Ask For Advice

Thread: How do youe put a positive spin on things on college transcripts

RelaxByWater84

How do youe put a positive spin on things on college transcripts

I work at an early learning center and we are getting renewed for accreditation. I worked my way from assistant to lead teacher in my room. My boss needs my college transcripts since my degree is not in education to give accreditation some reason that I should be the lead teacher. I started off in college with education as my major. I took some education courses and failed one of them. I switched my major. I did not know what I wanted to do with my life career-wise. I was put on academic warning twice. I learn things better hands-on than in a classroom, always have. How do I put a positive spin on this? I'm nervous since I could lose this position. I asked if I would have to get some sort of certification and they said we would cross that bridge if we had to. I can't lose my job and insurance. Thanks for reading and responding.

savignon
    I'm not sure how to put a positive spin on a non-passing grade, but I would be upfront and when you hand over your transcript explain that you learned a lot more outside of the classroom than in and that you believe your job performance reflects well on how you deal with and relate to kids in the classroom. Are you required to be certified or have a degree in education? Depending on what the accreditation requirements are, it might be less serious than you think.
    Good luck.

RelaxByWater84
    I know I have a few Psychology courses that might help. I think they are willing to work with me. I'm just a worst case scenario type of person. I'm just nervous since I've finally found something I like and I might lose it.

savignon
    That's why you should be upfront when you turn over your transcripts. Ask if the boss has a minute to speak with you and explain what you just said here. Say that you'd be happy to have him/her come observe your classroom or perform any other kind of evaluation that might speak more accurately about you as a teacher than your transcripts.
    That would show maturity, confidence and integrity.

Moontiger
    Hmmmm, you could say that you plan on going back to get a complete degree in education because your experience as the lead teacher has shown you that this is your passion. You can also discuss how these experiences have allowed you to connect well with students who are struggling to find their path. Real life stories are great for this kind of thing.

RelaxByWater84
    Well, I actually was planning on going back to school to take courses in Child Development. I just want to make sure the courses at the community college would transfer out of state since I am originally from out of state.

toby17
    What was your final GPA?

I think you should just give it to them and stop thinking about it.

Either that or tell you boss you had a bad patch and you think your transcript might give the wrong impression and possibly hurt more than it helps and ask if there are any alternatives to establish your suitability.

Snny
    Quote Originally Posted by Moontiger [Register to see the link]
    Hmmmm, you could say that you plan on going back to get a complete degree in education because your experience as the lead teacher has shown you that this is your passion. You can also discuss how these experiences have allowed you to connect well with students who are struggling to find their path. Real life stories are great for this kind of thing.
    This is the best explanation to use if you plan to pursue a job in the teaching field.

Top Threads
Is it wrong that I don't drive my parent's car to drive myself places as of now?
I am 20 and I have my driver's license but I don't have my own car yet so I have to rely on my parents and the bus to get me places but my parents
How do I handle these girls?
I work as a property manager and our units usually have multiple offers to rent them as they are well-priced and very nice. We are 100% occupied and
Quitting my job - Got offer more money - better to leave for lower pay elsewhere
I work for a family owned business. I have been here 2 years. Let me say that I am one of the 2 veterans. Everyone else is new. That says alot about
Bad driving instructor
I finally go to the courage to sack my instructor yesterday, I'm now on a waiting list for a very popular one. Anyway not sure if I should leave a
To Stay or to Move??
I feel like I am very much indecisive in this topic. Story is that I am in a graduate program expecting to graduate in December. I'll be a
Working another department
JUST TO CLARIFY I would continue to work in my current department, our hotel DOES allow working in multiple departments. I currently work in a

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Don Juan President
I'm the president of Don Juans. I know all the top moves to make with females and I've had sex so many times. If a man needs advice ask right here.
Talk Dirty to Me!
OMGosh this is rampant. I have been serial dating in hopes of finding a long term relationship. BTW, nn the past two weeks I have been doing really
Is it wrong that I don't drive my parent's car to drive myself places as of now?
I am 20 and I have my driver's license but I don't have my own car yet so I have to rely on my parents and the bus to get me places but my parents
Friendship changes, how to deal?
Hello All, My friend and I are close. We consider our friendship like a brother & sister type. Lately, I've been noticing he has been treating me
Online Dating Descripton Sets Off Red Flags For Me, But Maybe Not for Others?
I have someone who has been giving me attention with Online Dating (yes, I thought I'd give it a gentle go. Dip my toe in the water even though I was
Help
Hi, I'm 37 and I have been with my partner for about 5 years and we have been married just under a year. About 5 months ago my now wife had an
Did you ever get over your first love? Post your stories!
Hello, I've been feeling kind of down lately because I always hear people saying that you never get over your first love, or you'll always compare
Ask For Advice