Insomnia or self-harm-help!

Foxface

I've gotten to quite a bad place in my life where my only coping mechanism is self-injury. I know how bad it is to harm but when I tried to stop my sleep habits went way of. I spend hours at night just lying in the dark trying to force myself to sleep but I can't. My grades have tipped a little bit and I find it harder to have good times with my friends. The thing is, on the nights I self-harm I generally have a much better sleep. I don't know what I'm supposed to do. Harm myself and live in a constant state of pain or let my grades go into disrepair because I haven't been sleeping properly. HELP

I've gotten to quite a bad place in my life where my only coping mechanism is self-injury. I know how bad it is to harm but when I tried to stop my sleep habits went way of. I spend hours at night just lying in the dark trying to force myself to sleep but I can't. My grades have tipped a little bit and I find it harder to have good times with my friends. The thing is, on the nights I self-harm I generally have a much better sleep. I don't know what I'm supposed to do. Harm myself and live in a constant state of pain or let my grades go into disrepair because I haven't been sleeping properly. HELP

Darlin I think you need to see a therapist so you can get to the root of why you can't sleep and why you want to self harm. You don't have to feel like insomnia or self harm are your only choices. What you're doing right now is very dangerous and a professional (maybe at school) can help you figure out a healthier way to handle things.

You aren't aware there's other ways to deal with insomnia? I used to self harm but was not re; sleep prob's. I know it's a form of 'release'. But do NOT do that in order to sleep.. shesh!

Either try something like sleepytime tea, cammomile and Melatonin. (up to 10 mg's?) I've been taking it cpl of yrs now. It's fine because its already in the brain. jut 'boosts' it, so no harm done.

IF you still can't sleep- i suggest go see doctor. There a number of things to help in that dep't.

My son just got put on Elavil it's anti dep/sleep aide.

Please do NOT do self harm though.. okay.

I have tried that kind of thing but it doesn't work. I signed up to insomnia helplines and researched it a lot. Nothing seems to work. I have relied on pain (emotional and physical (I take a lot of s*** from my sisters)) for so long and the reversal just isn't working properly.

I'm too afraid to see someone about it. I'm worried that my friends or other girls at my school would find out if I went to the guidance counselor at school. And I don't have the money to see an actual therapist.

I understand your concerns but what you discuss with a counselor should be confidential. I don't know how it works in your country but do you have or can you get health insurance as a student that will help with therapy costs? Or maybe some programs (they should be confidential) for teens who self harm? It sounds like you've been doing that prior to sleeping issues?

Archived