Birth control failure percentages

Vince99

What exactly do the percentages given for bc failure rates mean? For instance, if a certain method is reported as 99% effective, does that mean she'll get pregnant once out of every 100 times? Does it have to do with the percent of people who use it correctly? Does it mean that 1% of the couples who use that method correctly for a certain number of years will get pregnant anyway? Or am I missing the meaning completely?

Thanks for the replies. But also, condoms have a listed failure rate, which would not apply to a missed pill or dosage, or timing, etc. The method in use in my particular situation is an IUD, the percentage of which I'm not sure of. But I was just wondering what the number means, whatever it happens to be. (Something like 1 out of 1000? Maybe better?)

Thanks for the replies. But also, condoms have a listed failure rate, which would not apply to a missed pill or dosage, or timing, etc. The method in use in my particular situation is an IUD, the percentage of which I'm not sure of. But I was just wondering what the number means, whatever it happens to be. (Something like 1 out of 1000? Maybe better?)

You can get pregnant even if you have an IUD or are on any other kind of birth control. And, just to be clear is not a "you will be fine 99 time and get pregnant as soon as you have sex 100 times" Just because you do or do not get pregnant at X time does not effect if you will get pregnant at Y time.

Use the IUD, use a condom, and keep track of the fertility cycle and you will be pretty safe.

Thanks for the replies. But also, condoms have a listed failure rate, which would not apply to a missed pill or dosage, or timing, etc. The method in use in my particular situation is an IUD, the percentage of which I'm not sure of.

I knew two women who had IUDs and still got pregnant. The only thing that is 100% is abstinence.

The reason why condoms do not have a high successful rate is because of the user itself- using expired condoms, storing condoms in areas higher than room temperature, using lube that wears the condom's latex material, or simply not putting it on right. I've been using condoms for ten years and never had one break.

Simple as this: if you are ready for sex, be responsible to accept ANY consequence that comes with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure that by 99% effective, it means that with proper usage, 99% of women who use it will not become pregnant over the course of a year. Which likewise means that with proper usage, 1% WILL get pregnant sometime in the span of the following 12 months. It does NOT mean that you will become pregnant an average of 1 of 100 times you have sex.

Archived