Online dating pet peeves

Jennifer89

Since so many people do this- and so many people on these boards want to know why they are not getting responses online, I thought we could help each other out a lil', these are my personal top pet peeves online:

-The talker- this guy talks and talks and talks but never asks you out on a date. Man: I know this is 2013 but it would still be nice if you could ask us on the first date. The worse we can do it stop emailing you back. If you have no money, ask me on a picnic, if you have some money, ice cream or coffee, if you want to step it up, how about dinner?

The Stalker- this guy and I have talked once, and now he is constantly emailing me, "Hi" "Hello?" "Are you there?" ok dudes, listen up, if someone stops responding to you online, take it as a loss, and don't continue to email that person every time they get online. I swear this guy is just watching POF all day waiting for me to sign on.

The "yo wat up" guy- Ya ya, I know, many of us have traded in full sentences for texting and forgotten what a comma looks like, but if your trying to impress a girl, show just a tinge of effort, please?

The sex guy- We have all been there before (or most of us), between relationships, wanting sex, but single. I get it, and I've been there. But don't start off a conversation saying you want to date someone, and then asking them when you can "hook up" to see if you should date. No kidding. How about we date, then hook up? Crazy, I know. (And yes he did want sex first, his explanation was that we should make sure we are sexually compatible, then go on a date if we are).

opposite guy- Ya, we've all done it. Looked at a profile, found one small thing we had in common, thought that guy was hot as sin, and sent him a message. But for real, if your profile is all about God and country and hunting, and I'm an atheist, liberal, vegetarian...

You need to have a photo but I don't- Ya. No. If you don't have a photo up, be willing to tell me why, and if your explanation is that looks don't matter, don't have it written under requirements on your profile that I have a photo up. For real.

So, with that being said... what are some of your pet peeves in online dating?

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A hundred or more rejections before one girl suggests you email her, then she doesn't respond.

It's a dating system that's even more stacked against men.

I know it is, and I am sorry to all the man who put in effort and feel like they get no where, but there are also a lot of guys out there who just don't know how to respond or have a conversation online. And I know it's hard to figure out, but you know, we get the short end of the stick as well. We get all of these guys contacting us, and then either becoming obsessed or getting mad when we don't reply, but so many of these guys do the above pet peeves... I mean, I can deal with it to a degree, but...

I hated the men who had the gull to message me and say "You seem lovely/perfect...but you don't want kids! Why?/Can I change your mind?/Is it because you had a hysterectomy? (ie Is it permanent? Because I can change your mind!)

I always rudely told them off and then blocked them so I didn't have to hear their lame rebuttal.

I didn't like guys who messaged me and without as much as a "hello" started telling me exactly what they wanted me to do, when, etc. ("I've always had a fantasy of a younger woman like you making dinner for me, wearing an apron, blahblahblah")

Some really perverted guys...Ugh.

I HATED men who were obviously married....If he won't put up a picture, it's more likely because he's married, not because he's hideous. If he's only online during the day (ie at work) - MARRIED. DELETE DELETE DELETE.

I didn't like guys who didn't seem phased/interested in the fact that I was in school and bettering myself and trying to get a career going.

I dated exclusively older guys at the time so I bet I had to deal with a lot of different stuff.

Guys aren't quite as flaky when they get older, in my experience, and they do tend to be a bit more refined... but they can have a lot of baggage, higher liklihood of being married, and some are really pervy and strange.

....and yet, y'all keep going back to it as a viable method to meet people...lol

Don't get me wrong, I think using the Internet as a way to (initially) meet potential dates is a viable option. I met my husband online, and, probably wouldn't have met him at all if I had only used "conventional" methods as a way to meet potential dates.

There's a million kinds of crazy in the world. You see more of it when you're dating and you see more of it when you're online (even if you're not dating). Put "online" and "dating" together and the crazy multiplies exponentially. At that point you can decide it's the Worst Thing Ever or you can laugh and figure you'll be fine in the long run.

Ugh, yes, the guy who wants to change you when he hasn't even met you, LOL.

And yes, again, to the photo, I don't date guys who don't put a photo up, and I even tell them why, and that if they put a photo up I'll talk to them, but then you get the ol' "I don't have a camera" BS. Umm, yes, you do. On your phone, on your friend's phone, on your laptop, on your facebook page... who doesn't have a photo?

And again, yes, as a student, someone has to show some sort of interest, and I really would like a guy who will be in the same financial boat as me some day, in other words, someone who has been to school, is going to school, wants to go to school, or has there foot in a good paying job. I don't care if your rich, I'm not looking for a sugar daddy, but I'm tired of being broke all the time and I want to be with someone who want to earn and budget money.

Oh there's a guy that after 2 different attempts to send me a lame copied-pasted message , I replied him telling h to stop coping/pasting messages, and he came up with all stupid excuses, he wasn't sure if the message went through (really!?haha) so I deleted him, just to receive after a week later the 3 rd same copied pasted message, I wonder if he us blind or he doesn't e even look at the pictures b4 emailing. Online dating is a circus. But there's normal people there.

At that point you can decide it's the Worst Thing Ever or you can laugh and figure you'll be fine in the long run.

This is what I do. You have to have a healthy amount of scepticism but also self-confidence with online dating.

I have another one to add, which I have only just encountered - The Virgin looking to lose it. Now, don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with being a virgin, but I have had a couple of guys message me straight out telling me they are a virgin and in need of a girl to help them out.

You forgot the:

I'm bored and just here to fill time but have no intetion of meeting anyone (hence all the flaking) type.

Ooo, and worse than this - The, I've just got out of a relationship and here to fill the void. I don't wanna add "guy" to that cos I know that one can definitely be male and female.

The "Cliché" phrases, like "life is short".....so I should date you because my life is going to end soon?

"I like walking on the beach".....dude, we're inland, there isn't a body of water for hundreds of miles.

"Dinning out"......first of all, there's one "n" in "dining"......and now I forget the rest.

"Hiking and biking"....those hike and bike trails must be pretty crowded with bicycle and pedestrian traffic. Just like the beaches.

"Is anyone out there?" .....Nope. The rapture got us all. Guess who's left behind? Don't worry, I've got your dog, he's fine.

"I love to laugh"......yep, thanks for helping me weed out all those guys who hate laughing.

"I want someone who's as comfortable in jeans as she is in her little black dress" Now, what I'm really comfortable in is my baggy sweats, will that work?

"I'm well-endowed"......apparently not with brains or class.

"Height and weight proportionate"......Right, no fat chicks for you, Portly-Boy.

"My friends tell me I look ten years younger than I really am"......your friends either need glasses or want something from you.

"I'm in my 60's but I act much younger".......if I wanted someone much younger, why would I date a 60-year-old?

And so on.....

Another one is people who launch into a big angry tirade, scolding me and anyone else who happens to read their profile for all the transgressions they've suffered in the past. For example, "All you psycho golddiggers who are just looking or a meal-ticket or a sugar daddy, please look elsewhere! If you weigh 10 lbs more than your profile pic suggests, keep looking! I am sick and tired of all you fakes and wannabes, so if you're not real, don't email me!!!" And so on.

The Copperfield the person (guy or girl) who goes out with you more than once, has a good time, shows some interest for a while, and the *poof* just disappears. A text saying "i've moved on" may only take a few seconds but it buys you some dating karma

The Seeker They are looking to get married/have kids/find a soulmate/sell amway and nothing less will do! They ask you probing questions that make your worst job interview seem like a breeze. Unlike The Copperfield, they have a tendency to make sure you know exactly why it didn't work out

The Social Butterfly Obviously dating 17 other people, this person is impossible to make time with. They respond to emails once every two weeks. Coffee from 4:35 to 4:50pm on a Sunday? No thanks

The Stinker Take a shower and not in perfume (while rare, it did happen to me once)

Oh there's a guy that after 2 different attempts to send me a lame copied-pasted message , I replied him telling h to stop coping/pasting messages, and he came up with all stupid excuses, he wasn't sure if the message went through (really!?haha) so I deleted him, just to receive after a week later the 3 rd same copied pasted message, I wonder if he us blind or he doesn't e even look at the pictures b4 emailing. Online dating is a circus. But there's normal people there.

Oh the repeat copy and paster makes me laugh. It's always obvious anyway but getting proof is funny.

When pictures are taken of someone from miles away.

Oh yes!

The long distance guy- Even though he is not from the same state, he still wants to date you. And I'm not just saying he lives 2 hours away, he's a plane ride away and you don't even know him, but he wants YOU. Why? Because he comes into your town, oh... once per year. The perfect relationship. Or, worse, he doesn't live in the same state, or country! Yet he plans on visiting America some day and wants you to just wait around until he does.

*Disclaimer* I say "guy" but it's obvious that women are doing the same thing, I only say "guy" because I look at guy's profiles, not the ladies!

Oh, I just thought of a good one!

The insulter- these guys enjoy insulting women in there profiles, such as "Most women just want my money" or "Most women are fake" umm, ok, as much as the robots and gold diggers are insulted by those remarks (especially when you look like you live in the ghetto), you are really missing out on the very real, very interested ladies out there. In other words, you just aren't ready for a relationship. Fine. You could have just said that!

Archived