lot of guts to do it. But freedom of doing what you want and when you want would be pretty sweet. Good luck!

Traveling alone was one of the best things I did in my life. I am already planning my second solo travel. I didn't find anyone who wanted to go backpacking with me. I waited for few years thinking I need to find some company. Finally, I just thought, "am I going to regret when I am old that I couldn't travel because I couldn't find companion". I decided I didn't want to regret. I went alone. I met really wonderful people. Had great conversations with them. Saw things that I had dreamt of only. Ate crazy weird stuff and then stuffed myself with diarrhea medicine. Got lost in a city where I didn't speak the language, got rescued by a local college kid and dropped off to my hostel. Used hand gestures pretty much my entire trip to find toilets (no one understood my stupid 10 day language crash course language). Sometimes I felt lonely but most of the times I met fellow travelers who shared their weird stories. Best experience of my life.

You should travel alone. Use common sense to keep yourself safe. Common sense goes a long way.

Platinum Member
    Awww, this makes me want to travel again!!..darn, not in the cards this year though...

It's not for everyone, and a lot of people don't have the guts.

Travelers get it though.

I've traveled 25+ countries by myself, and love it. Right now I'd mostly travel only by myself OR with a trust friend/ girlfriend that I know is a good/compatible travel partner.

The freedom you experience is delicious. You are much more open to your surroundings. No one will hold you back. You are more willing to look up on the train, and say hi. Of course it's not for everyone. I enjoy being immersed and lost in new places...the mystery and learning about places first hand is my passion.

Unfortunately now I'm a little broken, I like to go off the beaten path...sure I'll do the cookie-cutter vacation sometimes (Pre-paid, guided stuff), but if the choice is mine...I'm taking a small backpack, 2-3 pairs of clothes, some cash, and my passport and I'm figuring the rest out. Not to mention when I travel women tend to radiate towards me like a moth towards the light...I think it's since I'm having so much fun

I was 2 weeks alone in South Asia because my friend had to leave before... the most interesting 2 weeks of that trip... sure i had a couple of moments of loneliness, but then I met a lot of people and had a lot of experiences that just wouldn't have happened if i would be with somebody, because u don't need to discuss what to do all the time with another person and it's way easier to talk with and join other travelers than if your friend is waiting for you. I wouldn't want to travel always alone, but it's nothing wrong with it and can be very refreshing.
    Also it doesn't mean being alone, u can join a course about whatever u like (cooking, photography, surfing...), join some excursion, sleep in hostels... all that pretty much guarantees meeting some people

I live in Ontario, Canada and went to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland by myself, flew from Toronto. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I like travelling anyway. It was nice to do what I wanted when I wanted.

I also went from Toronto to London England by myself tho part way into my trip I met up with a friend who lives there. It was great fun and a good challenge for myself to see how I fared on my own.

I have a friend who goes from here to different parts of Mexico every winter for several months. Most times he is by himself and he prefers it that way. He's a solitary person so enjoys his own company.

I say go for it, you won't know how you feel til you've done it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice