How much exercise is enough for a dog?

adviseseeker

Breed is half beagle, half rottie/blue heeler cross. She's not super high energy and sleeps for most of the evenings, but does really enjoy walks and sniffing things (the beagle part) so lots of pulling on the leash which is frustrating...if she lays around a lot in the evening is this a safe bet that she's had enough exercise?

One walk a day is perfectly fine as long as the dog is getting attention throughout the day. And if the dog seems fine with that and is not shredding things, etc, that's fine.

Yes, if she is laying around and not shredding, circling and getting restless - she is fine as long as her weight is at a healthy level.

My corgi is 27 lbs and has to go out for runs and long walks. A cross hound dog will need the same amount if exercise.

If he's pulling a lot on your leash to the point of frustration, that means he needs leash train. A dog has to know that YOU are in charge of his walks, the direction you go, and that it is up to you for him to go up to another dog. Make sure that your dog is not in front of you during walks; he has to walk beside you. Otherwise, the dog will take it that if he's walking in front of you... he's in charge. Practice getting him to walk beside you. And if you are using one of those retractable leashes.... get rid of it. Retractable leashes do not control a dog better than a regular leash.

And if he's still pilling, definitely get a Halti. Just like a horse halti, it goes around the dogs head and you have better control of him not going in front of you or pulling you in different directions.

I have a harness and she pulls less, but still quite a bit. It's always been hard trying to get her to walk beside me because the pulling is exhausting I can only keep it up for so long before I have to give up. But I've never tried a halti, so maybe I'll give that a try.

She's not destroying things during the day which is good, and she chills out in the evenings so I'm just assuming it's okay. My vet says she's a healthy weight, and of course she does get longer walks and runs out and about during the weekend - I'm just referring to weekdays for the two 20-minute sessions.

There's your problem- harnesses give your dog more leeway to pull and be in control of your walks. My dog trainer has suggested that a harness should be used after the dog is fully leash trained and is not pulling you around. People are so concerned about their dogs choking when they pull on leashes that when they them into a harness, there is no immediate consequence for the pulling behavior. A dog will not continue to pull if they are choking themselves, realize that is not the direction you want them to go and they aren't going to win if they continue to pull.

I highly recommend collar and leash or a halti to minimize pulling and have better control over the dog. The halti has given me faster leash training results and does not choke my dog. The only downside with a halti is getting the dog to accept wearing it... And that will take some adjustment time.

Archived