"I'm sorry, but we're gonna have to let you go.."

ideal87

When those words came out of my supervisors mouth, the feeling that came over me was indescribable. It felt like I got hit by a freight train, to say the least. Last week, while I was on vacation, I smoked a joint and when I got back to work this past Monday, I got selected for a random drug screen. I found out earlier today that I failed it, and was fired on the spot. I know what I did was wrong. It was against my company's policy, but I didn't use my better judgment, and did it anyhow. Now it's a decision I'll have to live with, and accept.

The reason I'm on here is because I guess I'm trying to find out what to do next. I don't know what to do with myself. I had a damn good job with excellent benefits, great pay, and lots of opportunity to move up, but that's all gone down the drain. I'd appreciate any advice and input from anybody who may have been in this position before--because quite frankly, I haven't (I put myself into it, I accept that), and I'm lost. Thanks in advance

I'm sorry that happened to you. I, for one, do not think it's your employer's right to screen you for drugs unless you're driving busses or trains and the public's safety is your responsibility. If you're pushing papers around, then wth? But you're on vacation from the company---and do they screen people for alcohol consumption on Mondays?

I'm sorry that happened to you. I, for one, do not think it's your employer's right to screen you for drugs unless you're driving busses or trains and the public's safety is your responsibility. If you're pushing papers around, then wth? But you're on vacation from the company---and do they screen people for alcohol consumption on Mondays?

I work in the oil & gas industry, where they're very big on safety, so drug screening is not uncommon out here. Like I said, I take responsibility for what I did, but in the same instance, it's not as if it was a regular thing. It's not like I was getting blazed on the job. It was a one time thing and that's it. I've passed several drug screenings beforehand, and even had to do a hair test before I got hired on.

As far as alcohol consumption screening goes, it's all random..or so they say

I work in the oil & gas industry, where they're very big on safety, so drug screening is not uncommon out here. Like I said, I take responsibility for what I did, but in the same instance, it's not as if it was a regular thing. It's not like I was getting blazed on the job. It was a one time thing and that's it. I've passed several drug screenings beforehand, and even had to do a hair test before I got hired on.

As far as alcohol consumption screening goes, it's all random..or so they say

interesting that your random number came up right after you came off of a vacation where you were no where near the job.

I still find it crazy that people get fired for weed. I am sorry about your loss. Did they test for metabolites or active THC? Because if it was for metabolites you can be under a certain threshold under most workplace laws. Also if that was the one occasion in the past thirty days that you have used i can not see your levels being very high. I take workplace drug tests (under the table) to see where i am. Our limit is 1.5ng/ml which is a metabolite test, and i am a every day user and my levels are just over 2.3ng/ml, but the one week i did not use then tested again i was down to a 1.7ng/ml.

I believe that everything happens for a reason. Something similar happened to me once and it sent me down a completely different path in life. My life is great now. Who knows what might have happened had I stayed at that job but everything worked out in the end. It really sucks that you got fired for that reason. I believe that what you do in your free time is your own business as long as it does not affect your job. Now if you came into work high and they tested you that would be a completely different story. Not the case in this situation. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Turn it into something good. Take the opportunity to have a better life, whatever that may be.

That really sucks!

I'm not sure what your odds are of getting back into the field. If I were you I would look into the laws regarding references. Really, there's not a lot of things that previous employers are allowed to say as a reference. Slandering issue? I'm not sure; I only vaguely remember this from a college class I took 7 years ago.

I would consider getting into school to advance your knowledge and certifications in your field. I would also consider getting evaluated for a "drug problem". I personally think that weed is similar to alcohol in that some people can use marijuana without being an addict as some people can drink alcohol without being an alcoholic. In any case, it would look good to future employers (if they knew why you were fired) that you voluntarily got yourself evaluated & either was cleared of having a "problem" or underwent an addiction recovery program. This is what my school requires students to do if they have come under legal troubles involving drugs or alcohol.

Getting into school would look good on your resume. It would make it look a bit more like a progression of a career, rather than "oh I got fired because of weed". Of course, potential employers might ask directly about this and in that case you wouldn't want to lie. But after this is a few years in the past with no further drug issues arising and more education, they might give you another shot.

You could also just apply to other similar jobs now & see if you can get hired somewhere else anyway.

Himm, if that had happened while you were on the job or you were still high or drunk and arriving at work I could understand it a bit more. But the testing you right after you've been on vacation sort of seems like it's almost an invasion of privacy or trying to control your personal life outside of work. If you weren't high at work then personally I don't really understand how marijuana in the bloodstream should be enough to get you fired. Do you operate some sort of machinery or equipment and they are concerned about safety issues? Drinking or being high while on the job, heck yeah but that's not what you describe was going on here. Is there any sort of review or appeal you can do, did you belong to any unions, can you consult an attorney who specializes in these types of cases? Given the cirumstances it might be there are options you weren't told about or that you could do that may get you your job back albeit on a probation period. Look back over any contracts you signed or work policies before you began the job, particulary the drug testing policies to make sure this isn't just a supervisor who's cleaning house and decided to focus on you and use that as an excuse.

Something about this just doesn't sound correct to me. Maybe I'm just naive though, but if you had a long and good performance record with the company before this it may be worth your time to at least see if you can tell your side of the story and get a second chance.

Archived