"a lot to offer"

stormie

What....? I doubt a "saying" exclusively means one thing. Its neither a good thing or bad, its just a saying and you have to ask him what he has to offer. You know how many people tell me i have a lot to offer, and i doubt they saw my penis, they usually mean personality traits, looks, and other general things.

It means, either:

1. "I'm burnt, I've been put down/cheated on/criticized for an array of things, I'm wary, I'm insecure, and everyday I look at myself in the mirror and say, 'fake it 'til you make it'." And that friends have told me to get on a dating site and give it a try because I've gotten too comfortable giving up on myself, and that "seriously, you're a good catch".

2. I'm so arrogant I don't need to indicate anything about myself. Discover the magic that is me, based on my height, weight, hair and eye color, or move along.

Next profile.

I take it as an empty statement that means absolutely nothing. It's something pretty much any person looking for a relationship can say about themselves, just like the phrase "fun-loving".

For me, that phrase in a profile is an INSTANT deal-breaker -- so much so, I scan a profile for it and if I see it, BANG. lol Fortunately, it's usually in the first half of the first sentence, so I don't have to look that far.

Couldn't it be someone awkwardly trying to fill his/her profile? How can you know much from this expression alone? ("what do I say about myself?" "Well, you have a lot to offer. Say that.") I haven't done online dating, so I'm just guessing.

This actually sounds more realistic. It's probably an awkward statement meant to fill in a profile.

Women don't often say they have 'a lot to offer' though, do they?

yes they have. I've never heard of it being used for a sexual thing, ive always seen it as something uncreative people use to attract. And i have asked them and its usually a list of various things that for what ever reason they didnt write out, it ranges from being very loving to family values.

I've never found it relating to something sexual either. It's a very, very generic statement, and non-gender related as well.

Whatever it "means" from the point of view of qualities they haven't listed, what it means to me is that this person really isn't all that intelligent (and as Thor said, creative.) Because for you to try to sell yourself with the line that you have "a lot to offer", you'd have to be imagining that this makes you stand out from everyone else on the site. Do you really think that all your competition doesn't also think they have a lot to offer? Do you really think that your viewers aren't contacting all your competition with the hope that all of them have "a lot to offer"? Duh.

So to me, it doesn't matter what qualities this person has to offer. They don't have one quality to offer that's rather important to me: having basic smarts.

If you don't know what to write about yourself and are drawing blanks, that tells me something right there about you.

But in my experience, most people are not naturally just this unintelligent without something else going on, some emotional overlay, as I've mentioned in my other post -- either apathy/jadedness around dating, or a desire to appear a bit mysterious, thinking of this as a lure.

It's kind of like, I always get a kick out of the ones that list, "I'm attractive" and have a photo. HAHA, I'll come to that conclusion, okay? Let me be the judge of whether I find you physically attractive. Your self-evaluation isn't a FACT about you. NEXT.

I know I sound pretty brutal, but one reason I don't go through reams of dead-ends (not that I'm actively dating currently) is because I read in between the lines of people's profiles, not just what they are outright saying.

So to me, it doesn't matter what qualities this person has to offer. They don't have one quality to offer that's rather important to me: having basic smarts.

If you don't know what to write about yourself and are drawing blanks, that tells me something right there about you..

Some people are not strong on self-promotion while others love to talk about themselves and makes themselves sound good on paper. It isn't necessarily about smarts.

Some people are not strong on self-promotion while others love to talk about themselves and makes themselves sound good on paper. It isn't necessarily about smarts.

I'm talking about the kind of smarts that includes enough awareness to think, "My saying something this vague and universally assumed, as long as I'm on a dating site, is actually working against me."

You can be pretty bad on self-promotion and yet also realize that saying that is not a smart approach to a dating site. And I don't think people who (make themselves) sound good on paper are necessarily slick talkers who love to talk about themselves.

Like I said though, it's not necessarily a smarts issue. It's an orientation issue a lot of times, as I've said.

Either way, I wouldn't spend any time on a profile that says that. But that's just my own personal slant, as it's just not appealing to me no matter how it's interpreted.

Dating sites are like a job market, where prospective "employers" are looking for the best, and you need to view your profile as a personal "resume." I would not advise anyone to put on a resume, "I've got good qualities" where it asks what you're good at, so I wouldn't call that smart on a dating site, either.

I agree. My partner and I met online and he said that he "has a lot to offer." Didn't think anything negative of it. Turns out he was right! I didn't take it as unimaginative or arrogant or evidence of anything else. It's just not a red flag phrase for me, especially when considering it out of context.

I agree. My partner and I met online and he said that he "has a lot to offer." Didn't think anything negative of it. Turns out he was right! I didn't take it as unimaginative or arrogant or evidence of anything else. It's just not a red flag phrase for me, especially when considering it out of context.

Did he flesh in other stuff on the profile, say other things so you could get a really keen sense about some of his qualities? Or did he leave it that generic? How nondescript was his profile in general?

Did he flesh in other stuff on the profile, say other things so you could get a really keen sense about some of his qualities? Or did he leave it that generic? How nondescript was his profile in general?

Well, I am thinking of the different parts of the profile. In the opening/overview section, it was pretty general and non-descript. He tended to flesh things out more when he gave examples of things he likes to do, favorite movies/books/TV shows. But he didn't really reveal anything about his true, inner self. For example, I cannot imagine him saying that he is a sensitive person who was bullied as a teen and has developed a great sense of empathy for young people who are outcasts.

So, I guess I would say the profile for him what not a comfortable place for revealing his very rich and complex inner life, so he kept it light and generic because he thought that was a good approach.

Archived